Ezen Baklattan

BOF's 15 Best Films Of 2012. (TDKR Tribute On Pg. 19!)

15. THE MASTER (Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson) - 82 Points

Posted Image

“I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.”

Paul Thomas Anderson’s first film since Academy Award nominee There Will Be Blood serves as his allegory for the rise of scientology in the 1950s. The relationship that develops between Freddie Quell and Lancaster Dodd, is skillfully directed, and Phoenix, Hoffman, and Adams command the screen with their roles. When it comes to filmmaking, Paul Thomas Anderson is proving to be *puts on sunglasses* quite the master. YEAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!

User Reviews

“But for viewers who are already on board with Anderson's style, it's another must-see, as it is as fiercely compelling and stimulating as his previous work.” - Webslinger

PTA is the kind of director, much like Kubrick, where there are no accidents on the screen. Every single detail is exactly the way it should be, with very specific purposes and meanings. It is up to us to figure those out. Let me tell you, I am having a blast trying to unravel the movie he made.” - rallax

Facts & Figures

Box Office: 16m DOM / 20m WW

Rotten Tomatoes: 86% (8.1/10 Av. Rating)

Metacritic: 86

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 4

What an amusing typo. :lol:

Anyways, let's just get this over with. Better now than later.

14. THE HUNGER GAMES - Directed By Gary Ross (92 Points)

Posted Image

“May the odds be ever in your favor.”

Well, it was cool how it made a lot of money, I guess, and it had a really strong first half, so.......er.......let’s just cut straight to the user testimonies, okay?

User Reviews

“Loved it. Had a few minor problems, namely the handling of Rue and JNH's score, but otherwise I was hugely satisfied.” - dddddeeeee

“I thought the battles were really well done. The shakiness was there to show how hectic everything was without being to violent for a PG-13 rating.” - Iceroll

Facts & Figures

Box Office: 408m DOM, 686m WW

Rotten Tomatoes: 85% (7.2/10 Av. Rating)

Metacritic: 67

• Like 7

acsc1312, if you're reading this, you might want to leave.

13. LES MISERABLES - Directed By Tom Hooper (94 Points)

Posted Image

“I had a dream my life would be so different from this hell I’m living!”

SO. MANY. FEELS. Unapologetically bombastic, and blessed with powerful performances and beautiful crafting, Tom Hooper brings the splendor of the universally acclaimed musical to the big screen, and he mostly succeeds. That, and Anne Hathaway pretty much made everyone in the universe cry.

User Reviews

while perhaps not as effective as its source material is onstage, it's powerful enough on film to win over viewers that are new to the experience.” - Webslinger

“It's a masterpiece of a movie, cinematography was fine, it was emotional and well made. It does tower and buckle and tiny bit under the sheer size of what it is, but it's still brilliant.” - Riczhang

Facts & Figures

Box Office: 131m DOM / 281m WW (and counting)

Rotten Tomatoes: 70% (7/10 Av. Rating)

Metacritic: 63

• Like 4