12 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Gremlins 2 - where do I begin?

It's, simply, one of my all-time-favourites. If I had to choose 10 films to keep for my lonely island sojourn, this would be among them.

It's one of the few films i paid for more than once - there's so much on screen you can't take it in in one session. (nor in two. G2 was unavailable on DVD for like forever, now that it's finally available it's easy slow-forwarding through the scenes. That is one well-played disc!)

It's so full of quotes and spoofs and references and reverences to nearly everything ever put on film or video, from Batman to Hammer films to Rambo to Quasimodo to Alien to the Munsters to Hollywood Musicals to Home-Cooking shows to Phantom of the Opera to Marathon Man ... well you get the picture I hope? And it has a kind of story to top! And it makes fun of Donald Trump and The American Dream and Career Women and Architectual Designers and Japanese Tourists and ...!

It starts with Bugs and Daffy and the good ol' WB logo animation and IT DOES NOT STOP - apart from the part where Katie relives one of the worst days of her life of course ... it's just a juggernaut of a film, going over the top - and more over the top - and more - and if you think it can't get more insane - well, it can, and IT DOES NOT STOP.

If you don't have fun with Gremlins 2, you're obviously:

- not interested in films at all, or

- a boring and uninteresting person, or

- autistic, or

- dead.

Or all of the above possibly.

A

edit: forgot to mention my favourite character: Microwave Marge!

Edited by IndustriousAngel
  • Like 1

I definitely enjoyed this movie. Any movie that can spoof its predecessor has to be good. It was one of the first movies I can remember that let the audience know that the makers knew people were watching a movie. It basically what Scream did as well, just as a reference to what i mean.

Very funny shots at the first movie and yes, there were a crazy amount of references, as well.

B+

To this day my friend and I still refer to the gremiln like he is real. When something goes wrong with my computer, it is the gremlin, when my keys are misplaced and then show up in a spot that you swear you checked before, it was the gremlin, when something, anything goes wrong, it has to be the gremlin. I am actually convinced that Spike has taken on a life of his own (kinda the way Freddy did in Wes Craven's New Nightmare) and lives to make my life difficult. Joe Dante's Gremlin's has had that much of an impact on my life. Gremlins was a wonderful film and it was a little more creepy than it was funny. But make no mistake about this one, it is one of the funnier movies that I've seen. It abandons all that was scary and atmospheric in the first and just adds comedy a-plenty. And I would seriously put this humour up against some of the funnier comdies of the 90's.This time the adventures of Magwai and Spike reach a skyskraper like building owned by a guy that has to be a distant cousin of Donald Trump. And if you think back to Gremlins, remember how much trouble the little guys could get into using simple household products (microwave, chimney etc ) well that is nothing compared to what they can do at an office filled with the latest technology. There are also many many inside jokes about Hollywood and such that you have to watch it several times to pick up on all of them. What is also great about the film is the two versions ( one for the theater and one for your VCR...not DVD but VCR, one of the funnier jokes involved a VCR ) I remember when I saw this in the theater I really thought something was wrong with the projector when it first went all strange. And I like the fact that the makers of this had the guts and the gaul to try something new like that. It kind of reminds me of Something About Mary when at the end the entire cast is singing that song. The movie never stops trying to entertain, and that is what I got from this film too. It will do anything to make you laugh, even throw in a little Hulkamania when he was cool.Gremlins 2 is one of the funniest films that you will see. And I'm just a little surprised that Joe Dante isn't still active so much in the business anymore. He made some great films and I would gladly see anything that he puts his name on. If you haven't seen this film for quite some time, then I highly suggest that you do see it soon. I was browsing through Rick Baker's filmography on the IMDb and I came across Gremlins 2. I rented it the same night and I was very glad I did. Not only did it make me laugh, it brought me back to a time when films like this and The Goonies and even E.T. were made. Movies aren't the same anymore and that is not neccessarily a criticism, it is just a comment pointing out that in the early 90's and the 80's movies were just different sometimes. This is one of the funnier ones, and one of the more entertaining. Do you remember a film by Amblin that wasn't? 9/10

• Like 2

Gremlins 2 - where do I begin?

It's, simply, one of my all-time-favourites. If I had to choose 10 films to keep for my lonely island sojourn, this would be among them.

It's one of the few films i paid for more than once - there's so much on screen you can't take it in in one session. (nor in two. G2 was unavailable on DVD for like forever, now that it's finally available it's easy slow-forwarding through the scenes. That is one well-played disc!)

It's so full of quotes and spoofs and references and reverences to nearly everything ever put on film or video, from Batman to Hammer films to Rambo to Quasimodo to Alien to the Munsters to Hollywood Musicals to Home-Cooking shows to Phantom of the Opera to Marathon Man ... well you get the picture I hope? And it has a kind of story to top! And it makes fun of Donald Trump and The American Dream and Career Women and Architectual Designers and Japanese Tourists and ...!

It starts with Bugs and Daffy and the good ol' WB logo animation and IT DOES NOT STOP - apart from the part where Katie relives one of the worst days of her life of course ... it's just a juggernaut of a film, going over the top - and more over the top - and more - and if you think it can't get more insane - well, it can, and IT DOES NOT STOP.

If you don't have fun with Gremlins 2, you're obviously:

- not interested in films at all, or

- a boring and uninteresting person, or

- autistic, or

- dead.

Or all of the above possibly.

A

edit: forgot to mention my favourite character: Microwave Marge!

why do you think this bombed at the box office

I guess the insanity was much too much for general US audiences. Also, it lacked the christmas setting. Apart from that it didn't do too bad; in Europe it did quite good actually, and it became a hit on home video. G2 only pales domestically in comparison to the first Gremlins, which really was a break-out success, completely unexpected (a bit like this year's "Ted" maybe - Gremlins was #4 in 1984 in the US, it made nearly as much as "Temple of Doom" and double of "Romancing the Stone" - both real crowd-pleasers).

Some inspired and funny moments, but that's it. There is no story, it's just an excuse for the director to make a laughable commentary about technology/modern lifestyle and Gremlins doing silly, mostly unfunny things. -20/100

Edited by Goffe