A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

NYSM is holding Meh. $22m total is still happening though, which is not bad.

too bad but Im prepared for 20

anything over it is a + :wub:

Congrats for Wolvie!

& poor Grandmaster

http://www.screendaily.com/news/weinstein-talks-grandmaster-cuts/5062647.article?blocktitle=HEADLINES&contentID=40295

ugh Weinstein :angry:

Edited by Leyla

Gravity will (hopefully) start on 11/20, not 10/20.

On a similar note, Control (a reasonably big local film that was supposed to open on 11/21) has been moved to 12/5. Presumably they're afraid of the pileup that late November is shaping up to be and noticed that early December isn't too crowded yet.

Edited by Bob Violence

The 34 quotas of 2013 are all settled:

20 ordinary releases (only these movies can have both 2D and 3D copies):

1. Skyfall (1.20)

2. Jack Reacher (2.16)

3. Les Miserables (2.28)

4. A Good Day to Die Hard (3.15)

5. Django Unchained (5.12)

6. Oblivion (5.12)

7. After Earth (7.12)

8. Sur la piste du Marsupilami (7.17)

9. White House Down (7.22)

10. Fast Six (7.26)

11. The Great Gatsby (8.30)

12. Elysium (9.5)

13. The Lone Ranger (10.5)

14. Wolverine (10.17)

15. The Last Stand (10.24)

16. Fly Me to the Moon (10.25)

17. Stalingrad (10.31)

18. Gravity (11.20)

19. RUSH (11)

20. Snowpiercer (12)

14 special formats (3D/3D IMAX) releases:

1. Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (2.22)

2. Jack the Giant Slayer (3.25)
3. Oz the Great and Powerful (3.29)
4. G.I.Joe 2 (4.15)
5. The Croods (4.20)
6. Star Trek into Darkness (5.28)
7. Man of Steel (6.20)
8. Pacific Rim (7.31)
9. Jurrasic Park (8.20)
10. Monsters University (8.23)
11. Smurfs 2 (9.12)
12. Turbo (9.18)
13. Thor 2 (11.8)
14. Epic (11) 

Bluesky Studio animation EPIC now suddenly gets a quota. Gravity and Thor 2 changed status. Gravity will have 2D version while Thor 2 wont.

7 non-Hollywood/non-US boxoffice sharing releases:

Les Miserables (2.28) ------ UK
Sur la piste du Marsupilami (7.17) ----- FR
The Great Gatsby (8.30) ----- AU
Fly Me to the Moon (10.25) ----- FR
Stalingrad (10.31) ----- RU

RUSH (11) ----- UK

Snowpiercer (12) ----- SK

21 buyout releases:

1. The Thieves (1.25)
2. Cloud Atlas (1.31)
3. Stolen (3.1)
4. Dredd (3.1)
5. Upside Down (3.7)
6. The Iron Lady (3.8)
7. RE5 (3.17)
8. Starbuck (4.29)
9. Ironman 3 (5.1)
10. Colombiana (6.7)
11. Sammy's avonturen 2 (6.28)
12. Bullet to the Head (7.9)
13. The Impossible (8.29)
14. Avgust. Vosmogo (9.13)
15. Jobs (9.27)
16. Now You See Me (10.10)
17. Hotel Transylvania (11.1)
18. Escape Plan (11.4)
19. Red 2 (11.8)
20. Were wolf Boy (11.8)
21. Catching Fire (11.21)
Edited by firedeep
  • Like 2

There will be 9 (4 revenue sharing + 5 buyout) foreign films in November, which is a monthly record, adding dozens of local films, making it the most crowded month of the year.

On November 8th alone, there will be 13 new films opening, including Thor 2 and Red 2, making it the most ridiculously crowded day/weekend ever, in terms of numbers of newly opening movies.

Nov.11 is Single's Day, which has been a popular theater slot since 2011.

Thor 2 was supposedly to smash at the box office through that week(end). But now without 2D copies, the power of God of Thunder has to be greatly reduced. Clearly some people want more breathe space for the smaller local films.

On the other hand, Gravity is a film that does not really need 2D copies, especially in a market like China. Well, it is somehow getting released both in 2D and 3D.

The explanation is that: SARFT (who else to be ...) is trying to reduce the potential demage caused by Thor 2 on a few local releases while making Gravity to competite with Catching Fire, which is scheduled just one day after Gravity, in a full way.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

SARFT: Shitty Assholes Really Fucked Thor

I wouldn't worry yet. IM3 got screwed and it made 120M+. PR got screwed and it made well above 110M so I'll wait before jumping to conclusions. I was hoping for 50M+ for Thor 2 which is still doable. 

There will be 9 (4 revenue sharing + 5 buyout) foreign films in November, which is a monthly record, adding dozens of local films, making it the most crowded month of the year.

On November 8th alone, there will be 13 new films opening, including Thor 2 and Red 2, making it the most ridiculously crowded day/weekend ever, in terms of numbers of newly opening movies.

Nov.11 is Single's Day, which has been a popular theater slot since 2011.

Thor 2 was supposedly to smash at the box office through that week(end). But now without 2D copies, the power of God of Thunder has to be greatly reduced. Clearly some people want more breathe space for the smaller local films.

On the other hand, Gravity is a film that does not really need 2D copies, especially in a market like China. Well, it is somehow getting released both in 2D and 3D.

The explanation is that: SARFT (who else to be ...) is trying to reduce the potential demage caused by Thor 2 on a few local releases while making Gravity to competite with Catching Fire, which is scheduled just one day after Gravity, in a full way.

Uh is is bad that Catching Fire was a buyout?  Usually those movies tend to be lower profile.

Thor is being Squashed.

Fuck you China

SARFT: Shitty Assholes Really Fucked Thor

I wouldn't worry yet. IM3 got screwed and it made 120M+. PR got screwed and it made well above 110M so I'll wait before jumping to conclusions. I was hoping for 50M+ for Thor 2 which is still doable. 

Yeah, no worries. Most blockbusters face similar problems, or much worse. At least Thor doesnt get delayed a singled day and doesnt need to compete with another big release. Most of the movies scheduled on November 8 wont get national wide releases and will disappear within a few days after opening.