iceroll

Weekend #s Hobbit 84.7 ROG 7.4 Linc 7.2 Sky 7.0 Pi 5.4 BD2 5.2 pg 90

That's bullshit, Aragorn was the hero, he was the human character for us to relate to. There was no-one else more popular than him (gollum aside) unless you're a fanboy who loves Gandalf. Aragorn was the outcast, he was the leader and characters like gimli and Legolas were his side-kicks.

Meh.. didnt do it for me. Im a fan of the movies, not the books, but i dont see the love for him all that much, anywhere. Im not saying he was unpopular, but he wasnt the draw. Edited by Rovex

This is my problem. Im annoyed its likely to get less than THG not because I dislike THG, but because it demonstrates that the audience has contracted so much from the original trilogy. Both are books, but one has history, so where is the audience?

Both are books but one is a passion-inducing book. THG is a passion-inducer as of now (don`t know about 10 years from now but movies will be done in less than half of that so who cares) TH was never passion-inducer. LOTR was. LOTR created a Tolkien cult. TH was liked but it wasn`t discussed 24-7. It was,yeah, I like it, cool dragon, now so you think that Frodo was a hero or a coward? Is Sam the real hero here? Etc. Edited by fishnets

Both are books but one is a passion-inducing book. THG is a passion-inducer as of now (don`t know about 10 years from now but movies will be done in less than half of that so who cares) TH was never passion-inducer. LOTR was. LOTR created a Tolkien cult. TH was liked but it wasn`t discussed 24-7. It was,yeah, I like it, cool dragon, now so you think that Frodo was a hero or a coward? Is Sam the real hero here? Etc.

All easy to say with hindsight.. I still say that the movies created an audience who never read the books, and still havent, and i still think if it finishes under $400M then those fans haven't turned out.

Meh.. didnt do it for me. Im a fan of the movies, not the books, but i dont see the love for him all that much, anywhere. Im not saying he was unpopular, but he wasnt the draw.

No he wasn't the draw, the story was the draw, he was just the character people loved most (again, gollum aside) it's hard for people to relate to a bunch of dwarfs.

All easy to say with hindsight..

I was saying this way before the opening. I did up my opening predix to $130 mio when Shawn said tracking was slightly behind TDKR`s and I give it to some fans (peludo) that they can be very convincing about why they think their champion will be huge . But tracking is off more often than not. And I was always pointing out that TH isn`t LOTR and that different characters will make a difference.

I still say that the movies created an audience who never read the books, and still havent, and i still think if it finishes under $400M then those fans haven't turned out.

It created LOTR audience. This is TH. Yes, ME is the same, but many things are different. Trailers and posters did a good job showing the difference.This opened between TTT and Shriekapoo adjusted so on par with old movies. Not a failure. If fandom grew for LOTR, it doesn`t mean it grew for a movie set in ME that isn`t LOTR. Edited by fishnets

All easy to say with hindsight.. I still say that the movies created an audience who never read the books, and still havent, and i still think if it finishes under $400M then those fans haven't turned out.

How is it hindsight? To be fair to Fishnets, she was one of the few to argue that this wouldn't be 'that' big, its not hindsight, its more of 'I told you so'
  • Like 1

I have been trying to explain for weeks to this board that The Hobbit book never had the passion The LOTR trilogy books had.I even said that I didn't believe in the sales figures for The Hobbit book and people dismised me.People go to see The Hobbit film because it is linked with the LOTR films, not the other way around.As I predicted, TH disapoints because it is not a passion inducing story BUT I think the TH 2 & 3 will be more succesful because there will be Smaug, big battles and set pieces.

Being realistic and objective IS NOT wanting a movie to fail. Guilty eh?

Wanting a movie to fail? Lol.... I don't want any movie to fail. I want every movie to be a movie I can enjoy seeing again and again.But that's what I want. What I think how a movie will do on BO is completely another matter. I like to keep these two separate.
  • Like 1

Wanting a movie to fail? Lol.... I don't want any movie to fail. I want every movie to be a movie I can enjoy seeing again and again.But that's what I want. What I think how a movie will do on BO is completely another matter. I like to keep these two separate.

Then why reply Fake? You don't want any movie to fail, then the post does not apply to you. You shouldn't have replied. It applies to bitches.
  • Like 1

I have been trying to explain for weeks to this board that The Hobbit book never had the passion The LOTR trilogy books had.I even said that I didn't believe in the sales figures for The Hobbit book and people dismised me.People go to see The Hobbit film because it is linked with the LOTR films, not the other way around.As I predicted, TH disapoints because it is not a passion inducing story BUT I think the TH 2 & 3 will be more succesful because there will be Smaug, big battles and set pieces.

If you are a fan of the movies and dont dislike the Hobbit book (if you have even read it) then there is no reason not to go to see the Hobbit movie. Some contraction might be expected because thats the way the industry has been headed, but not this much.By the way I can relate to the Dwarfs, their pain was quite palpable. Aragorn i could care less about frankly.

Then why reply Fake? You don't want any movie to fail, then the post does not apply to you. You shouldn't have replied. It applies to bitches.

You posted that immediately after I pointed out the midnights so I thought you were talking to me.