The Dark Knight

141 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Dark Knight

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This is one of the those that you not only appreciate it as a film, you also appreciate it from a technique perspective. I watched the making-of stuff from TDK bluray and what Nolan did with trying shooting as much live-action as possible is just incredible. If there has to be a new leader of hollywood movie-making, Nolan is the guy.

Edited by vc2002

The single greatest comic book film ever made. An instant 5 star modern classic that hearkens back to the rich storytelling days of the Godfather and Lawrence of Arabia.

The performances are simply out of this world, with the late great Heath Ledger's Joker becoming THE bar to which all movie villains are measured, and Aaron Eckhart and Gary Oldman each contributing lifetime achievement level performances, with everyone else rounding off the cast nicely.

Christian Bale (tied with Daniel Day-Lewis as our greatest modern actor) gives a subtle yet menacing performance reminiscent of Al Pacino in his role as Michael Corleone; Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman provide great character moments as well as subtle, sophisticated humour that is delivered with far greater execution than most films that try to cram as much unnecessary slapstick as possible (i.e. Transformers, Avengers) An iconic masterpiece of cinema and a phenomenal triumph of storytelling, The Dark Knight is a truly epic film that tops any other contribution to the genre by leaps and bounds, no matter how many jealous fanboys of rival companies bang their heads in frustration over their own failure to reach this level of quality or social relevance.

I don't know what to say about this movie. I was mesmerized when I first watched it, then step back a little bit when the "best movie evah" hype got unbearable and starting pointing out all the "flaws" that prove it's not that perfect. But a decade later I just see it as monumental piece of work. Nolan envisioned this like a Michael Mann inspired crime drama and he built something spectacular.

I think the most popular takedown opinion about TDK is that it's just a fine/mediocre/bad movie with an iconic performance that masks most of its many problems. Heath Ledger deserves all of the praise he gets and he is the most integral part of the whole movie, but I don't agree that the rest of the movie is mediocre or just fine. It isn't perfect, I think there's one or two better comic book movies and one or two better Nolan movies than TDK, but it's up there. Also as far as pop culture impact goes, every other movie of this young century comes a distant second to TDK, pretty much every other scene of the movie has become iconic. 

At last the most beautiful shot of Nolan's entire career.

giphy.gif

TDK has always been my least favorite of the trilogy, but until today I was not sure why. 

It happens to be the very thing that people love the most about this movie. The Joker. Once you already seen this movie a first time, the ‘Joker outsmarting everyone at every turn’ thing is just not that interesting. 

Fortunately, the last 25 minutes is gold and pretty much washes away any negative sentiments. 9/10