Moviedweeb

Weekend Estimates Hobbit 36.7 pg 33

I think Tolkien's best work is really the Silmarillion, when you view it as a series of history/mythology summaries rather than a true book. The most complex characters he created come from there (Feanor, Hurin and Turin, etc).

I love you.

I find the Silmarillion to be mostly a slog, basically because it's mostly just history/mythology summaries. I want to read a story, not a pseudo-history (although it's interesting stuff if you like Middle-Earth). There are plenty of good tales in there, if he had ever taken the time to write them.

But I don't love you. :-P

Because The HOBBIT doesn't need to be 3 movies much less 2.. It's a childrens story comprised of about 270 pages that can be told in 1 movie and breaking it into 3 has backfired on Jackson and WB.. This isn't LOTR and was never intended to be and they should've known this..

Yes, but why would that matter to the general movie-goer or LOTR fan? I have a hard time imaging either group deciding not to see AUJ because TH will be three movies. I can imagine box office yokels doing so, but not fans or regular folk.

Make that two of us. Not a huge modern musical fan. I've got the screener and will watch with my family, but it's not at the top of my list of "must see".

Yeah, it's just that one genre that I just don't "get."I'm happy that something like this is going to be successful, but it's not really for me.

I honestly thought DU would open bigger than LM but looking at the local multiplexes near me LM now has 5 sell outs for Xmas (this morning it had just 1) and as yet no other movie has any listed sell outs.I'm seeing both tomorrow ( LM at 11:35 AM and DU at 3:20 PM) so I'll be able to see just how busy things are in person.

Jesus. So it doesn't go into profit until #3?

Well, it's a bit unfair to expect the first film to cover the costs associated with all three films. Though if you do it that way, then it just means the profit margins on the sequels are going to be massive.That being said, the accounting sure isn't going to look like that, none of the costs associated with films two or three are going to have to be absorbed on WB's financials until those films actually come out, so there's no reason to view it from that perspective. Nobody else is going to. Edited by kowhite

Django will be more of a walkup film. I'm not worried about it, though... showings in NY/LA already look packed, if not sold out.

One thing for sure: those 10PM Parental Guidance screenings tonight are gonna be packed with hardcore fanboys.

• Like 2

Django will be more of a walkup film. I'm not worried about it, though... showings in NY/LA already look packed, if not sold out.

One thing for sure: those 10PM Parental Guidance screenings tonight are gonna be packed with hardcore fanboys.

Certainly, the union of Bette Midler and Billy Crystal is something more anticipated than Batman and Superman sharing the silver screen.

I predict $90M opening day.

• Like 3

Those shows are so packed that I think Nikki shouldn't be celebrating Christmas, she should be here reporting the numbers to us! Or maybe FOX is still counting the crazy amount of cash those shows are making so far!?!?!
  • Like 1

How many sellouts is Django up to now?

At this time everything is just their projections. One past down is Les Mis 11, Django 10, and PG 3 from LATimes. None of these movies have even been released yet, there can't possibly be numbers. They aren't nikki. ;)

• Like 1