Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

Do they finally bow to JLaw? I thought ADF hated her.

The like whatever Sasha hates :P and I'm fairly sure they aren't talking about JLaw. The Actress 2013 (the first of 3746263 of ADF's infamous Actress threads and already like 15 pages long :o) has been mostly people talking about the train wreck of a movie Grace of Monaco will be, and Meryl, and Nanny.

Whiny bitch? Ang Lee and Claudio Miranda would have won shit without Rythm & Hues amazing work.

Posted Image

Posted Image

These pics are halirious, and I'm all for these SFX deserving more than they get, but I'd also say that Ang Lee could still have won BD by hiring another SFX company. However, this film would never be as equally successful if being made by another director.

• Like 1

Whiny bitch? Ang Lee and Claudio Miranda would have won shit without Rythm & Hues amazing work.

Could've used any other VFX company. In fact, in retrospect they probably should've gone with ILM or Weta (who did the amazing work with ROTPOTA) and saved all this trouble and fuss with the bankrupt company. 

• Like 1

Since Ang Lee finds Pi's VFX were way too expensive, I don't think Weta or ILM would have charged less than Rythm & Hues who managed to do an amazing work for a lower bid than the big twos would have asked (Instead of a 120M budget, the movie would have inflated to a 190-200M budget) so in the end they have plenty legitimity to "whine" when people seems to undervalue their work in the whole scheme of the movie (but drool over Richard Parker like Ang Lee only needs to push a button to make it alive) when they just won Oscars for best VFX (and best picture, sorry but the amount of effects and complex CGI scenery contribute so much to the sheen of the movie and its success to not take that into consideration. Half-assed VFX would have squandered and sunk the movie) and they still go bankrupt...

That tells a lot about how VFX guys are perceived. If they keep quiet, people won't know how this industry is rotten to the core because of the rush to the cheaper bid pressured by big studios (but with high end CGI quality of course that overkill their mindless products) . If they take a stand, people called them "whiny bitch" and spoiled guys...They can't win either way.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

I don't mind taking a stace but this is ridiculous. If you read the quote you realise this man has taken Ang Lee's quote completely out of context. I would like it to be cheaper and less tough refers to the VFX vendors. He wants the VFX not to cost so damn fucking much for the companies so they don't fold. But, he realises that it isn't possible for many companies to cut their costs as research costs a shit load of money. I find it offensive and libellous that someone could take a well intentioned and sympathetic comment and turn it into an attack.

I don't mind taking a stace but this is ridiculous. If you read the quote you realise this man has taken Ang Lee's quote completely out of context. I would like it to be cheaper and less tough refers to the VFX vendors. He wants the VFX not to cost so damn fucking much for the companies so they don't fold. But, he realises that it isn't possible for many companies to cut their costs as research costs a shit load of money. I find it offensive and libellous that someone could take a well intentioned and sympathetic comment and turn it into an attack.

Someone just seized an opportunity to get some shine.

Yeah Ang Lee was kinda misunderstood by this guy (and many fellow artists did not support his acrimonious rant against Lee because he openly overreacted over a small snippet that he didn't really understand in its whole context out of anger) but all in all it was a weird way for Lee to begin his stance by wishing VFX were cheaper to produce (for VFX vendors) even if it was his way of acknowledging their work and their valuable contribution to his movie. Lee unintentionally irked that man.

His rant made him ridiculous but the whole situation and VFX workers stance are not. High quality comes at a price.

Edited by dashrendar44

And from a practical perspective, it's not going to do the VFX artists any favors to try to turn Ang Lee (rather than the studios) into the villain of this piece. Not only is there a published Q & A/interview in which he expressed sympathy for the plight of R & H and the people who worked VFX, he's also generally well-liked. The response in the industry will not be, "Ang Lee sucks!" it will be, "Why are you being mean to him?"

If this was a ploy for attention so that they could get their actual talking points out, it was a terrible ploy. No one will care what you have to say once they realize you're over-reacting and fabricating controversy. Attacking him over something he didn't even say will not make people sit up and listen to your side, it will only make them roll their eyes at how ridiculous you are.

I really wish he hadn't published this idiotic letter because it detracts from the message they need to get out there. I cringed as soon as I saw it, and I say that as someone who thinks VFX folks have been treated very badly by Hollywood.

Edited by floofy
  • Like 3

These pics are halirious, and I'm all for these SFX deserving more than they get, but I'd also say that Ang Lee could still have won BD by hiring another SFX company. However, this film would never be as equally successful if being made by another director.

The point is without anyone's VFX, not just without R&Hs.
  • Like 1