A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

I dont think Dredd can get a China release. It's crazy violent from what I heard and maybe even have some politically sensitive elements, which the Chinese goverment always keep an close eye on. Anyway, bunches of other foreign movies are waiting to get a China release. Why Dredd.Afraid no such table. But apparantly, The Flowers Of War is the most expensive Chinese film ever with a reported budget of $94M. Red Cliff (赤壁) (part 1 and part 2 combined) costed $70M widely said. Rest Chinese movies cost much less than the two. Usually a big Chinese movie costs a range of $5M-15M to produce. For smaller movies, even far less than $1M. This summer's hit, Painted Skin 2 (画皮2) only costed about 10M, according to insiders, despite officially reported120M yuan / 19M.

why dredd? you have answered yourself. it is different than others (violent, etc...) as i said we need smaller, different films with higher budget to succed and it seems china box office is the key to that success. but i understand violent, politically incorect films will not be embraced by chinese goverment.10 years ago i followed chinese big budget production. hero, promise, flying daggers. (few years agoi stopped, too many mwediocore movies) these films were in 30-40M budget sphere, which was impossible back than, they didnt earn more than 15-20M back. it seems now top 5 chinese films from each year can collect over 20M (the best one even 100M) but budgets are smaller today (10-15M max.) have chinese film makers learn economics or were those first blockbusters (hero, promise) sponsored by goverment?

Is E.T. really a re-release, though? Surely it actually has to have been released once for the second release to be considered a re-release. There is no recollection of it ever being released in the 80's because China was a closed country then, plus they probably had about 30 cinemas in the entire country.

Edited by The Toymaker

why dredd? you have answered yourself. it is different than others (violent, etc...) as i said we need smaller, different films with higher budget to succed and it seems china box office is the key to that success. but i understand violent, politically incorect films will not be embraced by chinese goverment.10 years ago i followed chinese big budget production. hero, promise, flying daggers. (few years agoi stopped, too many mwediocore movies) these films were in 30-40M budget sphere, which was impossible back than, they didnt earn more than 15-20M back. it seems now top 5 chinese films from each year can collect over 20M (the best one even 100M) but budgets are smaller today (10-15M max.) have chinese film makers learn economics or were those first blockbusters (hero, promise) sponsored by goverment?

As Shpongle and other members here said, problem is Dredd went over-violent. And its fascist society set is a little too politically sensitive. Not to mention, for it to a get a release, first a Chinese distributor should buy its China distribution right. dont think any company would take this risk (since their money may never gets pay off.)A fews years ago, the 30-40M budgeted big movies were always directed by the 3 big Chinese directors, Zhang YimouChen Kaige, John Woo. Unfortunitely, these movies barely got financial balance. Since then the budgets of big movies went down despite overal movie budgets keep increasing. Today, they are more certering on the marketing and advertising, paying much more on ads.

Is E.T. really a re-release, though? Surely it actually has to have been released once for the second release to be considered a re-release. There is no recollection of it ever being released in the 80's because China was a closed country then, plus they probably had about 30 cinemas in the entire country.

I HIGHLY doubt that E.T. got released day-and-date with the USA back in 1982.

It deifinitely was not a re-release in 2002. That was the first release of E.T. in China ever, so it needs to come off the list.

Depending on how we define "re-release" .

What sure is the 2002 E.T. release in China is The 20th Anniversary Version. The version also get released in dozons of OS markets, collecting $32,829,448 in total: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=et20th.htm

E.T. was not released in China in 1980s. That's true. However, the 2002 China release was part of its 2002 worldwide re-release. So could it (E.T. (20th Anniversary)) be a re-release everywhere else but just a release in China ? Weird but not sure.

• Like 1

Not to mention, for it to a get a release, first a Chinese distributor should buy its China distribution right. dont think any company would take this risk (since their money may never gets pay off.)Today, they are more certering on the marketing and advertising, paying much more on ads.

i forgot. revenue shared gross movies are still very limited, only big studios can squize into a tiny schedule.didnt they do expensive advertising for movies like hero or promise back then? how else they could earn couple of times an average successfull chinese film at the time?

Bad news: The release date of Looper has been delayed, being kicked out of national holiday week.

The coming "big national holiday cake" will be shared by four new local movies. Sad for Looper.. :(

Fuck Huayi.

i forgot. revenue shared gross movies are still very limited, only big studios can squize into a tiny schedule.

didnt they do expensive advertising for movies like hero or promise back then? how else they could earn couple of times an average successfull chinese film at the time?

Yes, they did. but no as much as nowadays.

Is it possible that it does' ent?

It's locked to smash TASM down ...

The contingent for revenue shared movies is rather limited(35?). Could not they make a fake buy-out deal? Find a Chines partner that buys the distribution rights wholy, but in reality lets the foreign movie company in someway participate on the revenue generated by this movie? All you need is a trustworthy partner in China.