A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

What's the big deal?So what, 4 Chinese movies are getting re-released in IMAX theaters for the remainder of the year. You really think TDKR can make much money from Sep 27 until Dec 31 in Imax? It won't be losing much because by Sep 27 nobody will be interested with it anyway.

These four crap local movies are not re-releases but new releases.I am not worrying about TDKR but Skyfall. The dates of these movies basically killed the possibility of the release of Skyfall in 2012 and Hobbit in Jan. 2013.Huayi's movies always get the best release dates and they are the one that always make Hollywood movies pushed or even canceled. They are THE EVIL STUDIO.

You are speaking as if Skyfall (because it's a Western movie) should get priority. The West is not more important than the East. Skyfall will have plenty of other markets. These Chinese movies will not. It's all about perspective, and not greed.

Movies are movies, and Chinese movies being shown in China over Western movies, is nothing that I am concerned about at all.

• Like 1

I have no problems against giving priority to Chinese films in terms of better release dates and premium screens, but to release the Hollywood films all at once for the sole purpose of minimizing their grosses, that I have a problem with.

• Like 1

You are speaking as if Skyfall (because it's a Western movie) should get priority. The West is not more important than the East. Skyfall will have plenty of other markets. These Chinese movies will not. It's all about perspective, and not greed.

Movies are movies, and Chinese movies being shown in China over Western movies, is nothing that I am concerned about at all.

Good point.

I agree, that shit just makes me

Posted Image

That's because it's an immature market.

When Transformers 3 came, it took over two thirds of the screens for like two weeks. Well, is that normal? Hell no, just as abnormal as releasing TDKR and TASM at the same time. But will you get mad at sth like that? No, because it helped the hollywood film having a monstrous performance.

The point, if one film benefits hugely from the immature market, we shouldn't be surprised another suffers from it. Untill the market is fully open and developed, shit like that will only keep happening from time to time.

The other reason I hate Huayi is that they always cast Taiwan and South Korean's actors in their movie rather than mainland's own actors for unknown reasons.In fact after I watched the crap Painted skin with the damn fake 3D this summer, I decided to boycott its movies for rest of the year. :)

So which genres have better appealing to Chinese audience ?

It seems:

big budget sci fi > big budget disaster > big budget action/superhero > big budget fantasy / animation > moderate budget sci-fi/action/thriller > drama > American Horror > American comedy

1.Titanic 3D $155M #1 (rank of OS markets)

2. MI4 $107M #1

3. TA $91.42M #1

4. MIB3 $82.05M #1

5. Ice Age 4 $72.67M #1

6. Journey 2 $61M #1

7. Battleship $51 #1

8. The Dark Knight Rises $45M #2

9. The Amazing Spiderman $43.7M #1

10. John Carter $42M #1

11. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted $34.1M #4

12. Sherlock Holmes 2 $29M #2

13. The Hunger Games $28.78M #3