A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

30 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

From what I've seen, first day PS is not even higher/outpacing F8 atm. Is A2's PS more spread out or is it just below that overall right now?

Did F8 have "limited" Wed and Thursday screenings ? That might be lowering the first day PS comperatively since Wed+Thursday presales in China seem close to half of the Friday ones. EIther way i thought i saw some quotes that was outpacing the overall F8 presales

Edited by Gkalaitza

5 minutes ago, Gkalaitza said:

Did F8 have "limited" Wed and Thursday screenings ? That might be lowering the first day PS comperatively since Wed+Thursday presales in China seem close to half of the Friday ones. EIther way i thought i saw some quotes that was outpacing the overall F8 presales

No clue, I am not familiar enough with China. If I knew I wouldn't ask :P

21 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

No clue, I am not familiar enough with China. If I knew I wouldn't ask :P

It seems like it did have Thursday screenings but not Wednesday ones like Avatar (not sure tho) so it may be having an impact on OD indeed. Also looking back at the Presales thread it seems like Avatar broke 100m yuan in total presales a bit earlier than F8, higher ticket prices and all of course

Edited by Gkalaitza
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Roark said:

It only needs 850 more screens to match the number of theaters that were open back in June when Dominion came out.

Damn, but in Jurassic World defense I remember that while the overall numbers were pretty good Shangai for example was in half lockdown or something like that? Or maybe it was before the release? Otherwise doing over 200M should have been the minimum

Edited by MG10

A question for the more familiar with the Chinese market:

Given a good case scenario of no significant closures due to covid waves and Avatar staying in the theaters at least through Jan, what legs should we expect.?

I understand that China isnt a leggy market but even still Avatar would be projected to be have better legs than other holywood blockbusters there anyways. But with the theaters still only allowing ~50% in most places, Chinese citizens "starved" for a big cinematic escapist experience (like all of us tbh but maybe more so) , coming just after zero covid is being phased out + a probably great world of mouth,  could TWOW be even leggier ?

Are idk x3.5 legs possible or even likely on a $190m OW?

Edited by Gkalaitza

3 hours ago, JustLurking said:

From what I've seen, first day PS is not even higher/outpacing F8 atm. Is A2's PS more spread out or is it just below that overall right now?

Heavily, heavily backloaded. Avatar 2's Saturday presales are fucking 96% of Friday which is incredibly unusual; F8's Saturday presale's were like 45% of Friday at the same point.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Gkalaitza said:

A question for the more familiar with the Chinese market:

Given a good case scenario of no significant closures due to covid waves and Avatar staying in the theaters at least through Jan, what legs should we expect.?

I understand that China isnt a leggy market but even still Avatar would be projected to be have better legs than other holywood blockbusters there anyways. But with the theaters still only allowing ~50% in most places, Chinese citizens "starved" for a big cinematic escapist experience (like all of us tbh but maybe more so) , coming just after zero covid is being phased out + a probably great world of mouth,  could TWOW be even leggier ?

Are idk x3.5 legs possible or even likely on a $190m OW?

China is an incredibly flexible market as long as you still have enough demand. It can kill some movies instantly with 1.5x and can also generate 5x or even 10x out of nowhere. So yes, it can leg out to 3.5x from 190M.

Edited by nguyenkhoi282
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, hw64 said:

Heavily, heavily backloaded. Avatar 2's Saturday presales are fucking 96% of Friday which is incredibly unusual; F8's Saturday presale's were like 45% of Friday at the same point.

This is the most incredible thing I’ve ever see,which means Avatar attract a bunch of people who is not even Avatar’s fans to watch the film ,that’s JC movie’s magic,he can attract all age of entire world’s people

5 minutes ago, Bruce said:

This is the most incredible thing I’ve ever see,which means Avatar attract a bunch of people who is not even Avatar’s fans to watch the film ,that’s JC movie’s magic,he can attract all age of entire world’s people

It's likely more of an indication of the lack of available seats. While total theaters opened are now up to 75%, aren't theaters operating at reduced capacity (50-75% in most cases)? That would bring the actual seat count available down to 45-55% of full capacity. 

4 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

It's likely more of an indication of the lack of available seats. While total theaters opened are now up to 75%, aren't theaters operating at reduced capacity (50-75% in most cases)? That would bring the actual seat count available down to 45-55% of full capacity. 

that's some factor but james cameron's film is universal,not only movie fans watch his film but all people,you can see his film break record everywhere,you can't find a single place that his movie is not popular(even in North Korea his Titanic become popular!),that's his magic,I reckon if animals or aliens can understand the concept of movie they will love him

Edited by Bruce

5 minutes ago, Bruce said:

that's some factor but james cameron's film is universal,not only movie fans watch his film but all people,you can see his film break record everywhere,you can't find a single place that his movie is not popular(even in North Korea his Titanic become popular!),that's his magic,I reckon if animals or aliens can understand the concept of movie they will love him

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with what I said but I agree his films are popular everywhere :hahaha:

23 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

The Avatar re-release in China behaved very similarly, and there are 150,000 screenings of Avatar 2 on opening Friday. No other re-release in 2021 behaved similarly to the Avatar re-release, nor have I see any other movie behave similarly to how Avatar 2 is behaving recently. I don't think this has anything significantly to do with seating capacity at all, it's far more just Avatar's naturally backloaded nature showing up again.

Edited by hw64
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, hw64 said:

The Avatar re-release in China behaved very similarly, and there are 150,000 screenings of Avatar 2 on opening Friday. No other re-release in 2021 behaved similarly to the Avatar re-release, nor have I see any other movie behave similarly to how Avatar 2 is behaving recently. I don't think this has anything significantly to do with seating capacity at all, it's far more just Avatar's naturally backloaded nature showing up again.

Fair enough. What was the opening and legs for the Avatar re-release? 

EDIT: Looks like $21.3M OW / $57.7M Total.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

seems a bit risky

It says just 80 cinemas and doesnt say how many screenings or for how long. Even if its 200 it will do more good than bad by getting some people who havent watched the first one catch up and get excited and then go watch the new one. 

• Like 1