riczhang

Riczhang's Year 6 Reviews

Spaghetti you need to clarify because there were two phases to Creator's tenure in the original CAYOM.

Creator Phase 1 made some of the most epic, ambitious, colossal Oscar contenders that would fall flat on their face. Or just plain weird/terribad films.

Onara's Spellcast, African Destiny, The Creator of God, Chains That Bind, the film with the strange matter-eating black goo, the film where the Earth goes into an ice age and a woman gets frozen solid and preserved and then gets de-iced 1,000 years later and is perfectly fine (i forgot those two films' titles). Many of them were completely lol-worthy.

Then in Year 35, Creator turned it all around with Live and Let Burn and he hasn't looked back since.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

Spaghetti you need to clarify because there were two phases to Creator's tenure in the original CAYOM.

Creator Phase 1 made some of the most epic, ambitious, colossal Oscar contenders that would fall flat on their face. Or just plain weird/terribad films.

Onara's Spellcast, African Destiny, The Creator of God, Chains That Bind, the film with the strange matter-eating black goo, the film where the Earth goes into an ice age and a woman gets frozen solid and preserved and then gets de-iced 1,000 years later and is perfectly fine (i forgot those two films' titles). Many of them were completely lol-worthy.

Then in Year 35, Creator turned it all around with Live and Let Burn and he hasn't looked back since.

Actually that film sounds really interesting

I've got my top 5 roughly figured out now. And here's 5 clues, any guesses?

1 film is released in the 1st half of the year

2 films are big budget tentpoles

3 players are represented

4 films are in over 3000 theatres during their widest release

All 5 films are on at least one other top 25 list. 

Expedecade and Avarice are the two tentpoles. Players represented will be Numbers, Creator, and I. I'll guess that the other three are High Life, 24 Hours, and 451.

Edited by Blankments Into Darkness

The films on my Top 25 and my Honourable Mention (10 Films) list will be announced alphabetically by the director's last name. The top 5 will be announced separately. The films will be announced in chunks of 5 at a time. I will announced once now. Twice more at 10pm PST and 11pm PST before posting the rest tomorrow starting at 1pm PST at 1 hour intervals. 

So without further ado here are the first 5 films:

J.J. Abram's Barricade

Ben Affleck's 24 Hours

Jack Bender's Mysteries of the Beyond

Peter Berg's New Species

Cameron Crowe's Mr. Rogers goes to Washington

Edited by riczhang
  • Like 4

Alfonso Cauron's 451

Guillermo Del Toro's The Screwtape Letters

HM. (Honourable Mention) 

Paul Fieg's Wonder Woman

Kan Gao's To The Moon

Clark Gregg, Adam Green, and Quintein Tarantino's Liam Neeson and Chuck Norris vs. Giant Spiders

Well Done Blank. I never thought I'd rank a film like this so high. Absolute pleasure reading it. Most fun reading a movie this entire year.

Edited by riczhang
  • Like 3

Have to admit, I'm disappointed that To The Moon didn't crack the top 10.

It came very close. 9-16 were all me trying to separate individual hairs to see which 9/10 rating was the highest. 

HM. 

Tommy Lee Jones's The Shepherd and the Daughter of the Sun

Spike Jonze's High Life

HM. 

Joseph Kosinski's Bioshock

HM. 

Louis Leterrier's Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Phil Lord and Christopher Miller's Sir Thymes Times

• Like 2

spoiler]Well Done Blank. I never thought I'd rank a film like this so high. Absolute pleasure reading it. Most fun reading a movie this entire year.

I remember back when you gave the first Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson vs. a 0/10, and now it's the sixth best movie of the year. A true rag-to-riches story. ;)

• Like 3