iceroll

Weekend #s Hobbit 84.7 ROG 7.4 Linc 7.2 Sky 7.0 Pi 5.4 BD2 5.2 pg 90

Hey, first post on these forums (but reading for a long long time) :).First of all, I think that the movie was mediocre. Second half was really fine, sometimes even great (riddles in the dark), but the first half was very weak. The main problem was Jackson trying to mix the childish tone of the book with the epic tone of the lord of the rings trilogy. Additionally, the goblin king and azog didnt work for me, at all. Fellowship was a lot better in setting up the backstory and honestly, there are only a few flaws in that whole movie.While return of the king had a lot of flaws, it also had a lot of fantastic scenes which made up for it. The hobbit doesnt have many great scenes and that makes it difficult to live with all the bad ones (stone giants as an example).About its ow performance: I think that a lot of people on this forum had crazy expectations. Others tend to assume that the boxoffice results show that lord of the rings wasnt loved that much.I think that this movie will behave a lot more like fellowship, a bit more frontloaded, yes but certainly not in the return of the king way.The reasons why the lotr movies had so much success and why their dom/ww numbers increased are:a) general audience loved the quality and a lot of non-fans rushed out ow, especially when rotk was releasedB) they kept the tolkien fanbasec) their releasing schedule was awesomeWhy do you guys assume that the rotk audience will instantly return to a new franchise? Yes, it has a few characters of the original trilogy but this is no star wars prequel.

• Like 1

Hey, first post on these forums (but reading for a long long time) :).First of all, I think that the movie was mediocre. Second half was really fine, sometimes even great (riddles in the dark), but the first half was very weak. The main problem was Jackson trying to mix the childish tone of the book with the epic tone of the lord of the rings trilogy. Additionally, the goblin king and azog didnt work for me, at all. Fellowship was a lot better in setting up the backstory and honestly, there are only a few flaws in that whole movie.While return of the king had a lot of flaws, it also had a lot of fantastic scenes which made up for it. The hobbit doesnt have many great scenes and that makes it difficult to live with all the bad ones (stone giants as an example).About its ow performance: I think that a lot of people on this forum had crazy expectations. Others tend to assume that the boxoffice results show that lord of the rings wasnt loved that much.I think that this movie will behave a lot more like fellowship, a bit more frontloaded, yes but certainly not in the return of the king way.The reasons why the lotr movies had so much success and why their dom/ww numbers increased are:a) general audience loved the quality and a lot of non-fans rushed out ow, especially when rotk was released B) they kept the tolkien fanbasec) their releasing schedule was awesomeWhy do you guys assume that the rotk audience will instantly return to a new franchise? Yes, it has a few characters of the original trilogy but this is no star wars prequel.

Great first post.

I disagree. More time spent with the characters is time spent knowing them. Look how much time Aliens took till the action started. People have no patience.

Apples and oranges. Aliens and Alien spent quality time with characters, not 40 minutes of nothing. I can write a iJack-like block of text about how perfectly characters were set up in both movies. Not an ounce of fat. OTOH. KK boat ride was all fat, no meat. Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

it got an A+ rating from the under 18 crowd so maybe it will play well with families

It can`t. You people should stop dancing around the real reason for underperformance. It`s time to name the cause of it all. The writing was always on the wall. You have been warned. You knew what was going to happen. You knew history repeated itself this year already. But you still wouldn`t take seriouslythe Curse.Of.SHAYHIRI! Edited by fishnets

I dont get all the hate for king kong. As with all of jacksons recent movies, it it unnecessarily bloated (beginning and especially the canyon monsters scene) but it has beautiful moments. Watts and serkis were amazing and black wasnt that bad, even if i dont get the casting choice.The only reason why some remember it as a disappointment? Because they extrapolated jackson´s lotr success to a completely different movie. All that talk about king kong aiming for a billion ww ... completely out of line.

I dont get all the hate for king kong. As with all of jacksons recent movies, it it unnecessarily bloated (beginning and especially the canyon monsters scene) but it has beautiful moments. Watts and serkis were amazing and black wasnt that bad, even if i dont get the casting choice.The only reason why some remember it as a disappointment? Because they extrapolated jackson´s lotr success to a completely different movie. All that talk about king kong aiming for a billion ww ... completely out of line.

That`s all true but I think that movies that could have been great but aren`t because self-indulgent director forgot who pays the bills and made a slog out of a beautiful movie are more hate-worthy than something that never had a chance to begin with. And when the director deliberately repeats the mistake that everyone, from critics to fans, pointed out to him, than he deserves to get the beating. i`m glad that at least critics are less forgiving this time around since fans are still keeping him on God-like pedestal but if DoS turns out to be a slog before they reach important part, even fans will lose patience. Edited by fishnets

Still keeping my 320/350m dom prediction.

I think it`s realistic because PJ is lucky that his slogfests always have some big OTT action that wows the easily Wow`d and big emotional moment that he milks like a cow that makes people forgive the doldrums they had to sit through until then. KK had a good hold for such overlong snail-paced monotonium because of some OTT action and tearjerking finale starting with Central Park skating which is thought was LOL but PJihadists still think was hight of cinematic beauty. Nevermind that, in the hindsight, people sobber up and realized a slog is a slog no matter how emotional some moments are and how OTT action is but too late, slob has already made money and is spending it on cheesburger binge while plotting to break every Tintin panel into 3 hours long movie each. Edited by fishnets

And when the director deliberately repeats the mistake that everyone, from critics to fans, pointed out to him, than he deserves to get the beating. i`m glad that at least critics are less forgiving this time around since fans are still keeping him on God-like pedestal

I think that jackson doesnt see it as a mistake to bloat a movie. I have the feeling that he realizes his weakness but actually likes it, loving the material so much :).I agree that it is laughable that some people are loving a director (no matter if its jackson, nolan, spielberg or even kubrick) so much that they just cant stand an obviously mediocre movie by said director. I mean, come on, those guys arent gods or geniuses.

I think that jackson doesnt see it as a mistake to bloat a movie. I have the feeling that he realizes his weakness but actually likes it, loving the material so much :).

He`s loving himself too much. Overindulgence = selfishness. It`s all about what I want as opposed to what`s right.

I agree that it is laughable that some people are loving a director (no matter if its jackson, nolan, spielberg or even kubrick) so much that they just cant stand an obviously mediocre movie by said director. I mean, come on, those guys arent gods or geniuses.

This.

He`s loving himself too much. Overindulgence = selfishness. It`s all about what I want as opposed to what`s right.

That´s not necessarily true, its his artistic choice. And I have to say that there are some directors out there who would really have lost their unique style if they just went with the opinion of critics and the general public. We might have missed out on a lot of amazing movies.