baumer

Jack Reacher

35 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The movie was okay, but I felt it was too generic at times. I didn't like the opening montage with the generic score that was placed throughout but that is a bit picky. Also that last fight scene with reacher and the other dude just wasn't a reacher thing to do. Any fan of the book knows that if reacher has a chance to kill the enemy, he will. He doesn't fight fair and certainly doesn't throw his gun down to fight bare handed, Jack reacher would have shot his face off.I thought Pike was the best thing about this movie, and damn she is sexy. There were 4 times in the movie where I was sure her nip was going to escape that bra of hers, but sadly my wish didn't come true :(The Zec was a complete letdown and sounded boring and monotoned, matter of fact, his side kick was more intimidating than him and had charisma. I think at the hands of a different director this movie could have been a lot better. Even though one shot isn't the greatest of Child's books, a more interesting approach could have been done. They even gave away who the killer was at the start of the movie which seemed like a wasted opportunity to me as it was suppose to be a mystery.One thing I did like, they killed the Zec off at the end, that certainly didn't happen in the book so it was a nice little surprise for me. I'm not going to comment on how Cruise just wasn't Reacher as ill get the Cruise fans all upset but I will say this..... Cruise ain't no motherfucking Jack Reacher.Overall ill give this a C+/B-

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

The original material is a bit generic, but the film did it justice. I liked the slow pace and the director's style. I can't disagree with you more Jessie, the opening was brilliant. Great cinematography. The couldn't keep the tension, the book was much better in that sense, the script wasn't tight, but they did a good job skipping the other 3 female characters and focus on Helen. Pike did a brilliant job. The car chase was fantastic. No music, just roar engine sound and a professional driver behind the wheel that is CRuise. He nailed the role and can't wait to see him in a much serious and bloodier Reacher film.

The original material is a bit generic, but the film did it justice. I liked the slow pace and the director's style. I can't disagree with you more Jessie, the opening was brilliant. Great cinematography. The couldn't keep the tension, the book was much better in that sense, the script wasn't tight, but they did a good job skipping the other 3 female characters and focus on Helen. Pike did a brilliant job. The car chase was fantastic. No music, just roar engine sound and a professional driver behind the wheel that is CRuise. He nailed the role and can't wait to see him in a much serious and bloodier Reacher film.

Are you kidding? There won't be a 'bloody' Reacher film. I thought this film made that perfectly clear.

Also that car chase if anything made Cruise look like a shit driver lol.

Edited by Jessie

There are a dozen of better books than One Shot, with better story even if the rating won't go up. No, the car chase was great and Cruise was amazing, mainly because he was driving. You could clearly see that it was him, not like other films with super fast cuts and editing to cover the pussy actor, who lets the stunt man do everything.

Edited by Alfred Unchained
  • Like 1

There are a dozen of better books than One Shot, with better story even if the rating won't go up. No, the car chase was great and Cruise was amazing, mainly because he was driving. You could clearly see that it was him, not like other films with super fast cuts and editing to cover the pussy actor, who lets the stunt man do everything.

I know it was him, but he treated the car chase like a game of fucking bumper cars, hitting every object in his path. If that makes you a great stuntman then my grandparents must be the worlds greatest stunt drivers on the planet.What's your favourite reacher book? Edited by Jessie

Excellent action thriller. Being a fan of the books, I wondered how Tom Cruise would fare as Jack Reacher. He has done a marvelous job. The script, pacing and acting are top notch. The funny moments/dialogues are terrific and there are several of them. It is a first rate entertainer. All in all loved the movie. I had more fun in this movie than several hyped blockbusters of 2012.

Hoping for more Jack Reacher movies from Cruise.

A

Edited by jb007
  • Like 1

Grade: A-

The movie was fun and requires the same amount of active thought process as Skyfall. There are some plot holes and inconsistencies which should've been explained with a bad guy whose just as seemingly thin as in Skyfall. Yet, Skyfall is still praised while pointing out the flaws and in this thread Jack Reacher is condemned for the same shortcomings. :rolleyes:

There are at least 3 main fights in this: Outside the Bar, at the asshole's house and the finale at the Construction site. Mixed in with the car chase and general moments of tension where you're not sure if something might happen. Should we know more about why the One-Eyed man wanted the company? Not sure, he wants it, he comes from a salty background, good enough in this situation. What about why the crooked cop has no choice but to be a stooge rat? That I agree, why don't you have a choice.

I'd never heard of Jack Reacher, not read the books. I'm waiting for Hollywood to give us the James Rollins Sigma Force series. That all said I enjoyed what I saw. It perhaps could've been 10-15min shorter and still flowed well.

I'll take more Jack Reacher if they do it.

Grade: A-

The movie was fun and requires the same amount of active thought process as Skyfall. There are some plot holes and inconsistencies which should've been explained with a bad guy whose just as seemingly thin as in Skyfall. Yet, Skyfall is still praised while pointing out the flaws and in this thread Jack Reacher is condemned for the same shortcomings. :rolleyes:

The difference is, Skyfall's villain was a lot more interesting and he did what he did because he felt betrayed after being handed to the enemy in which he was tortued. he then takes his cyanide capsule given to him by his employees which only caused him agony so no, he wasn't thin at all, he actually had a motive. The Zec on the other hand just 'takes what can be taken' so no, they are not comparable in te slightest. It's funny how no-one ever brings up 'The Joker' for TDK when 'thin' villains are brought up, it's not like he had a plausible motive... Edited by Jessie

I did pay attention to the movie. But those reasons are awfully ridiculous. Especially the cop. He's willing to throw his whole life away for money from a construction site? I know there's money in it but really, how much could he possibly be getting from it? The whole logic behind everything just seemed really silly to me.

• Like 1

It's not about the money. It's about fear and power. The Zec guy survived a harsh Russian gulag and now he wants to be the one in control, the one who wields power. From that does come money. But he wants people to fear him, to do want he wants. The criminal underworld fear him so much they don't even want to be in a position to be able to identify him. The movie shows this when The Zec says the only way Rene can prove his loyalty is to start chomping off his fingers. The cop clearly has some lovely back story about how he was lead to the dark side and now lives in fear from The Zec on one side and being found out by his fellow cops on the other. But do we need a 4 hour movie to see all this? No we don't. The movie pretty clearly showed how The Zec controls people. As to the movie overall. I thoroughly enjoyed and would like to see more of Jack Reacher.(I haven't read the books)

I did pay attention to the movie. But those reasons are awfully ridiculous. Especially the cop. He's willing to throw his whole life away for money from a construction site? I know there's money in it but really, how much could he possibly be getting from it? The whole logic behind everything just seemed really silly to me.

It did feel like a pulpy crime novel. If I recall there was literally an exchange near the end like this: ''Why did you do it?'' ''Because I didn't have anything else to do!'' They never follow up on that.
  • Like 1

Its good ( well for the genre ) up till the end Then Reacher calls up a shooting range owner who brings a gun for himself and not for Reacher ... this is on top of the fact that Reacher can't get a gun on his own yet he can disappear like a ghost whenever he pleases The cop's motivation is totally left out Basically I thought it was all right till the end but then it became very implausible 5/10

• Like 1

I don't know why people have a problem with the cop's motivation. There are bent cops in the world. He was clearly a bent cop from way before the events of the movie. Do we need a whole back story on why he became a bent cop? The movie shows what happens to people who get on the wrong side the Zec. Actually I did just think of one issue. Why would a multi-story car park have a coin operated parking meter like you'd find street side?