Moviedweeb

Weekend Estimates Hobbit 36.7 pg 33

Let's get real here...financially is all that really matters to the only people that really care. I have no idea what planet someone must be on to pretend this is a John Carter level of disaster. WB didn't spend more money on this film than John Carter...yet are going to make substantially more money. Yet...it's a bigger disaster? You're not going to be successful in explaining to me how that makes any sense.

John Carter was always going to be a disaster and when it bombed no one was upset, no one was surprised. Not very much of a disaster since we all saw it coming. Hobbit was always going to be a box office super hit, and when it disappointed it was an unanticipated and unprepared for disaster which IMO is a bigger one than JC.

John Carter was always going to be a disaster and when it bombed no one was upset, no one was surprised.

Try telling that to Rich Ross.You people are f'ing nuts. No offense. Pardon me, I work with numbers, and I work in the film industry, so this reaction makes no freaking sense to me. Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

Sure WB will be worried.... it was supposed to be a surefire money-machine the earnings from which could compensate for other flops. Just because this will break even in the long run doesn't mean WB executives are jumping up and down in their chairs.

• Like 1

Hope Les Mis breaks out after this dreadful weekend. Or any movie at all breaking out is fine as well.

Yeah, this Friday is unusually bad. 2012 will still end up ahead of 2010, but it's going to be closer than I wanted if this keeps up.

Try telling that to Rich Ross.

I amend my statement to anyone rational. ;) anyone who poured 250 million to make the movie alone is evidently not thinking straight.Even disregarding that I think we all knew very early on this was gonna be a mega flop. I doubt even Ross was surprised JC did as bad as it did.

Hope Les Mis breaks out after this dreadful weekend. Or any movie at all breaking out is fine as well.

Unfortunately I believe 2012 will end on a less than stellar note. Django only has a slim chance at really "breaking out" and I don't think Les Mis will have the screen count. (Then again if Lincoln has taught us anything it is not to take that lightly)

Unfortunately I believe 2012 will end on a less than stellar note. Django only has a slim chance at really "breaking out" and I don't think Les Mis will have the screen count. (Then again if Lincoln has taught us anything it is not to take that lightly)

Les Mis is in 2808 theatres probably on ~6000 screens. It's got plenty of screens. I do think thdy're planning to expand on the 28th for the weekend as well.

That is really disapointing for HobbitWas it the marketing that went wrong?

As much as I loved the film, clearly it just didn't gel with the mainstream the way the predecessors did. And clearly the expectation was that it would. I'm guessing to some degree it wasn't really the marketing, but the film itself. I don't get it...loved it...but maybe it did need to be something new to really achieve. Maybe the split to three films didn't help...regardless if I prefer it. And maybe...The Hobbit...was never going to achieve LOTR levels of success no matter what they did.

I amend my statement to anyone rational. ;) anyone who poured 250 million to make the movie alone is evidently not thinking straight.

Well, in defense of Ross...HE didn't decide to put $250M into that film. He just had to sell it (which he did a poor job of though).That being said...it's not $250M. It's $300M. Ha.

My grasping at straws theory: Maybe everyone was too busy with end of the world parties and plans to go to movies tonight, and tomorrow we'll see massive jumps. :D

Don't hold your breath...we'd like to see you keep posting after all.

Ok, so I'm still in Kingwood for now and I am talking to one of our managers that stayed behind after the buy out, and he got the numbers for me.

The Hobbit

2D - 347

3D - 168

Total - 515

Jack Reacher - 292

This Is 40 - 234

Midnight(Friday)[saturday]

2D - 304(744)[960]

3D - 128(405)[464]

Total - 432(1149)[1424]