A Marvel Fanboy

Oscars 2013: Who's Putting Academy Screeners Online ?

According to TorrentFreak, The Hobbit has been viewed 2 million times. And though studios use watermarking technology to hunt down those responsible, awards season is certainly the favorite time of the year for pirates, since screeners provide pristine copies of the latest films. "It's out of control," confesses one distributor. "It's Hollywood's dirty little secret."

• Like 1

Weinstein films are generally the best protected. Also what I find kinda annoying is that every calls them Academy screener leaks but in actuality very little if any are actual Academy leaks. Most of the leaks you see are generally from SAG or other similarly large guilds. Two big reasons is that the guilds are too large to control effectively especially SAG with 100000+ members. Secondly, the academy members are people who are very distinguished in their fields and this have more integrity and belief in supporting the industry. This is why we generally never see torrents of Academy exclusive screeners leaked. (though a lot of those are already out on DVD) all the leaks houses are generally screeners mailed out to the masses.

• Like 1

don't know and don't care but very grateful ! you know how infuriating it is to like to follow award season and not be able to see any of the film because they're not the usual fare of your one lone theatre moviegoers who seeminlgy prefer comedies/ actions and throw in random drama like a bone for the rare older crowd!

i had nearly given in until last  minute they added les miserables and so i went to see it   on the big screen but i was getting antsy as more guilds are given out their prizes , come award season i'd pay to see the movies but if i'm not even given the choice ,what am i suppose to do? it sucks to be sidelines from convo just because of where you live!