A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

oh frozenatics  :rolleyes:

This has nothing to do with Frozen, Heisenberg - it's about taking the cinema seriously, loving it and then ascertaining that the top three movies of the year are craps for stupid kids or crooked adults. Most, though, don't seem to be particularly upset by that - which is symptomatic. Many could also reply that those films are actually pretty good - which would be symptomatic, too.And I just can't let disenchantment or indifference enter my blood.

‘Despicable Me 2′ Opening No. 1 in China with $13.8 Million

http://variety.com/2014/film/international/despicable-me-2-opening-no-1-in-china-with-13-8-million-1201046893/

Despicable Me 2″ bows in China this weekend heading for first place with an expected roughly $13.8 million.

The Universal-Illumination toon opened Friday to $4 million at 3,000 locations, 141 of which were Imax screens. This bow comes seven months after the worldwide release of the film and beats similar 2013 bows “Monsters University” ($13.2 million), “The Croods” ($6.4 million) and “The Smurfs 2″ ($10.1 million).

The numbers are particularly interesting given the film’s predecessor, 2010′s “Despicable Me,” never opened in China.

The bow comes just one week after China’s film bureau announced that 2013 represented a 28% uptick in box office gross over 2012, making it the second largest worldwide market after North America with $3.53 billion in annual sales.

The weekend estimate will bring the film’s worldwide total to $935 million, the fourth highest on record for an animated film after “Toy Story 3″ ($1.06 billion), “The Lion King” ($987.5 million) and “Finding Nemo” ($936.7 million).