Impact

2013 Best Picture Thread

ZDT is still my favorite movie of last year, but like with THL, there's not much of a script there to consider it anything remarkable. The dialogue is good but nothing that special, it's the acting that makes the characters work and the direction that makes the story work. Boal owes a lot of his newfound success and reputation to Bigelow - her directorial ability elevated both of his scripts like no one else's probably would, IMO.

Re: Tarantino, there's no question to me that he's the best writer to come along in the past two decades, perhaps the best since Woody. And while not the best writer ever, he's certainly one of the all-time greats in my eyes. Deserved both of his writing Oscars, should have won another one for Basterds and also nominated for Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown and Kill Bill 2.

ZDT is still my favorite movie of last year, but like with THL, there's not much of a script there to consider it anything remarkable. The dialogue is good but nothing that special, it's the acting that makes the characters work and the direction that makes the story work. Boal owes a lot of his newfound success and reputation to Bigelow - her directorial ability elevated both of his scripts like no one else's probably would, IMO.

Re: Tarantino, there's no question to me that he's the best writer to come along in the past two decades, perhaps the best since Woody. And while not the best writer ever, he's certainly one of the all-time greats in my eyes. Deserved both of his writing Oscars, should have won another one for Basterds and also nominated for Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown and Kill Bill 2.

QT>PTA

This and this! So much QT love!

JackieBrown is the only script of QT's thats mature, and thats because its not his original story

That old argument again. The hell is not mature about Reservoir Dogs, KB2 and Basterds, at least? Just because the characters do and/or say immature things from time to time (something that wasn't totally absent from Jackie Brown, either) doesn't mean the writing is immature as well. Take the whole opening scene of Inglourious or Bill's introduction in KB2 and tell me that's not some great, intelligent writing right there.

I also gotta say I probably like Magnolia the least of PTA's films. Felt less like a smooth, organic film/script and more like something PTA just needed to get off his chest as quickly as possible. There are some great individual bits there, no doubt, but it never really came together for me (just like The Master, which at least doesn't run for 3 hours and mostly focuses on just  2 characters). I remember how I watched PDL and TWBB right after Magnolia and was amazed how naturally and easily they flowed in comparison.

I'm terrible at backing up my opinions, so I wont get too much into this but I just think most of the time Tarantino movies arent really about anything other than his own cleverness, and lately walloving in b-movie nostalgia

Edited by Jack Nevada

I'm terrible at backing up my opinions, so I wont get too much into this but I just think most of the time Tarantino movies arent really about anything other than his own cleverness, and lately walloving in b-movie nostalgia

I agree with this. His scripts are mainly raunchy for raunchy's sake. I do love pulp and IB, though.