No, The Human Centipede is as far away from Nemo/Wall-E as you can get. It may be more violent, but John Carter does share thematic similarities with those movies in being a fish-out-of-water story with a personal relationship at the center. On paper it's really not all that out there as a film that Stanton would do.

Again, I think using animation credits for a live-action film is pointless. They are different universes. Most moviegoers would see the Nemo/Wall-E credits with the Carter footage and think, "I love those, but this doesn't look anything like them." I don't think that's a positive effect in their minds.

Edited by RichWS

Again, I think using animation credits for a live-action film is pointless. They are different universes. Most moviegoers would see the Nemo/Wall-E credits with the Carter footage and think, "I love those, but this doesn't look anything like them." I don't think that's a positive effect in their minds.

And I can think back to past efforts where it failed. Prince of Persia, as I recall, was labeled as "from the producers of Pirates of the Caribbean". Remember Space Chimps? From the writers of Shrek! It made like 10% of what the Shrek's averaged...

Pixar has a unique and singular brand. Without it, I could imagine Brave doing far worse than it might actually (say it opens in the 40s, without Pixar, I could see this in the teens or twenties). Pixar's brand is fine. Each movie's run is dependent on its own quality. Wall-E had pacing issues, so instead of running into the mid or high 200s, it settled in the low 200s. It had the lead character, comedy and story to hit those high numbers, but it was too dull and slow at parts (my son fell asleep the first time we saw it in theaters). Rat's concept didn't have the broad appeal of some of their other concepts. Plus, it was more adult driven in storytelling and content. Thus, it opened lower and finished at 200. Cars 2 was too kiddish for a decent portion of Pixar's broad audience, and thus it sputtered out just shy of 200.

On the other hand UP had a nearly perfect blend of comedy and drama and was their first original (IMO) to nail it since TI.

Brave's run will depend on if it has its own issues like Rat, Wall-E, Cars 2, etc or if it nails it like UP did.

All this bad pub goes away if they release a trailer to die for, or if early reviews and screenings are through the roof (like most past Pixar efforts have been).

The general feeling I get from tweets about it is that it would've had a positive effect. I know Twitter != everyone but the way the marketing campaign was it probably wouldn't have hurt to try. No one would've criticized Disney for doing it.

The general feeling I get from tweets about it is that it would've had a positive effect. I know Twitter != everyone but the way the marketing campaign was it probably wouldn't have hurt to try. No one would've criticized Disney for doing it.

I'm not saying it would've hurt the movie, but I think a lot of the online world would have had the response I posted. Why sell me on Pixar work when it's nothing like a Pixar movie?

When Cars 2 disappointed commercially and most importantly critically, I knew it would open the floodgates for criticizing (rational or not) Pixar. It was bound to happen at some point. I didn't like Cars 2 as well though and as a fan of the studio it also left me nervous for Brave but let's wait and see. I think it looks good and promising. I think in a way it's a good thing that some people are already lukewarm early on with Brave so as not to raise the expectations way too much. I love Pixar but some fans do tend to get overboard with the love.

When Cars 2 disappointed commercially and most importantly critically, I knew it would open the floodgates for criticizing (rational or not) Pixar. It was bound to happen at some point. I didn't like Cars 2 as well though and as a fan of the studio it also left me nervous for Brave but let's wait and see. I think it looks good and promising. I think in a way it's a good thing that some people are already lukewarm early on with Brave so as not to raise the expectations way too much. I love Pixar but some fans do tend to get overboard with the love.

after Cars 2 disappointed? the floodgates for criticizing were in full swing long before Cars 2 came out, with plenty of nasty things said about Mr. Lassetter in particular about his motivations in film-making today.

Only way he would have a point on that issue, would be if Brave looked fantastic and had a soft opening. Brave doesn't look fantastic. if it has a soft opening, it's its own fault.

I hope the Lorax is an eye-opener for the major animation studios. Everyone's been pushing these more "serious/drama" oriented style and tone in their films since about Rat or so. Meledandri is showing how the more old-school, physical humor and good fun movies can still pull in the really big bucks (Despicable Me and The Lorax).

The DM2 announcement trailer was more epic than anything Brave's shown so far.

Ratatouille, while it wasn't really funny, when rewatching is a subtle powerhouse. Fantastic movie. I'm not opposed to the light-heartedness of Despicable Me, but you don't really want them to be releasing throwaway after throwaway film a la Cars 2 or Madagascar 3. That said, elements in movies like Puss in Boots really didn't take off either.

And I can think back to past efforts where it failed. Prince of Persia, as I recall, was labeled as "from the producers of Pirates of the Caribbean". Remember Space Chimps? From the writers of Shrek! It made like 10% of what the Shrek's averaged...

Pixar has a unique and singular brand. Without it, I could imagine Brave doing far worse than it might actually (say it opens in the 40s, without Pixar, I could see this in the teens or twenties). Pixar's brand is fine. Each movie's run is dependent on its own quality. Wall-E had pacing issues, so instead of running into the mid or high 200s, it settled in the low 200s. It had the lead character, comedy and story to hit those high numbers, but it was too dull and slow at parts (my son fell asleep the first time we saw it in theaters). Rat's concept didn't have the broad appeal of some of their other concepts. Plus, it was more adult driven in storytelling and content. Thus, it opened lower and finished at 200. Cars 2 was too kiddish for a decent portion of Pixar's broad audience, and thus it sputtered out just shy of 200.

On the other hand UP had a nearly perfect blend of comedy and drama and was their first original (IMO) to nail it since TI.

Brave's run will depend on if it has its own issues like Rat, Wall-E, Cars 2, etc or if it nails it like UP did.

All this bad pub goes away if they release a trailer to die for, or if early reviews and screenings are through the roof (like most past Pixar efforts have been).

And yet, Up, is actually quite a weak film. People complain about Wall-E's second act but Up's second half doesn't hold up. Then again I have seen Wall-E twice. In fact, Cars 2 is a more even film than either Up or Wall-E, but being consistent when you're crap doesn't say much at all.