A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 minute ago, Cookson said:

Will take it. Really just want it to get over 100m then see how far it can go from there. 

Maoyan Final Forecast is ¥938M // $129.7M C.E.R.

Taopiaopiao Final Forecast is ¥907M // $125.4M C.E.R.

Adj to GvK Forex - $143.42M Maoyan // $138.68M Taopiaopiao. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Maoyan Final Forecast is ¥938M // $129.7M C.E.R.

Taopiaopiao Final Forecast is ¥907M // $125.4M C.E.R.

Adj to GvK Forex - $143.42M Maoyan // $138.68M Taopiaopiao. 

Amazing! Thanks for updates. Are they increasing theater counts because it is doing so well? Is it muscling out G x K? Also do we have any big releases coming up at the weekend or next week that might challenge its number one position? 

April is a dead month until May Holidays - starting with Road Pictures' "Spy x Family Code: White" &Maoyan Pictures' "Howl's Moving Castle" from April 30 ~ Holidays are from next day i.e. May 1st to 5th.

GxK PSM (Pre-sales Multiplier) is good, so they are neither reducing nor increasing Shows. 107K Shows Friday &again 107K Shows Saturday

If there is an exchange of position, then GxK can move ahead of Heron for No.1 (which I don't want to happen) so it will do fine till April 30! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

$59M in 3-Days

¥100M Saturday

¥30M Sunday (Workday)

¥555M // $77M 5-Days Debut (I am expecting)

I would be really shocking if it misses 100M with a 77M 5-day 

I’m hoping for 115-120M

The Boy and The Heron

$59M in 3-Days

5-Days Forecast - $79M TTP / $74M Maoyan

@Maoyan

Saturday - ¥88.4M

Sunday - ¥22.1M

Final - ¥755M / $104M

@Taopiaopiao

Saturday - ¥103M

Sunday - ¥39.6M

Final - ¥782M / $108M

TTP looks better Maoyan is scared off

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I would be really shocking if it misses 100M with a 77M 5-day 

I’m hoping for 115-120M

Post-Holiday tends to have harsh drops. Perhaps, Quite reasonable for them to have a very rough ceiling but Competitionless Month will at the end favors both Heron &GxK for a good total

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Just really unbelievable how big anime movies are in china, just gives more incentive for Japanese studios to put bigger budgets into movies 

which is amazing 

We can see Budget improving from ¥1.0B to ¥2.0B in yen where ¥1.0B is still a lot for a Production Team per Studio. But, yeah China is a more promising market than North America

Edited by Issac Newton

Friday - Qingming Festival

1. The Boy and The Heron - ¥146.00M / ¥426.55M
  2. Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire - ¥86.50M / ¥595.84M
  3. Kung Fu Panda 4 - ¥19.60M / ¥288.46M
  4. Dwelling by the West Lake - ¥16.50M / ¥46.60M
  5. The Victims ! - ¥14.20M / ¥42.00M
  6. Viva De Vida - ¥10.80M / ¥193.40M
  7. Super Villain - ¥5.50M / ¥13.81M
  8. Boonie Bears: Time Twist - ¥3.22M / ¥1,981.28M
  9. The Snow Queen &The Princess - ¥2.31M / ¥6.04M
  10. The Pig, the Snake and the Pigeon - ¥2.16M / ¥653.16M
  • Like 5

Given projections I'd say 300 Million plus is likely worldwide making it the 5th highest grossing Japanese film of all time behind Suzume and in front of The First Slam Dunk.

Miyazaki seems to want to make another film and if he does the budget will be supplemented by this. 

Edited by tarabeesley

Fascinating, "How Do You Live?" has a shot of overtaking Godzilla x Kong here. Is it because of Oscar prestige because I found the film to be quite meandering and too out of focus to deliver something truly memorable to the audience. 

5 hours ago, Becker said:

Fascinating, "How Do You Live?" has a shot of overtaking Godzilla x Kong here. Is it because of Oscar prestige because I found the film to be quite meandering and too out of focus to deliver something truly memorable to the audience. 

Miyazaki &Shinkai are prominent Japanese Directors in China.

In Addition, Chinese loved Miyazaki for his Anti-War Efforts &Promotion of Heron is treated as his autobiography and a very last film

Also, let's not forget "The Boy and The Heron" was the 1st Miyazaki film to release within a year of Japanese Premiere. 

Comparing Year of Release

Castle in the Sky - 1986 Japan / 2023 China

My Neighbor Totoro - 1988 Japan / 2018 China

Porco Rosso - 1992 Japan / 2023 China

Spirited Away - 2001 Japan / 2019 China

Howl's Moving Castle - 2004 Japan / 2024 China

Ponyo - 2008 Japan / 2020 China

The Boy and the Heron - 2023 Japan / 2024 China

All played well except Porco &Ponyo didn't work - Porco was a limited location release while Ponyo got stucked between New Year releases. Totoro ($26M), Castle ($19M) &now Heron did more numbers in China than in Japan. Spirited Away did $70M, briefly took ATG from "Your Name" until "Demon Slayer: Mugen Train" took No.1 WW earnings in 2021!

Howl's Moving Castle will release on April 30 ahead of May Holidays from May 1st-5th! Already the Most Anticipated title of the holidays ahead of Wang Yibo "Formed Police Unit". So, Another hit is coming!

Two More Miyazaki film will release in 2025 (most probably) they are "The Wind Rises" &"Princess Mononoke"

Overall, What I want to say is that He is so special among the Chinese that whenever his films release, people will show up! Irrespective of whether they can understand his works or not (In fact, Heron Score is still higher than Suzume in Douban)

• Like 2