A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Fallen Kingdom made ¥1.695 billion in 2018; Jurassic World took in ¥1.438 billion in 2015. I'm guessing that Dominion might have a chance at becoming the first imported movie in 2022 to cross ¥1 billion (~$150 million), especially if the Covid situation can improve by that point.

Although then again, Chinese movies are now vacating June release dates, so… a powerful Jurassic performance could instill some much-needed confidence into the box office. Maybe.

China's box office has always been fun to track because it can be so unpredictable, but 2022 and the era of dynamic zero-Covid is raising the unpredictability to astonishing new heights.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, porginchina said:

Fallen Kingdom made ¥1.695 billion in 2018; Jurassic World took in ¥1.438 billion in 2015. I'm guessing that Dominion might have a chance at becoming the first imported movie in 2022 to cross ¥1 billion (~$150 million), especially if the Covid situation can improve by that point.

Although then again, Chinese movies are now vacating June release dates, so… a powerful Jurassic performance could instill some much-needed confidence into the box office. Maybe.

China's box office has always been fun to track because it can be so unpredictable, but 2022 and the era of dynamic zero-Covid is raising the unpredictability to astonishing new heights.

I really hope your right that Dominion could have a chance at a big gross, but i will probably still expect something like 50M just to not get disappointed when the covid situation there could maybe get worse again 😅

15 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I really hope your right that Dominion could have a chance at a big gross, but i will probably still expect something like 50M just to not get disappointed when the covid situation there could maybe get worse again 😅

150+ Million is happening. 

1 hour ago, porginchina said:

Although then again, Chinese movies are now vacating June release dates, so… a powerful Jurassic performance could instill some much-needed confidence into the box office. Maybe

They are moving, moving and moving....

"The Fallen Bridge"《断·桥》has moved. Current Anticipation was 285K

002do8-ZNly1h2agwvz7dvj60u016g41j02.jpg

"The Blue Summer"《暗恋 · 橘生淮南》has moved. Current Anticipation was 247K.

002do8-ZNly1h296dpjc16j60u014ygnv02.jpg

"Could You Don't Leave Me"《可不可以不要离开我》has moved. Current Anticipation was 110K

002do8-ZNly1h296dphkfjj60lw0wgtar02.jpg

"Puppy Love"《爱犬奇缘》has moved. Current Anticipation was 22K..

002do8-ZNly1h2agww0p3bj60u014040x02.jpg

More will move....

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 1

Monday Estimates

#1 Bad Guys : ¥2.3M / ¥132.1M

#2 Stay With Me : ¥1.8M / ¥136.1M

#3 Man On The Edge : ¥1.5M / ¥117.4M

#4 Fantastic Beasts 3 : ¥0.8M / ¥168.3M

#5 Twin Sister : ¥0.7M / ¥8.6M

Others (Total)

The Batman (¥159.2M), Moonfall (¥147.5M), Uncharted (¥134.1M), Hotel Transylvania 4 (¥94.5M), We Made A Beautiful Bouquet (¥92.7M), Escape Room 2 (¥60.7M), Ambulance (¥15.1M) &Marry Me (¥2.6M)

Last Monday

#1 Stay With Me : ¥2.44M

#2 Bad Guys : ¥2.39M

#3 Man On The Edge : ¥1.53M

#4 Fantastic Beasts 3 : ¥712K

Cinema Opened : 8370 / 11822 (69.4%)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

They are moving, moving and moving....

For the record, most of the domestic productions Isaac spotlighted in his post are local romantic dramas aimed at 5.20 (the numbers, 五二零, sound somewhat similar to 我爱你, "I love you" in Chinese, hence 5.20's status as one of China's approx. eight billion unofficial Valentine's Days). The movies could feasibly delay to another major Chinese Valentine's Day, 七夕, in the summer (this year August 4).

断桥 (The Broken Bridge) was originally scheduled for June 3. I think it's the first major release to vacate June.

Theater count has dipped again, back to the mid-60s%. I'm not really certain what the cause of the dip is; nationwide Covid cases continue to drop (Shanghai appears to have eased under 1,000 cases/day, assuming you actually trust the government's numbers, which… some people do, I guess). Could be that theaters are just starting to shut down due to a lack of business. Dynamic zero-Covid is going to take a massive bite out of the Chinese economy, and industries dependent on people showing up in-person, such as moviegoing, will be particularly hard-hit.

Tuesday Estimates

#1 Bad Guys : ¥2.2M / ¥134.3M

#2 Stay With Me : ¥1.6M / ¥137.5M

#3 Man On The Edge : ¥1.5M / ¥119M

#4 Fantastic Beasts 3 : ¥0.7M / ¥168.9M

#5 Twin Sister : ¥0.6M / ¥9M

Others (Total)

The Batman (¥159.4M), Moonfall (¥147.9M), Uncharted (¥134.6M), Hotel Transylvania 4 (¥94.7M), We Made A Beautiful Bouquet (¥92.8M), Escape Room 2 (¥61.2M), Ambulance (¥15.4M) &Marry Me (¥2.8M)

Last Tuesday

#1 Bad Guys : ¥2.20M

#2 Stay With Me : ¥2.13M

#3 Man On The Edge : ¥1.47M

#4 Fantastic Beasts 3 : ¥666K

Cinema Opened : 7898 / 11822 (65.4%)

• Like 1

In Mainland China, "Doraemon: Nobita's Little Star War" has got 85-days release window. It's the 5th shortest release window in the history of Japanese films. It's a Red Card problem after the failure of "Yo-kai Watch: Forever Friends" (¥827K) [D1 : ¥451K, D2 : ¥239K, D3 : ¥11K, D4 : ¥8K, D5 : ¥5K]

Doctor Who Reaction GIF

Doraemon Films in Mainland China

By Gross

¥529.16M : Stand by Me Doraemon (2015)

¥277.56M Stand by Me Doraemon 2 (2021)

¥209.26M Doraemon: Nobita's Treasure Island (2018)

¥148.93M Doraemon: Great Adventure in the Antarctic Kachi Kochi (2017)

¥131.42M Doraemon: Nobita's Chronicle of the Moon Exploration (2019)

¥103.42M Doraemon: Nobita and the Birth of Japan (2016)

¥x64.74M Doraemon: Nobita's New Dinosaur (2020)

¥x21.00M Doraemon: Nobita's New Great Adventure into the Underworld (2008)

¥xx5.90M Doraemon: Nobita and the Green Giant Legend (2009)

By Attendees

15,264,182 Stand by Me Doraemon

8,268,326 Stand by Me Doraemon 2

7,030,307 Doraemon: Nobita's Treasure Island

5,127,223 Doraemon: Great Adventure in the Antarctic Kachi Kochi

4,352,006 Doraemon: Nobita's Chronicle of the Moon Exploration

3,827,410 Doraemon: Nobita and the Birth of Japan

2,134,277 Doraemon: Nobita's New Dinosaur

Cannes: Donnie Yen to Star in Chinese Tentpole ‘Sakra’ (Exclusive)

Action star Donnie Yen has signed on to star in Chinese tentpole Śakra, an adaptation of Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils, a classic wuxia novel from 1963 that is considered one of the bestselling works of martial arts fiction ever.

The big-budget action film is set up for release during Chinese New Year 2023, the most lucrative blockbuster release window of the year in China.

The film will be directed by Hong Kong filmmaker Steve Cheng and produced by fellow hitmaker Wong Jing (From Vegas to Macau). Chinese studio Wishart is producing the project, and the company’s chairman, Weijie Zhu — a well known figure in the Chinese industry who produced Jia Zhangke’s 2018 Cannes contender Ash Is the Purest White — is credited as presenter. Yen will also executive produce the project. The film is scheduled to begin shooting in July, and additional cast will be unveiled in the coming weeks, the producers say.

Yen will star as martial arts master Qiao Feng, one of the central figures of the Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils story universe. The actor envisions Śakra as a potential franchise starter, with the book’s many sub-plots and compelling characters ripe for further big-screen adaptation.

Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils has been adapted successfully for film and television repeatedly throughout modern Hong Kong screen history, with the most recent movie version made in 1994 — The Dragon Chronicles: The Maidens, starring Brigitte Lin and Gong Li.

Yen is among China’s most internationally successful actors, having starred in numerous Chinese hits like the Ip Man franchise and crime blockbuster Raging Fire, as well as Hollywood tentpoles, including Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, xXx: Return of Xander Cage and Mulan. He can next be seen opposite Keanu Reeves in John Wick: Chapter 4.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/cannes-donnie-yen-to-star-in-chinese-tentpole-sakra-exclusive-1235148414/

• Thanks 2

Wednesday Estimates

#1 Bad Guys : ¥2.1M / ¥136.3M

#2 Man On The Edge : ¥1.5M / ¥120.3M (+1)

#3 Stay With Me : ¥1.4M / ¥138.8M (-1)

#4 Fantastic Beasts 3 : ¥0.7M / ¥169.5M

#5 Escape Room 2 : ¥0.5M / ¥61.6M (+1)

Others (Total)

The Batman (¥159.5M), Moonfall (¥148.1M), Uncharted (¥134.9M), Hotel Transylvania 4 (¥94.9M), We Made A Beautiful Bouquet (¥92.9M), Ambulance (¥15.4M) &Marry Me (¥3M)

Last Wednesday

#1 Bad Guys : ¥2.27M

#2 Stay With Me : ¥1.99M

#3 Man On The Edge : ¥1.48M

#4 Fantastic Beasts 3 : ¥704K

Cinema Opened : 7879 / 11822 (65.3%)

• Like 1

Not that Elvis, Crimes of the Future, or Three Thousand Years of Longing were ever expected to make a significant splash in China, but looks like all those movies (plus a number of other titles) are doomed since China is now angry at Cannes: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/cannes-2022-china-conspicuous-absence-covid-hong-kong-1235150139/

1 hour ago, porginchina said:

Not that Elvis, Crimes of the Future, or Three Thousand Years of Longing were ever expected to make a significant splash in China, but looks like all those movies (plus a number of other titles) are doomed since China is now angry at Cannes: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/cannes-2022-china-conspicuous-absence-covid-hong-kong-1235150139/

Local audience are joking that China don't need cinema because "we have another 97 out of 100 years of anti-pandemic mission."

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, porginchina said:

:hahaha:

44 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Local audience are joking that China don't need cinema because "we have another 97 out of 100 years of anti-pandemic mission."

Honestly… yeah, that tracks (saying this from my perspective here during day 49ish of Shanghai's never-ending lockdown where, regardless of the local government's pronouncements that things are opening up, the city remains very much not opened up).

Thursday Estimates

#1 Bad Guys : ¥2.1M / ¥139M

#2 Stay With Me : ¥1.5M / ¥140.3M (+1)

#3 Man On The Edge : ¥1.4M / ¥121.7M (-1)

#4 Fantastic Beasts 3 : ¥0.6M / ¥170M

#5 Uncharted : ¥0.5M / ¥135.3M (+1)

Others (Total)

The Batman (¥159.7M), Moonfall (¥148.4M), Hotel Transylvania 4 (¥95.2M), We Made A Beautiful Bouquet (¥93M), Escape Room 2 (¥62M), Ambulance (¥15.5M) &Marry Me (¥3.2M)

Last Thursday

#1 Bad Guys : ¥2.28M

#2 Stay With Me : ¥1.85M

#3 Man On The Edge : ¥1.48M

#4 Fantastic Beasts 3 : ¥753K

#6 Uncharted : ¥393K

Cinema Opened : 7844 / 11822 (65%)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, porginchina said:

Honestly… yeah, that tracks (saying this from my perspective here during day 49ish of Shanghai's never-ending lockdown where, regardless of the local government's pronouncements that things are opening up, the city remains very much not opened up).

Obviously they're not going to reopen before June 4. My relatives in SH are saying mid to late June.