Impact

2013 Best Picture Thread

Gravity is the sort of movie that you can only truly judge a few years after its release, like Avatar. Anyone here remember Avatar hype ? Then it lost to The Hurt Locker and today very few people think it deserved to win either BP or BD. Gravity may be in the same boat 5 years from now.

Gravity is the sort of movie that you can only truly judge a few years after its release, like Avatar. Anyone here remember Avatar hype ? Then it lost to The Hurt Locker and today very few people think it deserved to win either BP or BD. Gravity may be in the same boat 5 years from now.

I can already tell you Gravity will be better remembered than Avatar, since unlike Avatar, Gravity is a film about the human spirit at its heart, but no one remembers Avatar for the human story, it was known for solely the 3D.

• Like 3

I can already tell you Gravity will be better remembered than Avatar, since unlike Avatar, Gravity is a film about the human spirit at its heart, but no one remembers Avatar for the human story, it was known for solely the 3D.

Its also pretty much a nail biter from start to finish with maybe the best performance of Bullock's career.

• Like 2

sigh

AVATAR didn't make 760m because of 3D. Whether simple or not, it was a story -- and characters -- that people connected with.

• Like 5

Fairly confident right now in these being the nominees:

Gravity

Saving Mr. Banks

The Wolf of Wall Street

American Hustle

Captain Phillips

The Monuments Men

12 Years a Slave

Inside Llewyn Davis

Blue Jasmine

If a tenth gets nominated and/or Wolf moves to next year then I think it will be between Nebraska, The Butler, and Before Midnight. Hopefully Midnight, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 2

sigh

AVATAR didn't make 760m because of 3D. Whether simple or not, it was a story -- and characters -- that people connected with.

Was gonna argue, but agree with Ozy, screw it. :P Though it'd be an interesting thread in maybe two years time, Gravity vs. Avatar. ;)

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 1

Well the poll for what will have the most noms wont be till later-but what are you guys guessing?

So far, I'd go with Gravity

Picture

Director

Actress

Original Screenplay

Original Score

Cinematography

Film Editing

Production Design?

Sound Editing

Sound Mixing

Visual Effects

ten, possibly eleven noms

• Like 1

So far, I'd go with Gravity

Picture

Director

Actress

Original Screenplay

Original Score

Cinematography

Film Editing

Production Design?

Sound Editing

Sound Mixing

Visual Effects

ten, possibly eleven noms

I don't think Gravity gets any screenplay nomination but agree with the rest.

Flip a coin between Gravity and 12 Years a Slave, IMO. I don't know if anything else has a shot

Yep, I don't see any other movie capable of competing with these two unless a schmaltzy affair a la  King s Speech derails everything ( Mr Banks ?).

They are possibly already classics.

It's way too early to call anything a lock.

Actually, no.

The dudes at Awards Watch often call locks 6 to 9 months in advance and they more often right than wrong. Jlaw was called the frontrunner for best actress the night SLP was first screened at Tiff in early September, 6 months before Awards night.

We know almost every contender except for 3 or 4 (Her, Hustle, Wolf, Banks), it is very easy to make predictions right now.

Edited by The Futurist

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Avatar haters, still cute ( & clueless) after all these years.