Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

Crone > Wells if only because Crone can write and Wells never makes any damn sense in his reviews. Crone's reviews of The Master and Zero Dark Thirty are gorgeous.

Crone should probably realize that the same thing that's plaguing Lincoln plagued The Social Network. A lot of people think both are awards worthy (I do!) but their Oscar campaigns were basically calls to worship. Everywhere in 2011 we saw The Social Network posters showing every critics award the film won, and this year Spielberg and Kennedy are putting out whole spreads in the New York Times about what a monumental achievement Lincoln is. Lincoln and TSN ARE monumental achievements but they speak for themselves, they don't need to be put on a pedestal because voters don't like being told what they should vote for. 

It's tragic. Her squinty eyes and pulled-back lips became stuck in place. All that Botox and bee-sting therapy she went through to make herself look younger really did a number on her. Studios just aren't willing to take the risk now, lest audiences flee theatres in terror.

LOL. Jesus, I never could stand Renee. Kinda glad she's faded away.

She did sort of wreak havoc on your country, didn't she? :lol:

I guess. But man it was just everything about her. I remember her Oscar speech being annoying as hell too.I'm glad the last relevant thing she did was a cameo role in Monsters vs. Aliens 4 years ago. Edited by CoolioD1

Academy Poster Gallery. They did Academy Award posters for all of the 84 winners, but one collective one. The collective one is really nice, and some of the individual oscar statue ones are excellent, most of them are good, and there's a few WTF and horrible ones. 

http://oscar.go.com/photos/themed-galleries/special/oscars-best-pictures-tribute/media/85poster

I love the Annie Hall one

Rewatching Argo (for a third time... yes, I really like this movie) and I'm realizing that if anyone in the film deserves Supporting Actor recognition it's Cranston. He shows the most range in the movie and owns his role, because, well, he's Bryan Cranston. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

Academy Poster Gallery. They did Academy Award posters for all of the 84 winners, but one collective one. The collective one is really nice, and some of the individual oscar statue ones are excellent, most of them are good, and there's a few WTF and horrible ones. 

http://oscar.go.com/photos/themed-galleries/special/oscars-best-pictures-tribute/media/85poster

The Crash one is an Oscar in blackface? :lol: Seriously guys?

I don't feel sorry for her at all. She's crazy. And, while Lincoln looked like the obvious choice, and I was predicting it from Oscar nominations till DGA, I look back on it (with copious amounts of hindsight bias) and see that it wasn't going to win. Lincoln as someone in the industry put it to me is like a china doll. To be respected and carefully handled for its expert craft but never loved. 

:bravo:

She thinks she`s a black feminist liberator of gay men and women. Off to Arkham with her, I say!

LOL. Jesus, I never could stand Renee. Kinda glad she's faded away.

It`s funny that everyone feels this way about her even those who admit she had talent. She was super cute circa Jerry Maguire and Nurse betty and terrific in the first Bridget Jones (as well as in pretty much all other movies that came before). I think that she went downhill looks-wise when she lost way too much weight for Chicago and looked like a lollypop and than came that desperate Oscar whoring in Cold Mountain. So decline in looks and acting department. Sad what Oscar hunger can do. I hope it destroys Shitto who`s now agressively chasing the Oscar.

Edited by fishnets

I think its weird that Argo didn't get a best director nod when its cleaning up at all these other award shows. And I think it will be even weirder if Argo wins best picture and the director isn't even nominated.

There are so many theories on what happened.  There is a theory that the directors felt that others were going to vote for Affleck/Bigelow and that they were safe, so they voted for others (Haneke, Biehn).

Another Theory is that the Directors Knew Argo and Affleck was popular, and that they didn't want Argo to 'Sweep' the two big awards.

Who knows.