Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

I don`t get whining about Broomhilda. No movie has all characters well written. Lets bitch about Eli Roth and the Little Man in IB. Or,better, lets bitch about absolutely everyone in The Floppit. Now those are 100% underwritten characters or, worse, card board cuttouts that don`t even pass for characters.

Probably because it's the only movie he's made that's an adaptation.

Thats probably it, but its also before Tarantino went full pop culture. Next came Kill Bill and Death Proof.

As Roger Ebert said of Jackie Brown, I could have watched the characters talk, scheme and live for two more hours. 

I get goosebumps at the end.

I was shocked when I saw Jackie Brown too. It's his only film that is somewhat normal and grounded in reality.

Its also by far the least violent of his movies, and I'd argue it has some of his best dialogue.

If you'd have to show one Tarantino picture to your grandma, I'd choose Jackie Brown.

That movie had a great cast too. I think Sam Jackson should've gotten an Oscar nomination for that one as well. De Niro is awesome too.

Samuel L. Jackson is fucking great in it. I also really liked Pam Grier, she had such great screen presence.

Jackie Brown is probably the most emotional of Tarantino's films, too. Kinda made me want to tear up at the end.

BTW, Pam Grier used to be pretty hot back in the 70's

How long was the movie planned to be then?

If everything in the shooting script made it in I'd guesstimate based on the length of the theatrical cut...210-220 minutes. The rough cut in early December was 3 hours 15 minutes and they spent 2 weeks shaving a half-hour off the time before it was ready to screen.

Edited by 4815162342

Hm. Pam Grier got a SAG and GG nom for Jackie Brown. Was her Oscar omission considered a big snub?

I dont know who else was nominated that year, but she totally should have got a nomination. SLJ deserved one too, as did Tarantino's adapted screenplay

Jackie Brown's pretty underrated. QT was absolutely right when he said that he intended the film to be the kind that grows on you because you just want to hang out with those characters, and you realize it more with each viewing. The problem is that not many folks are willing to watch it the second time... the fact that most people aren't watching QT films for their subtlety and restraint doesn't help either.

I'd still say that Inglourious Basterds is his most intelligent and mature work, though. He ultimately did outdo Jackie Brown on that front. Although JB is still his most soothing, beautiful and comfortable movie to watch... you just really want to spend time in that world.

Robert Forster got nominated, didn't he? He was great in the movie. It was a rare ensemble with no weak links

Seriously, I thought the minute QT got a good performance out of Chris Tucker people should have stopped doubting his casting choices once and for all.