filmnerdjamie

Thursday Numbers (12/20)

So if The Hobbit follows I am Legend Friday to Sunday it will look like this:Friday- 11.873 (+79.9%) (-68.02% from last week)Saturday- 13.500 (+13.7%) (-51.34% from last week)Sunday- 11.097 (-17.8%) (-43.82% from last week)Total- 36.47 (-56.9% from last week)If it follows a family oriented film like Narnia 1, we get thisFriday- 16.342 (+147.6%) (-55.98% from last week)Saturday- 23.581 (+44.3%) (-15% from last week)Sunday- 17.804 (-24.5%) (-9.86% from last week)Total- 57.727 (-31.78% from last week)Now it seems very unlikely that The Hobbit will emulate a full family film like Narnia in its 2nd weekend, but it still seems clear to me that the Friday and Saturday increases will be somewhat more generous than what happened with I am Legend (which had less positive WOM than Hobbit for sure and Hobbit definitely seems like it will skew more with families than Legend).So my completely speculative and unscientific prediction I am likely pulling out of my ass is this:Friday- 13.53 (+105%) (-63.56% from last week)Saturday- 16.913 (+25%) (-39.04% from last week)Sunday- 13.361 (-21%) (-32.36% from last week)Total- 43.804 (-48.23% from last week)

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

Its a good bump still can't say much about how holidays will fare or if $300m is a given (or even likely). Still that is a better % increase than both Narnia as well as IAL which is nothing bad. From its dailies this is the first impressive number aside from first Sunday IMO.

Narnia 1 is what first got me interested in the box office.Hope The Hobbit can emulate its weekend jump. :)

I think in terms of Friday and Saturday increases, Hobbit will skew closer to I am Legend than Narnia 1 (because of how large Narnia's increases were), but it'll still have significantly better increases on those days than Legend did.

Funny the goal is now $300m.

Well, expectations get adjusted, of course. :P

This is an embarrassment to LOTR franchise. What is that, -40% decrease in admissions from ROTK? :rofl:

I wouldn't say it's an embarrassment yet. In terms of a decrease in admissions, I think most thought there'd be a bit of a decrease -- not at much, obviously! In retrospect we were thinking more in terms of sequels, and Fake was right that it's acting more like a spinoff/prequel.

Funny the goal is now $300m. This is an embarrassment to LOTR franchise. What is that, -40% decrease in admissions from ROTK? :rofl:

No, the "embarrassment" was for anyone expecting TH to compete with ROTK's admissions(which would have meant 550m or so). Historically, unless your franchise is named "Star ____", reboots and prequels do substantially less than their predecessors.