A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

For MoS to hit $60M, Man of Taichi needs to bomb ...

On Thursday, Blind Detective is getting 25% screenings while MoS/BOF both only 10%, TT 33%. Too many screens for BD in my opinion. Not wise for theaters. It should have been like this: TT 30%, BD 15%, MOS 15%, BOF 15%, not TT 33%, BD 25%, MOS 10%, BOF 10%.

When MOT arrives on Friday, both MOS and BOF will lose most of screens, could be like: MOT 30%, TT 30%, BD 20%, MOS 5%, BOF 5%. Wanda cinemas are giving 60% of their screens to MOT, since they are one of the movie's producers.

That is not good for MoS's weekend gross.

How do you think Blind Detective will do in box office?  I like Johnnie To's past works, but I think Blind Detectives got pretty horrible reviews at Cannes in May.  

Edited by Ay72998

How do you think Blind Detective will do in box office?  I like Johnnie To's past works, but I think Blind Detectives got pretty horrible reviews at Cannes in May.

didnt know about that, but it is getting "great" raves now here in Mainland. Watched the trailer, not my type of movie. Thinking $30M tops.

didnt know about that, but it is getting "great" raves now here in Mainland. Watched the trailer, not my type of movie. Thinking $30M tops.

Well, horrible reviews maybe isn't the right word.  It got admiration from some critics who are fan of the tone of the film, but mainstream English-language press mostly panned the film.

Do you think its going to do better than Drug War?

To doesn't have a great box-office record (all figures from firedeep's annual lists, in RMB with the yearly ranking afterwards):

Love for All Seasons (2003, co-dir. w/Wai Ka-fai) - 10m, #21

Running on Karma (2003, co-dir. w/Wai) - 7.2m, #27

Turn Left, Turn Right (2003, co-dir. w/Wai) - 5.5m, #32

Yesterday Once More (2004) - 15m, #18

Election (2005) - 6m, #40

Triangle (2007, co-dir. w/Tsui Hark and Ringo Lam) - 27.4m, #21

Sparrow (2008) - 17m, #36

Don't Go Breaking My Heart (2011) - 96.2m, #37

Life Without Principle (2012) - 26.1m, #92

Romancing in Thin Air (2012) - 20.1m, #101

Drug War (2013) - 145.9m

Breaking News was released in 2004 but isn't on firedeep's list for that year, which means it placed no higher than #30 and made less than 2.4m. Throw Down isn't on the 2007 list, so it placed below #49/7.4m. Linger and Mad Detective aren't on the 2008 list, so they didn't place in the top 60 and made less than 6.98m. I'm excluding stuff before 2003 because the lists are too short for those years.

Note that even with 146m Drug War won't finish in the top 30 (it was #21 as of 6/20). I think it and Blind Detective will be in a pretty tight race--Drug War was more of a "mainland" film and got a lot of attention from the violence and the subject matter. Blind Detective is by most accounts more of a Hong Kong-style movie and its success will largely hinge on how eager mainland audiences are to see Lau and Sammi Cheng reteam after all these years. I think distributors and exhibitors are treating that as a bigger draw than it actually is. Cheng certainly isn't a draw by herself (Romancing in Thin Air was her "comeback" movie and look how well that did), and Lau might've seriously damaged his brand with Switch (for which he's sorta kinda apologized).

Edited by Bob Violence

Yup. That's why I thought theaters are giving Blind Detective too many screens. 15% daily screenings should be enough.

Mainland critics trend to dig certain HK produced movies, especially the ones from War Wai Wong, Hark Tsui and Johnnie To, etc. 

Is it already the last week where it should be out in theaters?

What movie? MOS? If so, no. Fireign/Hollywood movies typically get a 30 days/~1 month run.
  • Like 1

Screening counts share of Top 20 cities in China

Movie         Wed     Thu     Fri

Tiny Times 43.5% 29.9%  26.5%

BOF           21.7% 14.2%  9.3%

MOS          19.0% 12.8% 11.1%

Blind Detective N/A 29.1% 24.35%

Man of Taichi N/A  N/A  14.5%