A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

For reference:

Biggest week in China thus far is the week when Titanic 3D debuted (2012/04/10, a Tuesday opening) $74M, total national weekly box office revenue 530M yuan ($84M).

Last week, well, lets say Looper opened with $24M. And we know it was performing on par with three local titles. And there were notable holdovers. Which means an at least $100M week for 9.24~9.30. A much bigger week than Titanic 3D week ? That was just IMPOSSIBLE !!! Not to mention it was the week right before the country's second biggest holiday. Pre-holiday week is always a weak week, if not the weakest.

Screen count-wise, Looper was on some 2,300 screens last Saturday and Sunday, 1,000+ on Friday. Lets just use 2,000 screens and 30 yuan average ticket price and 6 shows per day per screen, then you get 140 people per shows. That DOESNOT make any sense at all. Even Titanic 3D had "only" 93.

Also opened on Friday, Sony's summer hit MIB3, managed a 25M opening week via 4,000+ (double Looper's) 3D/IMAX/2D (3D and IMAX boosts) screens. Superhit MIB3 OW had 53 Per Show Attendence. :rolleyes:

The $24M OW saying was definitely a low-level mistake from the very beginning.

Blockbusters OW PSA ranks in China:

TF3 99 (July)

Titanic 3D 93 (April)

MI4 86 (Jan)

TA 76 (May)

MIB3 53 (May)

Edited by firedeep

From the Guardian UK:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/oct/04/looper-chinese-box-office-error?CMP=twt_gu

Film industry blog Deadline's original report had suggested Looper took $23-$25m in China, a figure which compared favourably with the US bow of $20.8m (£12.9m), leading many media outlets, including the Guardian, to suggest that a key power-shift had occurred in the global film business. Analysts reasoned that Johnson's tale of time-travelling hitmen, which stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis and Emily Blunt, had been boosted by its status as a US-Chinese co-production and several scenes and characters based in the far east. In order to placate Chinese partners, large sequences were relocated from the US toChina – which, 60 years in the future, has become the world's greatest superpower – and Chinese actor Qing Xu was added to the cast as Willis's wife.

In fact, officials who reported the Chinese box office simply mixed up yuan and dollars at several sites. The true Chinese box office may have been as low as $5-7m, Deadline reports, and the film may not even have opened at No 1 in the country.

Such a dramatic turnaround, at the very least, highlights the fledgling nature of box-office reporting in China in comparison with the US, where grosses have been a part of the Hollywood conversation ever since films such as Jaws and Star Wars ushered in the blockbuster era in the mid-1970s. The delay in correcting the erroneous data is thought to be due to a Chinese national holiday.

That figure was on many bo reporting sites.

But where did it originate? I'll have to go back and find the press release from endgame. I don't think a figure was mentioned. Edited by ECSTASY

• Founder / Operator

But where did it originate? I'll have to go back and find the press release from endgame. I don't think a figure was mentioned.

As I've said on several occasions though, Endgame does cite a figure. I'm reading it right now. And they claimed it was dollars when we talked to them on Monday. I don't know why I have to keep explaining this. I'm not saying they didn't make a mistake, I'm just saying that this is the most official word that's been given and yet people seem to want to trust other sites with iffy sources.

I told Shawn this.

I told you I was talking about box office sites though, which don't copy Nikki. We have the same sources she does, and if we don't, we wait until we get the information ourselves. ;)Like I said, I'm sure generalized media who don't focus on box office or film do copy Deadline frequently. Edited by ShawnMR