iceroll

Weekend #s Hobbit 84.7 ROG 7.4 Linc 7.2 Sky 7.0 Pi 5.4 BD2 5.2 pg 90

How is it hindsight? To be fair to Fishnets, she was one of the few to argue that this wouldn't be 'that' big, its not hindsight, its more of 'I told you so'

Thank you.And I want to clarify that I`m not saying Toldja with a triumphant glee. I`m simply stunned that so many people couldn`t see what was pretty obvious. Futurist tried to explain that too. Also B and others sorry that I`m not listing everyone.LOTR movies were benchmark for epic fantasy in 2001-2003 and later. Now the benchmark for epic fantasy is GoT. People read GoT books, watch the show and discuss plot point at the watercooler. They don`t read TH and if they do you won`t hear discussion for there isn`t much to discuss. It`s an enjoyable book but it isn`t analyse, live,breathe,eat,dream 24-7 type of a deal.Everything, especially boxoffice, should be put into a historical context. Market changes and not just physically (inflation, expended markets, 3D) but psychologically. Different things become "in" at different times. Skyfall is obviously capitalizing from Nolanization because Nolanesque is now the big way. Superheroes are now the big thing. Gritty R-rated epic fantasy is now ultimate epic fantasy not wimsical NZ travelogue like 10 years ago.YA is big with women.50 Shades of Grey...eh.Etc.LOTR came at the perfect time when franchises weren`t all the rage they are now,and, most importantly, aftershocks from TPM suckage were still felt. So something needed to fill the void. Matrix was supposed to be that but sequels sucked. LOTR kept high quality and emerged as the thing. But 10 years later, and in big part thanks to LOTR, franchises are raising the bar and there are too many of them for one to emerge as the ultimate one. And they are aslo getting creative. Once filming 3 LOTR movies back to back was a huge undertaking, now it`s how Marvel properties were developed and tied in in order to make TA as the ultimate Marvel movie. That`s what everyone look up to now, not filming back-to-back or splitting books because those are business as usual now.So, historically speaking, TH as a lighter LOTR arrived into psychologically and competitively different market than the one that greeted LOTR. Edited by fishnets

If you are a fan of the movies and dont dislike the Hobbit book (if you have even read it) then there is no reason not to go to see the Hobbit movie.

How about expensive tickets? More and more people are selective of what they are going to spend money on they see only movies they consider their essential viewing. You said yourself "you don`t dislike TH book." That kind of feeling about the book does not make a movie based on it an essential viewing because the book obviously isn`t considered an essential reading.

Not yet. I`m seeing Les Mis and Django first to earn free ticket for TH. I`ll pay for LM and Django because they are my essential viewing but TH isn`t hence why I`m waiting to see it gratis.

Exactly. You can't bitch about a movie until you've seen it ;)Also, my Saturday crowd was packed. About 95% full. I think the movie retained a large portion of the audience on Saturday. Not many kids though. Edited by Christmas Alpha

People shouldn't even be comparing this film to LoTR, let alone comparing it to The Hunger Games and Harry Potter.Are people forgetting that TH is a 300-page children novel? To expect the same box office results as LoTR is unrealistic.

• Like 3

I wonder how openers next weekend will do.

I dunno. TH got a A CinemaScore, but it's likely to fall more or less 50 percent. Jack Reacher isn't getting good reactions from test screenings, and the movie honestly looks terrible in previews. This Is 40 seems like it could be a draw, and it could do better than Jack Reacher. Monsters, Inc. 3D will benefit from virtually no family entertainment this Christmas, but as we all know, 3D isn't quite a draw anymore unless it was MADE for the format.

People shouldn't even be comparing this film to LoTR, let alone comparing it to The Hunger Games and Harry Potter.Are people forgetting that TH is a 300-page children novel? To expect the same box office results as LoTR is unrealistic.

LOTR was a more epic novel, 1,000 pages long. TH is just one novel, 300 pages.But I guess you can say TH1 was not as successful as LOTR because it was a prequel, and many of the characters didn't return. Though I do know Legolas will be in the second :)

You are obviously not familiar with the loonies at this site and many other sites. Lord of the Rings have some of the most passionate and at times on realistic fans out there. So spare me with your words now you should have been here 3 4 and 6 months ago and then spewed what youre saying now. There were some of who got called morons for saying they doubt this would make 300 mill. And even some of the more respected and nice posters here were telling us that there is no way or very little way this misses 400M and when saying it might not do 300 our box office acumen was questioned. Well do u like apples?
  • Like 3

You are obviously not familiar with the loonies at this site and many other sites. Lord of the Rings have some of the most passionate and at times on realistic fans out there. So spare me with your words now you should have been here 3 4 and 6 months ago and then spewed what youre saying now. There were some of who got called morons for saying they doubt this would make 300 mill. And even some of the more respected and nice posters here were telling us that there is no way or very little way this misses 400M and when saying it might not do 300 our box office acumen was questioned. Well do u like apples?

Oh wow, someone's getting a bit nasty. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Lord Of The Rings series. But realistically, to be comparing this to the LoTr is outrageous. Why would a 300 page children's novel prequel do as well as a 1000 page series that had A LOT more in it (and was released at a time where franchises were hot) Will The Hobbit do well? Definitely.Will it do better than Lord Of The Rings? Hell no.

Oh wow, someone's getting a bit nasty. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Lord Of The Rings series. But realistically, to be comparing this to the LoTr is outrageous. Why would a 300 page children's novel prequel do as well as a 1000 page series that had A LOT more in it (and was released at a time where franchises were hot) Will The Hobbit do well? Definitely.Will it do better than Lord Of The Rings? Hell no.

I'm sorry but you are a new poster so for all we know, you could have expected big numbers aswell...
  • Like 1

I dunno. TH got a A CinemaScore, but it's likely to fall more or less 50 percent. Jack Reacher isn't getting good reactions from test screenings, and the movie honestly looks terrible in previews. This Is 40 seems like it could be a draw, and it could do better than Jack Reacher. Monsters, Inc. 3D will benefit from virtually no family entertainment this Christmas, but as we all know, 3D isn't quite a draw anymore unless it was MADE for the format.

THIS IS 40 is going to be number 2 I guess.

You are obviously not familiar with the loonies at this site and many other sites. Lord of the Rings have some of the most passionate and at times on realistic fans out there.

Who also contributed to LOTR boxoffice with their obsessive compulsive repeat viewings on top of good WOM drawing casual fans. Oh, and ladies became obsessive-complusive too. I just can`t see obsessive-compulsive repeat business for AUJ, regardless of good WOM. It take special kind of attachment to keep seeing the same thing over and over and by a larger number of people.

Oh wow, someone's getting a bit nasty. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Lord Of The Rings series. But realistically, to be comparing this to the LoTr is outrageous. Why would a 300 page children's novel prequel do as well as a 1000 page series that had A LOT more in it (and was released at a time where franchises were hot)Will The Hobbit do well? Definitely.Will it do better than Lord Of The Rings? Hell no.

I think that you and B are on the same page but kinda don`t meet.The point is that what you say makes perfect 100% sense. But what he is saying is that rabid fanboys not only lack your logic but were prosecuting everyone who tried to reason with them and give arguments like yours. It seems to B that you don`t believe people can be so jaded whereas he`s saying they can and they were and still are. Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

Ha ha, you didn't type this, Lazy boy.
  • Like 1