Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

That's exactly my point. Something like the Holocaust is grim enough, and it is emotional. It can and deserves to stand on its own two feet. It doesn't need Spielberg to come in and add a shower scene where he draws you out for ages as you ponder whether or not its gas or water. We don't need something like that in the movie to make it a masterpiece, or to make us cringe. It's the fucking holocaust it does that already, leave it at the truth and nothing more or less than what'd be true. That's my problem with the movie, I think he's tampering with the accuracy of such an important historical event for the sake of a few extra tears; something that just the truth would already bring in by the bucketfuls. I however, do apologise for this rant if something like the shower scene actually happened because from what I've read on the holocaust it doesn't seem like something that would've happened to me. 

Obviously it didn't happen normally during the Holocaust, but the scenario depicted during that scene was not a normal one. It was a scenario about a trainload of Jews "accidentally" shipped to Auschwitz and they probably were about to get gassed until the last minute until (offscreen) whomever was in charge was informed of the mistake and held off on the extermination to wait for further orders.

The whole point of Schindler's List is that the events depicted were an aberration, a happy set of freak coincidences that spared the lives of about 1,000+ Jews who would otherwise have died long before.

Now it's been several years since I read the  novel Spielberg adapted into the movie so I don't know if that instance was depicted in the novel, which is based on research and interviews of the Schindler survivors.

Edited by 4815162342

~Still thinks Amour sucks~

I'm thinking it's still between Argo and Lincoln.

Le sigh. You've already gotten enough shit for that down in the review thread. :lol: 

It's the only two possibilities left, but I still think Lincoln's out front unless Spielberg loses DGA this weekend. Then, Argo'll be the film to beat. 

The shower scene illustrated one thing about that situation. They didn't know from one minute to the next if they were going to be exterminated. The shower scene exemplifies that. There was also another scene that shows them drawing blood and rubbing it into their cheeks so they looked healthy enough not to be killed. Only the ones physically fit enough to do the jobs were kept on, the others were killed. That's not manipulative, that shows the absolute horror they all went through. I don't think you really know what manipulation is riczhang if you think that the shower scene was gratuitous. Sorry to keep picking on you but I just feel you are distorting the facts.

People may pick movies to take sides with this awards season but LEAVE JAWS THE $%()# OUT OF IT.

All jokes aside, I know not everyone is going to love JAWS the way I do and that's fine. But to me, there really isn't another film even close to it. E.T is my number two film of all time, and even that film can't come close to the sheer power of Jaws....imo.
  • Like 1

The shower scene illustrated one thing about that situation. They didn't know from one minute to the next if they were going to be exterminated. The shower scene exemplifies that. There was also another scene that shows them drawing blood and rubbing it into their cheeks so they looked healthy enough not to be killed. Only the ones physically fit enough to do the jobs were kept on, the others were killed. That's not manipulative, that shows the absolute horror they all went through. I don't think you really know what manipulation is riczhang if you think that the shower scene was gratuitous. Sorry to keep picking on you but I just feel you are distorting the facts.

But, the shower scene dragged on and on and on and on. He dragged out the moments where you aren't sure if its gas or water for ages and I have a problem with that. Sure, it could be construed as not knowing if they're going to be exterminated, but I think that the point is already fairly obvious in the movie and can definitely be done in one that stays true to the facts. I think that the holocaust should be something that should be left alone and left as fact. The Shower scene IMO takes a gassing and cinemafies it beyond any acceptable bounds of truthful story telling. 

No! Jaws is one of my favorite movies. It's one thing that me and baumer agree on, therefore it's unstoppable.

Yes, it's a cosmic meeting of the minds. If you and I agree implicitly on something, then you know it is flawless. :)

Jaws is unstoppable. It's brilliant.

Okay, there seems to be two films all three of us love...JAWS and Amour. This means they are unequivocally brilliant. lol
  • Like 1

But, the shower scene dragged on and on and on and on. He dragged out the moments where you aren't sure if its gas or water for ages and I have a problem with that. Sure, it could be construed as not knowing if they're going to be exterminated, but I think that the point is already fairly obvious in the movie and can definitely be done in one that stays true to the facts. I think that the holocaust should be something that should be left alone and left as fact. The Shower scene IMO takes a gassing and cinemafies it beyond any acceptable bounds of truthful story telling.

Okay, fair enough. I understand where you are coming from. I respectfully disagree with you but I no longer hate what you are saying. :)
  • Like 1

Okay, fair enough. I understand where you are coming from. I respectfully disagree with you but I no longer hate what you are saying. :)

Good.:D And other than that I think Schindler's List is a masterful movie. I personally can't get over that hurdle but if I could it'd be a masterpiece. And even with that hurdle it's still a 8.5/10 movie for me. 

• Like 1