baumer

Jack Reacher

35 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Jack Reacher is a mixed bag. Paradoxically, it's very straightforward in its storytelling and doesn't spend much time on character development that doesn't have something to do with the main storyline, yet it moves slowly through most of its too-long running time. It succeeded in keeping my interest through most of the first 90 minutes or so, but the slow pacing comes perilously close to wearing out its welcome in the final 40. While the slow-burn approach works in many of the film's tensest moments, it's often not as effective in expository scenes. Fans of the source material might not accept Tom Cruise in the title role, and it's somewhat understandable based on the discrepancy between Cruise and the more intimidating physical attributes of Reacher, as described in the books. However, the fact that this is the first film adaptation allows the filmmakers to play up Reacher as a mysterious badass without having to also make him physically intimidating, and Cruise does well in that regard; Jack Reacher is a good fit alongside his other action hero roles. He also does well with frequent scene partner Rosamund Pike, and it's probably for the best that there's no romantic subplot between them since it's hard to imagine another plot thread woven into the already very long movie. The other recognizable names in the cast get hardly any screen time compared to Cruise and Pike, and Werner Herzog is in so little of the movie that it's tough to gauge whether the odd casting choice is really worth it. The film is assembled well enough that it's enjoyable in spite of its familiarity (it feels like a variation on any of the procedural shows on TV) and slow pace, but it could have been better had it been leaner and quicker.

B-

• Like 1

I loved this movie, a perfect role for Cruise! Only thing keeping this from getting an A+ was the lack of a sex scene with Rosamund Pike. Those marshmallowy soft bosoms were screaming to get out in practically every scene she was in. I would live on her chest, plant my flag and claim it for the Republic of Jim Shorts if given the chance.8.75/10

• Like 4

I'll echo webslingers thoughts for now. A very mixed bag for me.

His is too long to quote, so I will quote yours. Don't like his complaints. The movie moved for me. And it was very exciting. I don't care about his size in the books. Cruise was a badass who kicked butt Beating up everyone., including the 5 on 1 fight. Herzog was a lame villain but I thought his henchman was the real bad guy anyway. And he was good at it. Anyway, the movie kept me interested and I want a sequel with this reacher character.

Maybe we saw different movies, but how was Cruise bad ass? He has two fights in here. One is the barfight where he kicks the shit out of a few guys and then really the only other one was the dude at the end, who must also be a bad ass, cause Reacher had a tough time with him.Also, he isn't quite the anti hero he is made out to be in the trailer. And the film really doesn't explain ANYTHING. Who is the Romanian dude with one eye? Why did he want the chicks construction site? Why did he feel the need to hire a sharp shooter just to get her construction site? He already has a construction site, so he is already loaded. And why was the cop involved. They didn't tell us anything about him. He's just invovled so that there is a "gotcha" moment near the end. But what was he getting out of it, and why was he, an officer of the law, so ready to kill people, and lots of them, to make a few bucks? The motivation for these characters was very weak and that ruined the film for me.

• Like 2

Maybe we saw different movies, but how was Cruise bad ass? He has two fights in here. One is the barfight where he kicks the shit out of a few guys and then really the only other one was the dude at the end, who must also be a bad ass, cause Reacher had a tough time with him.* why does badass only have to do with fights, Yes the couple of fights, and then the end one on the bus, and the great car chase, and the way he escaped the car chase, and knowing the rifle serial #, and knowing the shooter was innocent, etc etc etc, and on the last fight, big deal the guy was a match for him...but still Reacher won the fight....for starters, but I think that is enough. Also, he isn't quite the anti hero he is made out to be in the trailer. And the film really doesn't explain ANYTHING. Who is the Romanian dude with one eye? Why did he want the chicks construction site? Why did he feel the need to hire a sharp shooter just to get her construction site? He already has a construction site, so he is already loaded. * IMO, Big Deal as it didn't bother me. The Guy wanted it, maybe it was for a bigger project, maybe just ego but as the woman wasn't going to sell he had to have her killed...so I am fine with this. And there are lots of movies where rich guys want more than they need.And why was the cop involved. They didn't tell us anything about him. He's just invovled so that there is a "gotcha" moment near the end. But what was he getting out of it, and why was he, an officer of the law, so ready to kill people, and lots of them, to make a few bucks? The motivation for these characters was very weak and that ruined the film for me.* IMO, Big Deal as it didn't bother me. $, Revenge, Blackmail, Drugs etc....and they had to keep you in the dark about this as you weren't sure who was dirty the father or the cop? So they couldn't have let it slip. But personally I was guessing money.

* answers above

Weak answers imo.

so what is so weak about this...and what more could he have done in the movie? He ruled the movie.* why does badass only have to do with fights, Yes the couple of fights, and then the end one on the bus, and the great car chase, and the way he escaped the car chase, and knowing the rifle serial #, and knowing the shooter was innocent, etc etc etc, and on the last fight, big deal the guy was a match for him...but still Reacher won the fight....for starters, but I think that is enough.

Maybe we saw different movies, but how was Cruise bad ass? He has two fights in here. One is the barfight where he kicks the shit out of a few guys and then really the only other one was the dude at the end, who must also be a bad ass, cause Reacher had a tough time with him.Also, he isn't quite the anti hero he is made out to be in the trailer. And the film really doesn't explain ANYTHING. Who is the Romanian dude with one eye? Why did he want the chicks construction site? Why did he feel the need to hire a sharp shooter just to get her construction site? He already has a construction site, so he is already loaded. And why was the cop involved. They didn't tell us anything about him. He's just invovled so that there is a "gotcha" moment near the end. But what was he getting out of it, and why was he, an officer of the law, so ready to kill people, and lots of them, to make a few bucks? The motivation for these characters was very weak and that ruined the film for me.

I think the chick with the nice tits explained it pretty well in the scene in her father's office. She said the Russians had shell corporations that were targeting construction jobs around the United States, either by lowballing the bids or hostile takeover of local construction companies. The lady killed most likely owned the construction company that owned the rights to a lot of projects the Russians wanted control of. The cop, most likely like the dude who couldn't bite off his fingers, was given little choice but to assist them. Btw, that was probably the stupidest part of the movie, the Russian explaining why he bit off his fingers. Sure, badass when you did it, but how bout now mofo, you can't even hold a gun let along text on your iPhone. You can't really be considered a real villain if you only have 2 fingers and a nub right?
  • Like 1

I think the chick with the nice tits explained it pretty well in the scene in her father's office. She said the Russians had shell corporations that were targeting construction jobs around the United States, either by lowballing the bids or hostile takeover of local construction companies. The lady killed most likely owned the construction company that owned the rights to a lot of projects the Russians wanted control of. The cop, most likely like the dude who couldn't bite off his fingers, was given little choice but to assist them. Btw, that was probably the stupidest part of the movie, the Russian explaining why he bit off his fingers. Sure, badass when you did it, but how bout now mofo, you can't even hold a gun let along text on your iPhone. You can't really be considered a real villain if you only have 2 fingers and a nub right?

So guess it wasn't weak and Baumer wasn't paying enough attention. Lol. FYI, they explained who the lady was in the movie. She was the widow of one shot and even though she hated the business, she couldn't sell her husbands or the family business. And the villain not having his.fingers saved his life, as all others in his prison camp that had to work died.