A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

I personally don't hope for NWH release in Mainland. Will just be looking forward for more Imported Films from non-English category mainly Asian Films. I believe Cinemas in China will greatly be profited by them. And it's because Marvel doesn't get release in China doesn't mean $2B-$2.5B days are gone but new market are arising in Africa and Middle East (KSA), providing large numbers unless affected by E.R.

5 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

it just doesn't have a release date due to boycott of 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics by its home country "US" and also because of "Marvel" logo in the film.

Is Marvel boycotting 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics? or somehow Matrix is not a product of home country "US" which is. 

China is banning Marvel because of SC and Eternals. It wasn't enough to ban those movies - so, they will ban the whole studio. This is only reason and they want an apology which they would not get.

Edited by Shanks
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, Olive said:

If it gets released during spring festival holiday , market gonna be very crowded, I doubt it can increase  from last one

Gotcha. In terms of Avatar 2, does it feel like it could be the first billion dollar film in China? I know SOME film will get a billion in China before the end of 2023, I'm just curious which will be the first. 

37 minutes ago, GoblinXXR said:

Gotcha. In terms of Avatar 2, does it feel like it could be the first billion dollar film in China? I know SOME film will get a billion in China before the end of 2023, I'm just curious which will be the first. 

12 months later, folks on BOT will be like:

When will Avatar 2 get the release date in China?

Will this movie even get approval?

I already write China off and expect it to do huge in box office without this market

• Haha 6

45 minutes ago, GoblinXXR said:

Water Gate Bridge on October 2022 (Winter) next Avatar 2 but I don't if there is any biggie film coming before that...

• Thanks 1

Tony Leung Chiu-Wai Chinese-Propaganda Blockbuster Eyes 2022 Release

Tony Leung Chiu-wai will follow up his turn as the controversial patriarch Wenwu in “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” with a lead role in Bona Film Group’s next patriotic juggernaut: the World War II-era spy thriller “Anonymous,” which just wrapped shooting this week.

The movie is the third installment of Bona’s “China Victory Trilogy,” a series intended as “a gift to the Communist Party for its centenary,” given that this year marks its 100th anniversary. Post-production is currently underway and an August 2022 release date is expected. It was first announced in June at the Shanghai International Film Festival.

The first pic in the trilogy is “Chinese Doctors,” which celebrates China overcoming COVID-19 in the early days of the pandemic. It grossed $197 million starting in July. The second film, Korean war saga “The Battle at Lake Changjin,” is the highest-grossing movie in the world this year and China’s top performing title of all time. It debuted on Sept. 30 and is still in local theaters, where it has grossed $904 million (RMB576 billion) so far.

Confusingly, “Lake Changjin” itself has a sequel called “Water Gate Bridge” that is not itself part of the “Victory” trilogy. It is also expected next year.

“Anonymous” will star Leung alongside Wang Yibo, Zhou Xun, and Wang Chuanjun. It is written and directed by Cheng Er, best known as the helmer of the thrillers “Lethal Hostage” (2012) and “The Wasted Times” (2016).

More than 90% of people who have indicated they want to watch the film on the platform Maoyan so far are women.

The production released stylized black-and-white photos of Leung skulking through set in a dapper suit reminiscent of his iconic appearance in Wong Kar-wai’s “In the Mood for Love.”

This time, however, he’ll be in the mood for patriotism, as the film series is intended as an ode to the progress China has made under the Communist Party’s leadership.

The story is set between November 1937 and August 1945, beginning the day after Japan’s attack on Pearl Harbor, when the Wang Jingwei regime — the government of Japan’s puppet state in eastern China — also declared war on Britain and the U.S., and symbolically occupied Shanghai.

“With the full-scale outbreak of the Pacific War, the situation for China’s war of resistance was therefore completely changed,” the production says, stating the film “tells the story of underground workers who risked their lives and hot blood to send intelligence and defend the motherland.”

“Shang-Chi” was never released in China, in large part due to the racist history behind Tony Leung’s character Wenwu in the original comics, which was not repeated in the film. It grossed $432 million worldwide from other territories.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/tony-leung-anonymous-propaganda-movie-1235142560/

this must be good

• Thanks 3
  • ...wtf 1

Thursday Update:

Fireflies in the Sun added ¥30.5M, reaching a total of ¥496M until Thursday. Looking for another ¥100M-¥150M WK. Be Somebody reached a total of ¥899M, certain to break ¥900M by morning. The Battle At Lake Changin  had a reached a total of ¥5766.8M today, looks like it will end on ¥5770M

14 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

My Expectations:

Water Gate Bridge : $1.5B-$2.0B

Avatar : $1.5B ($3.0B possible with great WOM

Seems like a humongous leap from their record $900 mil.

Is there even enough screens to make this happen?  

Will Avatar 2 even get more than 4 weeks? 

19 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

It's because of mocking Chinese culture, including Persona grata in their films as their casting.........this list will never end. NWH doesn't seem to have any problem but it just doesn't have a release date due to boycott of 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics by its home country "US" and also because of "Marvel" logo in the film. Sony actually can solve this in a day by removing "Marvel" logo but their home country has already taken much disaster steps like diplomatic boycott on Winter Olympics, sanction on human rights..... Making the film struck forever...

You can literally say the same for other studios, even the glorious Fast and Furious.

Then again it's always fun reading your comments about the topic.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Seems like a humongous leap from their record $900 mil.

Is there even enough screens to make this happen?  

Will Avatar 2 even get more than 4 weeks? 

Avatar 2 will get ~90 days Release windows 

Screens are added in exponentially, so already helping to drive more traffic..

5 hours ago, Fox20 said:

You can literally say the same for other studios, even the glorious Fast and Furious.

Then again it's always fun reading your comments about the topic.

Well, no offense here, but when Universal Picture release F9, John Cena did apologize for mistaking calling Taiwan as a separate country. 

What I want to say is that apologies does not meant lowering heads or losing self respect. It just another sigb of gratitude which mean that you are ready to follow the rules of the country for a second chance. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

What is a $600 mil increase from the record? Like 80 million more tickets ? 😳

Yeah, China Box office is just very massive but it has poor multiple for average. For which works are either at $200M or massive at $700M. Indeed this year, Detective Chinatown 3 broke all time the biggest OW in an single market with ~$400M

33 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Well, no offense here, but when Universal Picture release F9, John Cena did apologize for mistaking calling Taiwan as a separate country. 

What I want to say is that apologies does not meant lowering heads or losing self respect. It just another sigb of gratitude which mean that you are ready to follow the rules of the country for a second chance. 

This was an actual mistake for which apology is expected.

If few Chinese actors voice out your opinion about their homeland,,,why should anyone apologise,?

2 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Yeah, China Box office is just very massive but it has poor multiple for average. For which works are either at $200M or massive at $700M. Indeed this year, Detective Chinatown 3 broke all time the biggest OW in an single market with ~$400M

Water Bridge: $300mil OW -> $1 bil 

Still don't see $1.5 bil. Detective Chinatown 3 opened during their biggest holiday of the year