A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Tuesday est 

Transformers 4 25.2M/$4.1M Total : 1777M/$286.6M(19 days)

Old Boy:The Way of The Dragon 15.9M/$2.6M, Total : 137M/$22.1M(6 days)

The Breakup Guru 14.2M/$2.3M, Total : 600M/$96.8M(19 days)

TF4 DOM Tuesday: $2.01m.

I wonder if it's possible for TF5 to gross twice as much in China as in the US. $400m in China and $200m in the US?

• Like 1

It will get an extension and now the NEW target is $350M !

It is impossible to go that high. The ultimate target TF4 can aim at is 2B yuan. Friday needs to be close to 20m for that to happen, even with an extension.

A question to all the China box office experts on this board.  Which new film (by two insanely popular young Chinese authors turn film directors) is going to win at the box office, Guo Jingming's Tiny Times 3 or Han Han's Continent?   Both films are releasing near each other, and I assume the competition is heating up.  

Edited by Ay72998

TF4 DOM Tuesday: $2.01m.

I wonder if it's possible for TF5 to gross twice as much in China as in the US. $400m in China and $200m in the US?

TF4 is increasing about 130-135 million relative to TF3 in 3 years. If TF5 is coming within 2 years, how much could this increase, another 80-90 million? It is definitely possible  :huh:

TF4 is increasing about 130-135 million relative to TF3 in 3 years. If TF5 is coming within 2 years, how much could this increase, another 80-90 million? It is definitely possible  :huh:

Indeed, but we are assuming all things remain the same: the rapid increase of screens, macro economy not getting affected, the quota system improves or at least stays the same, and the China market remain unaffected by the 3D fatigue that's already hitting domestic and many other markets.

Went back three pages, no one seem to be talking about the next wave of Hollywood releases.  The gates are set to open reportedly middle of August with HTTYD2...what follows after?

Breaking News:

Aug 14th --Dragon Trainer 2 

Aug 29th --Apes 2

Sep 5th   --Guardians of the Galaxy 

Sep 12th --Into the Storm.

Exp 3 on Aug 15th or 20th.

R.I.P Apes.

• Like 1

I think it actually will be quite likely because the Chinese actors were just tiny little sidekicks in TF4, and now with the money TF4 made in China, the studio will definitely consider hiring more Chinese actors and also give them big roles on TF5, which will be a major bump.

• Like 2

Wednesday est 
Transformers 4 24.8M/$4M Total : 1803M/$290.8M(20 days)
Old Boy:The Way of The Dragon 16.5M/$2.7M, Total : 154M/$22.8M(7 days)
The Breakup Guru 14.4M/$2.3M, Total : 615M/$99.2M(20 days)

Edited by A K A
  • Like 2

Wednesday est 

Transformers 4 24.8M/$4M Total : 1803M/$290.8M(20 days)

Old Boy:The Way of The Dragon 16.5M/$2.7M, Total : 154M/$22.8M(7 days)

The Breakup Guru 14.4M/$2.3M, Total : 615M/$99.2M(20 days)

$300M ON SUNDAY? I Just want it to react that number sooooo bad <3333