CJohn

Christmas Day Numbers | Les Miserables: 18.1M | DU: 15M | The Hobbit: 11.3M | PG: 6.5M

I knew ... but a scaring number anyway if turns true.

It won't but I wish it would. That'd be indicative of a huge monster gross, and bolster it's position in the Oscar race. If it gets to over 200 million, it'll be in very good position for a win reviews be damned.

And I'm sooooo tired of the fact that the N word is a term of endearment when black people say it to each other, but if anyone else says it the whole world is supposed to stop. Either it's an offensive word or it's not, make up your mind.

1st it is a offensive word, that's not the debate but i'm Sorry cause that comment is kind of a simplistic way of looking at it. Whites have used the word in a demeaning and derogatory way against Blacks for hundreds of years. Even after Lincoln freed the Slaves, it was still in use during Jim Crow and Segregation through the civil rights movement. Even today Michael Richards of Seinfeld used it in a terrible way. Let's not forget Hollywood use of the word in Movies as far up to the 70's Blaxplotion like films "Boss N@###". Plenty of White authors used the word in books, magazines as well as television in a negative way.

Blacks usage of the word is not in a negative way. Plus you have to understand, it kinda has been beat in our heads literally and figuratively for centuries, it wasn't just going to go away. If you are upset at Blacks using the word, you anger is misplaced. The anger should be at the ones who used it for hundreds of years and made it normal in American culture. Black people didn't make the N-word normal in America Culture. There aren't enough Rap albums in the world that can cover the hundreds of years of usage. Blacks usage is only a reaction and this is coming from someone who doesn't use the word personally. But I understand the history. You can't skip hundreds of years of usage and be mad at Blacks for using it. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 3

1st it is a offensive word, that's not the debate but i'm Sorry cause that comment is kind of a simplistic way of looking at it. Whites have used the word in a demeaning and derogatory way against Blacks for hundreds of years. Even after Lincoln freed the Slaves, it was still in use during Jim Crow and Segregation through the civil rights movement. Even today Michael Richards of Seinfeld used it in a terrible way. Let's not forget Hollywood use of the word in Movies as far up to the 70's Blaxplotion like films "Boss N@###". Plenty of White authors used the word in books, magazines as well as television in a negative way.Blacks usage of the word is not in a negative way. Plus you have to understand, it kinda has been beat in our heads literally and figuratively for centuries, it wasn't just going to go away. If you are upset at Blacks using the word, you anger is misplaced. The anger should be at the ones who used it for hundreds of years and made it normal in American culture. Black people didn't make the N-word normal in America Culture. There aren't enough Rap albums in the world that can cover the hundreds of years of usage. Blacks usage is only a reaction and this is coming from someone who doesn't use the word personally. But I understand the history. You can't skip hundreds of years of usage and be mad at Blacks for using it. Just my 2 cents.

I agree. I think black people have a right to use that word if they so wish so.

Hopefully Django does start a mature conversation about Race in America but I don't know, QT can be a polarizing figure. With Barack being re-elected we've come so far from the characters in this movie if you think about it. In other news. Wow at "Les", I knew it could possibly break but even I'm surprised by these numbers. I know it's a legendary play but wow. I remember when it came out in the 90's, it wasn't this Big and that version has a good cast too. But doing research I've learn that This is like the 10th movie version or something since the early 1900's crazy. This is the 1st version that caught my attention cause I was working in a Video rental and was about to graduate High School a month later in 98 when it came out:

Posted Image

1st it is a offensive word, that's not the debate but i'm Sorry cause that comment is kind of a simplistic way of looking at it. Whites have used the word in a demeaning and derogatory way against Blacks for hundreds of years. Even after Lincoln freed the Slaves, it was still in use during Jim Crow and Segregation through the civil rights movement. Even today Michael Richards of Seinfeld used it in a terrible way. Let's not forget Hollywood use of the word in Movies as far up to the 70's Blaxplotion like films "Boss N@###". Plenty of White authors used the word in books, magazines as well as television in a negative way.Blacks usage of the word is not in a negative way. Plus you have to understand, it kinda has been beat in our heads literally and figuratively for centuries, it wasn't just going to go away. If you are upset at Blacks using the word, you anger is misplaced. The anger should be at the ones who used it for hundreds of years and made it normal in American culture. Black people didn't make the N-word normal in America Culture. There aren't enough Rap albums in the world that can cover the hundreds of years of usage. Blacks usage is only a reaction and this is coming from someone who doesn't use the word personally. But I understand the history. You can't skip hundreds of years of usage and be mad at Blacks for using it. Just my 2 cents.

While I completely disagree with your point and completely agree with HobbitMan89, hey, NYC! Where in New York? I'm in SI.

But the '98 version was horrible. It butchered the story.The RT consensus is the the weird thing:

This intelligent, handsomely crafted adaptation of Victor Hugo's classic novel condenses the story's developments without blunting its emotional impact.

Edited by riczhang

I agree. I think black people have a right to use that word if they so wish so.

Honestly in a perfect world I wish the Word was erased from everyone Vocabulary. But that's not realistic. Blacks to me just had to find a way to take the sting out of it. It's kinda sad to me when I hear it in a rap song or on a street corner here in New York. It just reminds me of our horrible history here in America. I just hope one day this country can really move past race. We are a Human race 1st and people need to move past color. Barack is a great image for America in that he shows the world we are growing from racial issues.

While I completely disagree with your point and completely agree with HobbitMan89, hey, NYC! Where in New York? I'm in SI.

That's fine, but don't mistake my comments for endorsing the word. I personally like I said wished nobody used it but it's unrealistic to expect Blacks who been called it for so long to just stop using it. It's way to late now it's going to take maybe more hundreds of years to unlearn it. I live in Queens by the way. Manhattan is to busy for me, live there for 2 years and hated it Had to move to the boroughs.

I've been trying to pretend rth wasn't in this thread for the past 10 minutes now. :lol: even thinking about the Les Mis number makes me nervous. ;)

You don't have to worry. Today is looking pretty strong, I think 13M is a strong possibility. :D :D :D
  • Like 1

You don't have to worry. Today is looking pretty strong, I think 13M is a strong possibility. :D :D :D

I bet rth is reading through the thread and laughing at all the incessant worrying. :P Edited by riczhang

But the '98 version was horrible. It butchered the story.The RT consensus is the the weird thing:

Funny you say that cause I fell asleep on it when I rented it in 98 and never watched it again. Honestly I've never been Big on musicals. "Annie", "Grease", "The Wiz" were the main ones I loved growing up. As for Django, Wow, amazing Opening Day considering it's a HARD "R" and "True Grit" was PG13, I think it's off to a great start. Hope it isn't too frontloaded. Edited by filmscholar

Funny you say that cause I fell asleep on it when I rented it in 98 and never watched it again. Honestly I've never been Big on musicals. "Annie", "Grease", "The Wiz" were the main ones I loved growing up.

The 98 wasn't a musical..... :unsure:

I know that, I speaking about watching the current version. I don't think i've ever seen a musical on the Big Screen which is shocking considering how many movies I've seen on the Big Screen.

Oh, Ok. You should still go and try this one out. It's amazing.

Oh, Ok. You should still go and try this one out. It's amazing.

Well if it's going to be my 1st time it might as well be a Legendary series. But I might be wrong cause tons of Disney movies are Defacto Musicals if you think about it. "Aladdin, Lion King, Little Mermaid" so. What I find funny is the New version outgrossed the 98 version entire run opening day. I think the 98 version did 10 or 12 million it's whole run.