riczhang

85th Academy Awards Ceremony Thread SADNESS

Seth is getting terrible reviews. Expected, since he was not very good at all.

He couldn't decide if he wanted to be Billy Crystal or offensive. He straddled the line unsuccessfully... even worse, he never shut up and let the show be the show. He popped in between every single segment. 

There were only a few bits that landed for me- Flight with sock puppets, the Rex Reed joke, and the Prometheus joke. But it was a big swing and a miss. Even "We Saw Your Boobs" which should have been funny was killed because four of the actresses/movies he cited were rape scenes. 

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Anti-Defamation League slammed the host for a joke made by Ted (voiced by MacFarlane) about Jews in Hollywood.

"While we have come toexpect inappropriate 'Jews control Hollywood' jokes from SethMacFarlane, what he did at the Oscars was offensive and not remotelyfunny. It only reinforces stereotypes which legitimize anti-Semitism,"the ADL wrote in a statement, according to the Reporter. "It is sad anddisheartening that the Oscars awards show sought to use anti-Jewishstereotypes for laughs."

:rofl:

God, I hate this PC country. England would neva.

Wasn't the point of that boobs song supposed to be that it was stupid and crass? Least that's how I saw it.

Like everything else he did, he didn't straddle the line well. Were we supposed to laugh at how grotesque it was, particularly when Charlize Theron and Naomi Watts looked mortified, or were we supposed to laugh at the fact that Kate Winslet has actually been naked a lot in movies? 

I don't care if he offended anyone- this job is all in good fun- but he just wasn't funny. He made the show all about him and his own pop culture fantasies. The Flying Nun? William Shatner? What does any of this have to do with the year in movies? 

I'll put it this way: I laughed more at what Daniel Day-Lewis said than all of Macfarlane's bits combined. 

Like everything else he did, he didn't straddle the line well. Were we supposed to laugh at how grotesque it was, particularly when Charlize Theron and Naomi Watts looked mortified, or were we supposed to laugh at the fact that Kate Winslet has actually been naked a lot in movies? 

I don't care if he offended anyone- this job is all in good fun- but he just wasn't funny. He made the show all about him and his own pop culture fantasies. The Flying Nun? William Shatner? What does any of this have to do with the year in movies? 

I'll put it this way: I laughed more at what Daniel Day-Lewis said than all of Macfarlane's bits combined. 

Well I disagree... duh.

The cutaways to the actresses were part of the gag -- they were in on it. Still, there's a line between self-satirization and self-congratulation: to do the former, you riff on the gag quickly, maybe 15-20 seconds of the song, and move on. Showing the whole damn song is essentially self-congratulation, especially when you're cutting off winners to do so.

• Like 1

Ohh fuck off with the sexist bullshit. I've been seeing that all over Twitter, from Crone etc, now CNN too? People need to grow a sense of humor. The boob song was fuckin hilarious.

How dare Crone attack seth for sexism when she supports it with:

Posted Image

She always poses with her Double Ds out which is objectivisation of women, well, it would be if she was attractive. As it is, she`s a crone so nobody thinks it`s sexification of women.

How dare Crone attack seth for sexism when she supports it with:

Posted Image

She always poses with her Double Ds out which is objectivisation of women, well, it would be if she was attractive. As it is, she`s a crone so nobody thinks it`s sexification of women.

You know Crone accidentally posted her address on Twitter the other day. I fear for her safety.