Moviedweeb

Weekend Estimates Hobbit 36.7 pg 33

flopbit is really flopping. it is a 1 film movie a short amount of content only. studios think they are smarter than audiences? audiences arent stupid to donate profits to film companies. the film, the content has to be good, and it wasnt. the RT score is only 65% and in a strong yr for filmmaking , its not even a top 10 major film critically. looks like barely getting 250m in domestic, and about 580 overseas. total should finish around 840-850million.its combined total budget is around $400m or so incl advertisingFrom its bulbous goblin king to its nearly three-hour running time to its budget — an estimated $400 million, including global marketing costssource for budgethttp://artsbeat.blog...the-box-office/850 * 45% studio average profit = 382million.in summary 400m cost vs 382 profit portion, it doesnt stand to break even on theatrical run. also my worldwide figure of 580m is in the middle upper range.when compared to LOTR inflation adjusted, this is so bad it doesnt merit comparisonthis disappointment does not bode well for the sequel. its sequel goes from being hotly anticipated to just 'meh'. i dont think marketing is a big deal, the content has to be good

It's definitely not a flop. Massive disappointment yes but not a flop or a bomb.

flopbit is really flopping. it is a 1 film movie a short amount of content only. studios think they are smarter than audiences? audiences arent stupid to donate profits to film companies. the film, the content has to be good, and it wasnt. the RT score is only 65% and in a strong yr for filmmaking , its not even a top 10 major film critically. looks like barely getting 250m in domestic, and about 580 overseas. total should finish around 840-850million.its combined total budget is around $400m or so incl advertisingFrom its bulbous goblin king to its nearly three-hour running time to its budget — an estimated $400 million, including global marketing costssource for budgethttp://artsbeat.blog...the-box-office/850 * 45% studio average profit = 382million.in summary 400m cost vs 382 profit portion, it doesnt stand to break even on theatrical run. also my worldwide figure of 580m is in the middle upper range.when compared to LOTR inflation adjusted, this is so bad it doesnt merit comparisonthis disappointment does not bode well for the sequel. its sequel goes from being hotly anticipated to just 'meh'. i dont think marketing is a big deal, the content has to be good

Liked for 'flopbit'. :worthy:

I just love bad puns and 'flopbit' is just :rofl:

I disagree flopbit is a bad pun. Flop (a) bit is about right. It isn`t an outright ot real flop just flop bit. A bit of a flop only told in Yoda speech. Edited by fishnets

I liked Cloud Atlas, but it was never going to be a hit, so I'm not really sad about it.As for TASM, what's going to make more money, TASM 2 or Hobbit 2?I can't pretend to be inside everybody else's brains, but it kind of seems to me like people are more looking forward to another TASM movie than another Hobbit movie.

I don't think a decrease for both is out of the question.

Even though I disagree with the very underlying notion...If we're going full force with puns, should it not be the full title...Flopbit: An Unexpected Bomb

Flopbit:An Unexpected Turkey rhymes better with Hobbit:An Unexpected Journey. Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

hahha. an unexpected bomb. i need to clarify, its just a flop relative to expectations. it wont make a loss for the studio, but it doesnt look like making any profit whatsoever based on 60% decline in receipts this wkend.

hahha. an unexpected bomb. i need to clarify, its just a flop relative to expectations. it wont make a loss for the studio, but it doesnt look like making any profit whatsoever based on 60% decline in receipts this wkend.

No, even with this lower, disappointing performance, thing is still going to be profitable. It possibly could not make money theatrically, if it fails to do $800M worldwide, but...well, why would you only count Hobbit's profitability based on 40% of its revenues.

We may know soon enough how TH has affected Time Warner's financials when quarterlies are released. A fairly decent run could've been baked into expectations. Of course this is Hollywood accounting so who knows what may show up.Anyway saw it. I'd give it a B- with the second half being miles ahead of the first. As for BO performance: incomplete. Waiting to see if this will hold up any better.

Also, minus the Hobbit, are these numbers looking good for the openers? And I drove past my theater last night and the parking lot was terribly low capacity, it looked like a typical Tuesday crowd, slow day at anybody else's theaters?

Also, minus the Hobbit, are these numbers looking good for the openers? And I drove past my theater last night and the parking lot was terribly low capacity, it looked like a typical Tuesday crowd, slow day at anybody else's theaters?

Yes, this is bad for everything, not just TH. Weekend will be down quite a bit on last year barring some big increases on Saturday.