CAYOM 2.0: A Five Year Retrospective

Might do a top 50 of just Y4 and Y5, but for now, my top 10 of my own films. The top three are the only ones I consider really great.10. Lucid9. The Flash8. Lord Madship7. Booster Gold6. Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson vs. Bigfoot5. The Fault in Our Stars4. Citizen Hughes3. Shiverin' Gulch2. The Last Six1. The Dogs of Babel

I'll do a top 50 for ever since I came in Y4. Here are my 10 favorite films that I made.1. The Eccentric Minds Of Belmond Lane2. Spark3. The Glass Castle4. Psychonauts5. The Simulation6. Stories From Eden7. Student Film8. Ready, Player One9. Santa Claus: Ultimate Badass10. Some Assembly Required

In retrospective my 10 favourite films that I wrote. 10. The 39 Clues: Maze of Bones9. In the Line of Service8. Catharsis7. Bobby6. Love in Poitiers5. Divisions4. Wenan3. Worlds Apart2. The Coming Storm1. Empty Hearth

Alfred Vast Dark 2 came close to making it into my Top 50. The list still needs a little refining before I post it.If I decide to remove all of my films then Vast Dark 2 will make it in!

Edited by 4815162342

My top 50, not including my films:50 Barbarians49 Killer Husband48 Dodge City47 The Island46 Call Of Duty: On Their Own Accord45 El Libertador44 Unbalanced43 Barren World42 Ready, Player One41 Our City40 My Life To Waste39 LoveBytes38 Oro37 Prodigy36 Love in Poitiers35 Citizen Hughes 34 Spark 33 Sylvarius32 Wenan31 The Summer Story30 The Glass Castle 29 Apocalypse28 The Chrysalids27 Trader Haters26 Wings of Icarus

25 Fatal Rendezvous24 Appian Way23 The Good Die Young22 Nirvana21 Empty Hearth20 THE ECCENTRIC MINDS-----------of-------------------BELMOND LANE19 Past Tense18 Santa Claus: Ultimate Badass17 Red Rabbit16 Rapture15 The Morrow II14 Genesis13 The Ice Bridge12 Catharsis11 The Shark Mutiny

Top 10 tomorrow...

• Like 3

Numbers' 50 Best Films of Years 1-5 (#50-36)

50. Spellforce: Breath of Winter (Year 3)

Player: SilverShark

The middle Spellforce entry is the franchise's most cold and melancholy, which gives it a gravitas and depth beyond most blockbusters and is for certain the highlight of the Spellforce saga.

49. Sylvarius (Year 4)

Player: Numbers

Commentary omitted

48. Love in Poitiers (Year 3)

Player: riczhang

A tour de force of dialogue, the film acts as a prequel in many ways to the acclaimed 1968 film The Lion in Winter. Meryl Streep, Michael Sheen, and Glenn Close carve up the screen with their sharp and witty dialogue and the schemes abound in this enjoyable, stagey piece.

47. Alien-Nation (Year 1)

Player: WaterBottle

A more grim and pessimistic take on a man's obsession with alien life, there isn't any Spielbergian wonder like in Close Encounters. The slow build of tension and discovery really helps elevate the film.

46. The Chrysalids (Year 1)

Player: Andrew the Alien aka Hiccup

The Chrysalids is a post-apocalyptic drama with action, thrills, and heart, as a group of young men and women at the cusp of adulthood come to grips with the strange bond connecting them all and the brutal nature of the world they've grown up in.

45. Khanh Bernarda Alba (Year 5)

Player: Blankments

An intimate, gripping drama about a family torn apart by a mother's ego and rage, this film makes for a slightly uncomfortable sit as you watch a family slowly buckle and distintgrate as the matriarch's will crushes it person by person.

44. Citizen Hughes (Year 4)

Jim Carrey gives possibly the performance of his life in this film as the titular character, embodying the mania, the mental dysfunction, the ambition, and the despair of the older Howard Hughes. His performance single-handedly carries the movie.

43. The Triple Nickels (Year 4)

Player: Alfred

Those expecting a big wartime action extravaganza will be disappointed, but everyone else will be moved by the gripping period drama that shows us how a specialized black airman unit was forged and how they were put to the test in combating extreme wildfires in the Pacific Northwest. Best film about firefighters since Backdraft (and it's better than that).

42. The Dogs of Babel (Year 5)

A number of films on this list are about coping with losing a spouse and The Dogs of Babel is certainly a unique outing among that sub-category of films, focusing on a grieving man's goal to make his dog speak English. There are plot threads and subcurrents that border on the near-bizarre, such as Bryan Cranston's nut, but Jason Isaac's powerful performance keeps everything focused.

41. Dodge City (Year 3)

Player: Impact

The legendary player from the old CAYOM delivers a memorable outing for the new universe with this adventurous Western about a man seeking justice and the lengths he'll go to get it. Tommy Lee Jones is solid as the villain but Karl Urban is the show as the stoic and determined gunman hunting down a vicious gang.

40. The Dead in the House (Year 3)

The Dead in the House is another drama about a family under strain, this one being the weakening of bonds as the patriarch slowly wastes away from terminal cancer. Colin Firth commands the film as the parent whose life ticks away and the film doesn't shirk away from a brave and slightly controversial ending.

39. Empty Hearth (Year 5)

I DRINK YOUR GOLDSHAKE! Daniel Day-Lewis is at it again, going Beast Mode on other prospectors in Gold Rush era California and owning every moment he is in front of the camera. Marion Cotillard shines as the woman who worms her way into the capitalist's heart for personal designs.

38. Spark (Year 4)

Player: Spaghetti

Even though our favorite pasta dish apparently despises the casting he did for the lead role, we're still totally onboard with this sci-fi animated adventure where a plucky group of individuals are out to save the galaxy. Benedict Cumberbatch's voice role is supberb and steals the movie.

37. Red Rabbit (Year 3)

Commentary omitted

36. The Few (Year 2)

Michael Mann brings his unique visual eye and storytelling maturity to this tale of American pilots flying in the Battle of Britain. The aerial dogfights are top-notch, exhilarating to behold, and the giant ensemble acts quite well together, presenting a memorable group of characters to watch as the fight, bond, and endure.

• Like 4

50 seemed like much, as I was only here for two years, so...

Spaghetti's Top 25 Films Since Y4

1. The Good Die Young (Y4)

2. Past Tense (Y5)

3. The Road Home (Y4)

4. Dawn Of Oblivion (Y5)

5. Alesia (Y4)

6. The Shark Mutiny (Y5)

7. The Flowers Of Arkiva (Y4)

8. Wenan (Y4)

9. The Dogs Of Babel (Y5)

10. Empty Hearth (Y5)

11. Sylvarius (Y4)

12. Khahn Bernarda Alba (Y5)

13. Never Say Goodbye (Y4)

14. Citizen Hughes (Y4)

15. Shiverin' Gulch (Y5)

16. Worlds Apart (Y5)

17. The Next Dimension (Y5)

18. The Affair (Y5)

19. LoveBytes (Y4)

20. Our City (Y4)

21. Nirvana (Y4)

22. The Very Last First Time (Y4)

23. The Triple Nickels (Y4)

24. In The Line Of Service (Y4)

25. Corso (Y5)

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 2

Numbers' 50 Best Films of Years 1-5 (#35-21)

35. Celia, a Slave (Year 5)

This tragic tale of a slave girl who acts in the only way she knows to escape her brutal life is deeply moving. It really doesn't pull many punches in depicting the harsh, hopelessness of slavery in the 1850s and the result is intense, provocative drama.

34. Trader Haters (Year 2)

Player: Frankenberry

Frank, one of the dominant players of CAYOM 1.0's later years, continued to make an impression in the first two years of the new CAYOM before leaving the forum. Trader Haters is an intense, visceral thriller set in a futuristic desert Earth where law is scarce and violent men make the rules. Billy Crudup steals the show as the complex villain.

33. The Simulation (Year 4)

The Pastafarian Returns with this dystopian drama about a future where most of humanity is confined in massive dome cities where the events of their lives are rigorously controlled by outside observers, who remove free will in order to provide everyone a safe, content life. The thrills and drama abound as a few people have their eyes opened to the truth and fight to preserve their new ability to choose.

32. U.S.S. Seawolf (Year 2)

Commentary ommitted

31. American Idols (Year 1)

American Idols is a grim, disturbing tale about how the teens of a backwater rural town fall under the sway of a charismatic young teacher who slowly twists and manipulates them into his violent, sociopathic followers. Josh Hutcherson is solid as the main character who uneasily stands on the edge but Rooney Mara crushes the film as lively teen who falls the farthest under the teacher's spell.

30. Vesta (Year 1)

Player: Dexter of Suburbia

Dexter left us after only a single year but in that year he made several films, including this sci-fi epic here. What sets Vesta apart from other sci-fi films about humanity encountering alien races is that the humans in Vesta are not innocent. From the get-go they are looking to find a way to steal the alien resources and become top dog and therefore we get an amoral, gray outlook on humanity's future. Ridley Scott does well here.

29. The Coming Storm (Year 3)

If it weren't for the sudden plot swerve into soap opera in the final act this would be a lot higher. As it stands, the great majority of The Coming Storm is an epic, thrilling war drama about two brothers leading a nation in a desperate struggle against an implacable enemy and how the love of those brothers is torn apart by plotting and machinations. Didn't expect such skill from Daldry.

28. Corso (Year 5)

Corso is a story about Napoleon and his wife, a tragic love tale of how a man's rise to glory and power consumes his relationship into nothingness, how separation eats away even at a loving couple. Michel Haznaiwon'ttrytospellthisname delivers the goods in a powerful drama that continues to churn on all cylinders throughout.

27. The Shark Mutiny (Year 5)

Commentary ommitted

26. The Morrow II (Year 3)

The sequel to the highest-grossing film in CAYOM 2.0, The Morrow II has a tough burden to bear and for the most part it meets it. The film does a brave thing by telling a parallel story to that of the first one instead of simply picking up where Morrow 1 left off. Christoph Waltz and Clive Owen shine as the leads in this epic sci-fi feast.

25. Prodigy (Year 3)

One of the most underrated films of the first five years of CAYOM 2.0, Prodigy is the tale of a superhuman experiment gone wrong and the attempts to contain it. Ryan Gosling and Idris Elba do a great job as the two main characters and Andrew Stanton's live-action debut in CAYOM goes off without a hitch. A thrilling and poignant ride.

24. Eternal Sleep (Year 2)

Commentary ommitted

23. LoveBytes (Year 4)

Player: Electric

Electric is the kind of player who churns out a few products every year, most them solid, reliable entertainment. However on occasion, Electric strolls over to the plate and absolutely crushes a home run. LoveBytes is a bit closer to a stand-up triple but still, a brilliant effort by one of CAYOM's oldest players. Keira Knightley is wonderful as a woman with low self-esteem who vicariously lives her life through Internet profiles and messaging.

22. My Life to Waste (Year 2)

Player: Andrew the Alien aka Hiccup

Hiccup is in many ways the genre studio of the game, churning out loads of horror films, thrills, sci-fi films, and so on to meet the filler needs of the schedule and the populism of the audience. But like Electric, every now and then Hiccup simply nails it and My Life to Waste is his best outing so far in the new CAYOM. A touching and emotional drama of a teen struggling to hold onto his troubled life, it tugs at the heartstrings.

21. The End of the Universe (Year 1)

Commentary ommitted

Top 20 tomorrow

• Like 2

Well you've only made about 5 films over 3 years, so just wait and see. But the odds of a film of yours ranked in my Top 5 of a year not making a Top 50 list don't exist, because there's no way it could happen unless the year that film came in was thoroughly abysmal compared to the others.

Numbers' Top 50 Films of Years 1-5 (#20-11)

20. The Road Home (Year 4)

Player: Uekacreator

An ensemble drama about four interconnected stories taking place over the course of an hour, this film hammers home real life drama with earthy characters making real, honest decisions that affect their lives for better or for worse. Ellen Burstyn gives the best performance as a grandmother doing her best to comfort a grieving grandchild.

19. The Morrow (Year 1)

The highest-grossing film to-date in the new CAYOM, The Morrow is a sci-fi epic that in many ways boils down to a family drama, albeit one staged in the middle of an international conflict for the resources of an extrasolar world. The action is intense, the thrills are riveting, and the characters are deep. It's not too shocking that the film stole half of America's theatergoing money.

18. Stories from Eden (Year 5)

One of the most underrated films of the past year (Corso being the other one), this is a dystopian drama about a young man whose hometown and way of life are days away from extermination and his quest to find some solution, any solution, for the dilemma. A very atmospheric and intense film that draws upon both Western and sci-fi motifs to lend things some extra punch.

17. Never Say Goodbye (Year 4)

Player: darthdevidem01

A less productive player in this game compared to most, darthdevi still managed to turn out one of the most powerful romantic dramas in the game. The ending ties things up a little too neatly and nicely, but otherwise this has Leo and Kate tearing down the screen with powerhouse performances and a deft writing touch from Woody Allen.

16. Alesia (Year 4)

Commentary ommitted

15. The Father Figure (Year 1)

WaterBottle's finest film so far in the new CAYOM was one of his first outings, a drama about the struggles of parenthood and coming to terms with the troublesome aspects of our past. Jason Reitman handles the drama very well but keeps enough of a light air to prevent the mood from getting too somber. As pure dramas go it doesn't get much better.

14. The Summer Story (Year 3)

Player: Electric

You how I said earlier how occasionally Electric casually walks up and belts a home run? This is his home run so far in the game, a mind-bending and curvy drama about a man with some extreme mental issues and how he bobs around in life trying to find a purpose and trying to control his more dark urges. It was good to see Christopher Nolan tackling a more human film after his BRRMM!!! blockbusters of late.

13. The Good Die Young (Year 4)

Commentary ommitted

12. The Glass Castle (Year 4)

Another brilliant "pure" drama of the new CAYOM, centered around a dysfunctional, desperate family trying to make ends meet. Chloe Moretz shines as a teen girl trying her best to care for her siblings and deal with the stress and damage caused by her flailing parents.

11. Wings of Icarus (Year 1)

Player: RySenkari

Ry, one of the original players of the original CAYOM, left the new game after Year 2 because of strenuous real life obligations, but before he did he turned out at least 1 near-masterpiece. Wings of Icarus is a sumptuous animated film based on the Icarus Greek legend and it has all the hallmarks of a classic Ry animated offering: It's fun, it's energetic, it's moving, and the characters are all drawn with life and depth.

• Like 1