iceroll

Weekend #s Hobbit 84.7 ROG 7.4 Linc 7.2 Sky 7.0 Pi 5.4 BD2 5.2 pg 90

Close enough....84.7...lolI find posts like this very myopic. Where were you 2 months ago or 2 weeks ago when people were saying this would open to 125-150 mill? Where were you 6-10 months ago when people said that if you predicted 300 mill that your box office skills were being called into question? Where were you 10 months ago when people said that this would easily hit 400 domestic and because films like MIB3 increased massively since the last one, this would more than likely do a billion overseas?Where were you?

Ummm it doesn't matter where was he ... I mean no matter what anyone said this is not a flop Just because a lot of people thought it would do 400 + mil doesn't make 300-340 DOM a flop number Not when the budget is 200 mil

So they are expecting Fake's projected drop for Sunday:Exhibitor Relations ‏@ERCboxofficeTHE HOBBIT breakdown: Fri - $37.5M, Sat - $28.1M, Sun - $19.1M, PTA - $20,958

Ummm it doesn't matter where was he ... I mean no matter what anyone said this is not a flop Just because a lot of people thought it would do 400 + mil doesn't make 300-340 DOM a flop number Not when the budget is 200 mil

Sure it matters. My point is it's easy for people to all come out now and tell us how silly we all were for thinking it would do 125 mill OW. But when we said that before, we were laughed at. So I'm just saying that if you didn't say it originally, kind of not really fair to say it now. And I'm not saying this won't be profitable, of course it will. With a total budget of about 300 mill it will easily turn a profit.

Ummm it doesn't matter where was he ... I mean no matter what anyone said this is not a flopJust because a lot of people thought it would do 400 + mil doesn't make 300-340 DOM a flop numberNot when the budget is 200 mil

In my books flop is decided based on how much a movie does relative to expectations, not relative to budget (though everybody is free to choose their own criterion).So in a way, the loonies have made this a flop, because they pushed the expectation so high. Kinda ironic, isn't it? ;)
  • Like 2

I wish i could find the original posts in the first 378 pages of the old Hobbit thread.....the ones where I said I think 300 would he hard....and then many told me and others like Fake and Fish that that low a number was ridiculous and impossible.

In my books flop is decided based on how much a movie does relative to expectations, not relative to budget (though everybody is free to choose their own criterion).So in a way, the loonies have made this a flop, because they pushed the expectation so high. Kinda ironic, isn't it? ;)

You're a beautiful animal and a destroyer of worlds. You were spot on!
  • Like 1

So they are expecting Fake's projected drop for Sunday:Exhibitor Relations ‏@ERCboxofficeTHE HOBBIT breakdown: Fri - $37.5M, Sat - $28.1M, Sun - $19.1M, PTA - $20,958

Makes sense, B. Though 32% projected drop is still on the optimistic side. And as such I'd say the actuals going down is more probable than going up. Not saying it can't go up, though.

I remember baumer laughing at me for suggesting Expendables 2 would do less than the first (DOM). Come one, let's not gloat too much, we all have our fail moments.

I don't hide from mine. I even make threads about my failures. I don't call people morons and tell them they lack box office skills if they make a prediction I disagree with.

Well yeah but when a movie does less than expected its disappointment not a flopA flop is something that doesn't make profit

Disappointment... flop.... it's all the same to me. Edited by Fake

HFR 3D looks to be sold out again today here, but everything else doesn't look too much better than yesterday.

I saw it in HFR 3D and came away quite impressed. It looks more like what we would see in day to day life and less like a film, if that makes sense.
  • Like 1

I was bullish on TH1 before it came out, but in retrospect, Fake was right: it's really acting a bit more like the first film in a new, spin-off trilogy. In that context the numbers are decent. What's interesting now is how it's legs will be. Obviously they'll be decent, but will they be closer to the LOTR films or just another December release?And, looking ahead to next year, will DOS continue the LOTR trend if increasing on its predecessor?

• Like 1