Moviedweeb

Biggest Box Office hit of all time–all things considered (Poll)

Biggest B.O. Hit  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What is the biggest box office hit–all things considered

• Gone with the Wind
    • The Exorcist
    • Jaws
    • Star Wars
    • E.T.
    • Jurassic Park
    • Titanic

I made some rough calculations in my head.

Well sorry but your calculations are full of shit, its more like 920m...after people saw this amazing 3D experience there would have been crowds of angry protestors demanding refunds for titanic from 11 years prior as the sheer awesomeness of TDK made it look as bad as Scott Pilgrim resulting in TDK being the biggest box office hit.... And what idiot decided to take TDK of the poll???TDKR would have then increased and there would have been no shootings, instead James Holmes would have been happy with this 3D conversion and entered the cinema with free popcorn and hotdogs for the whole crowd resulting in a lovely atmosphere and 1b gross... See Nolan, this is what happens when you refuse to use 3D.... Edited by Jessie
  • Like 2

I made some rough calculations in my head.

Why would TDK be adjusted to 818m for 3D, when Avatar did only 750m with more tickets sold.That's not even a rough calculation of yours. That's called "something pulled out of your ass."I hope you were not being serious with those numbers you posted. Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

Why would TDK be adjusted to 818m for 3D, when Avatar did only 750m with more tickets sold.That's not even a rough calculation of yours. That's called "something pulled out of your ass."I hope you were not being serious with those numbers you posted.

Because TDK had the Joker, Avatar didn't.
  • Like 1

TDK is below 600 million adjusted.How does 3D get it to 800 million. That a 33% 3D boost!! Thats like people going on about TDK sold as many tickets as TA opening weekend and then use a super high 3D surcharge to bring TA down to TDK adjusted weekend.. Then they forget TA had way kids watching it.Either use all of the facts to make a claim or don't make any claims at all.Lol Just realized you were goofing around...However my point stands.

Edited by Lordmandeep

TDK is below 600 million adjusted. Yes.

How does 3D get it to 800 million. That a 33% 3D boost!! Crazy, right?

Thats like people going on about TDK sold as many tickets as TA opening weekend and then use a super high 3D surcharge to bring TA down to TDK adjusted weekend.. Then they forget TA had way kids watching it.

Either use all of the facts to make a claim or don't make any claims at all.

Lol Just realized you were goofing around...Yes indeedy. ;)

However my point stands.

Edited by Don Niam The Stingray

Avatar sold a little less tickets than TDK, but it's legs were way better (holidays perhaps?) and the foreign gross just mouth-dropping. Avatar's boxoffice is more impressive because of that, but TDK still is a better movie.

If I wasn't using my mobile, you'd be starring at a motherfucking face palm right now...

Would you like to prove me wrong? I distinctly remember the crazy squabbling on this more or less coming to that conclusion.EDIT: Oh, I get it. I'm pretty sure Goffe was serious though. Edited by Sims

SW, Jaws, Titanic, or GWTW would all be valid choices if you ask me. "Taking everything into account"

should result in them all being in a tie. I checked out the top 200 adjusted list and decided to vote for GWTW.

I saw some suggesting that GWTW had some sort of advantage due to when it was released. If that is true, the top 200 adjusted list must be dominated by films from that era.

20s-1 film

30s-2 films (GWTW)

40s-7 films

50s-12 films

60s-21 films

70s-28 films (Jaws, SW)

80s-30 films

90s-34 films (Titanic)

00s-51 films

10s-14 films

This shows it has become progressively easier to make the adjusted list over time. GWTW made the list during an era when it was incredibly hard to make the list...and not only made the list...but landed at #1. That's the most impressive feat I see on the list. It's not where it is because of when it was released...quite the opposite...it bucked the odds to make the list because of when it was released.

Re-releases aren't a negative either. That's a positive. That indicates a movie retains its appeal over time and is worthy of another release. If Star Wars is released today and makes more money, that's a negative? We are talking about a movie's ability to appeal to the public after all. You won't see John Carter getting a re-release....I'll put it that way.

• Like 3

SW, Jaws, Titanic, or GWTW would all be valid choices if you ask me. "Taking everything into account"

should result in them all being in a tie. I checked out the top 200 adjusted list and decided to vote for GWTW.

I saw some suggesting that GWTW had some sort of advantage due to when it was released. If that is true, the top 200 adjusted list must be dominated by films from that era.

20s-1 film

30s-2 films (GWTW)

40s-7 films

50s-12 films

60s-21 films

70s-28 films (Jaws, SW)

80s-30 films

90s-34 films (Titanic)

00s-51 films

10s-14 films

This shows it has become progressively easier to make the adjusted list over time. GWTW made the list during an era when it was incredibly hard to make the list...and not only made the list...but landed at #1. That's the most impressive feat I see on the list. It's not where it is because of when it was released...quite the opposite...it bucked the odds to make the list because of when it was released.

That's an interesting and original take, I'd be curious to see what other forum members think about it. It does make GWTW seem even more impressive.

20s-1 film

30s-2 films (GWTW)

40s-7 films

50s-12 films

60s-21 films

70s-28 films (Jaws, SW)

80s-30 films

90s-34 films (Titanic)

00s-51 films

10s-14 films

Re-releases aren't a negative either. That's a positive. That indicates a movie retains its appeal over time and is worthy of another release. If Star Wars is released today and makes more money, that's a negative? We are talking about a movie's ability to appeal to the public after all. You won't see John Carter getting a re-release....I'll put it that way.

I completely agree with everything that you have said. I have nothing to add.