Impact

2013 Best Picture Thread

One thing that prevents Gravity from winning BP is the same thing that prevented "Hugo" and "Life of Pi" from winning-no nominated for best ensemble at the SAG's. Remember since they started in 1995 only Braveheart won BP without a nomination for best ensemble. (Keep in mind-first year, so if it was later it would of been nominated). Since Gravity will only be nominated for actress at the SAG's.Now-what film will have the most noms now?

The big difference is that unlike Avatar, Hugo, and Life Of Pi, the cast of gravity is marked by two oscar winning A-listers, albeit only two of them.
  • Like 2

The big difference is that unlike Avatar, Hugo, and Life Of Pi, the cast of gravity is marked by two oscar winning A-listers, albeit only two of them.

Best ensemble wouldn't be for a film with just 2 people is what I am saying ;)

My biggest problem with Gravity was that it made me sick at times. Still the 3D was not that bad, but not sure if I would ever want to see it like that again. (At times it felt like one of those educational films I had to watch when I was little)

You know-it would not surprise me if Ridely Scott sneaks in a nomination due to the "overdue" factor.

• Like 1

No, I agree, it won't get a SAG nom. But it may get a bunch of SAG support for the Oscars, that's all I'm saying.

Yes I know-but I was saying that no film has ever won best picture without being nominated there since Braveheart (which is a different story entirely).

The thing is that if Gravity doesn't win it will be among the biggest upsets up there with Star Wars and Citizen Kane. 

12YAS might be the frontrunner but it is another historical drama. I doubt it is anything as extraordinary as Gravity. For it not to win would be among the biggest Oscar travestys. 

It might not win SAG, but it does have the advantage of Clooney and Bullock being it. That helps a little. That can help it get votes for the actual Academy Awards actor branch members.

• Like 1

The thing is that if Gravity doesn't win it will be among the biggest upsets up there with Star Wars and Citizen Kane. 

12YAS might be the frontrunner but it is another historical drama. I doubt it is anything as extraordinary as Gravity. For it not to win would be among the biggest Oscar travestys. 

It might not win SAG, but it does have the advantage of Clooney and Bullock being it. That helps a little. That can help it get votes for the actual Academy Awards actor branch members.

I said nomination for the SAG-not win, it wont be nominated for best ensemble.

BTW-contrary to what many of us think, apparently Star Wars never was a frontrunner in 1977. I remember when I was 16 on a Oscar message board saying how Star Wars should of won and the "oldies" there were saying how they remembered it had no chance of winning. I guess they know better then any of us.

I said nomination for the SAG-not win, it wont be nominated for best ensemble.

BTW-contrary to what many of us think, apparently Star Wars never was a frontrunner in 1977. I remember when I was 16 on a Oscar message board saying how Star Wars should of won and the "oldies" there were saying how they remembered it had no chance of winning. I guess they know better then any of us.

Same is true of Citizen Kane. My point was even if it seems likely come Oscar season that Gravity won't win BP, it will be one of the biggest mistakes in Oscar history up there with Star Wars and Citizen Kane. Gravity has the highest ever average rating of any film on RT since the Internet era that is a wide-release American film. I fully expect this film in 10 years time to be considered a classic and on many top lists of best films of all-time. I guarantee this will also make AFI"s top 100 once the next voting comes around as well.

• Like 1

It would not be an upset in that league. For it to be an upset people need to be predicting it to win, which it won't do. It's a nifty space thriller but not much else.

• Like 2

It would not be an upset in that league. For it to be an upset people need to be predicting it to win, which it won't do. It's a nifty space thriller but not much else.

Yeah. I loved Gravity but I can't see how it losing BP would be one of the biggest upsets ever (or, hell, an upset at all - to me it'd actually be an upset if it did win). It's not even one of the three best films I saw in the theater this year, and I can definitely believe that 12YAS *could* be a better movie, and a just as important one (since it seems like the first one to talk so directly and explicitly about slavery).

Yeah. I loved Gravity but I can't see how it losing BP would be one of the biggest upsets ever (or, hell, an upset at all - to me it'd actually be an upset if it did win). It's not even one of the three best films I saw in the theater this year, and I can definitely believe that 12YAS *could* be a better movie, and a just as important one (since it seems like the first one to talk so directly and explicitly about slavery).

Exactly, 12 Years a Slave means so much more, it is so much more profound. I could easily see it becoming a classic, and if it's as unforgettable as people have said then I don't see how it can't.

Just think of the Oscars as what that particular group of people (older, with a strong slant towards historical dramas) like the most. They're almost never the true barometer of what will end up being the most influential/beloved/important over time. (Though, of course, sometimes they're completely right also).