I don't think Up's was that natural at all. It went from being something different and potentially touching to a decidedly ordinary adventure story.

the first 10 minutes are the best there are, the first half is good, but with those unanatural dogs it is average at best

Oh how the mighty have fallen. I find myself waiting to see how long it stays about 70% this time...

It's hard to say since I haven't seen the movie yet, but even in Walt's day it didn't take long for the studio to not produce something up to their usual standards. And hell Pinocchio and Fantasia were outright flops in their first release.

Edited by DAR

It's hard to say since I haven't seen the movie yet, but even in Walt's day it didn't take long for the studio to not produce something up to their usual standards. And hell Pinocchio and Fantasia were outright flops in their first release.

Oh I know this. I'm just saying, before Cars 2 I'd be wondering how long the movie would stay 100% on RT; and now I'm just sitting here hoping it crawls above 70%... :mellow:

The more everyone keeps complaining about the RT score, the more I hope this movie pulls 250. Critics don't matter us much as the family when it comes to these movies.

However, I still think 3-5th weekend openers will kill it's chances at going that far.

(and agreed about The Pirates! -- it was awesome).

I am just guessing here, but just basing it on him already getting to direct a short (their funniest one in terms of character acting IMO, which I would assume could help some of these scenes that we see in the trailers that seem like they're forcing the humor). And I just stopped guessing at Sweetland, but we can go further with guys like Romano, Blaas, and Brenda Chapman (who you know is leaving after brave is released)...

Edit: I agree those animators would be good mentors for the up and coming but I think Pixar needs to change this push aside people who has shepherded a movie idea to its near completion for another director. I think a better idea would be to bring in smart people to help directors through their problems. For instance, I know Madagascar 3 wasn't some feat of great art but I think bringing Noah Baumbach to work through some story problems was a good thing for the story and the entire team working on that movie.

Unfortunately, I think Chapman is as good as gone but more importantly other people at Pixar could look at the situation and look to exit the studio out of disgust to the way Chapman was treated or worst, they don't put their foot forward out of fear they'll be treated the same way (if things go wrong on their movie).

Edited by iEye

The more everyone keeps complaining about the RT score, the more I hope this movie pulls 250. Critics don't matter us much as the family when it comes to these movies.

However, I still think 3-5th weekend openers will kill it's chances at going that far.

(and agreed about The Pirates! -- it was awesome).

I think the makers of The Pirates would prefer to disagree right now

I think the makers of The Pirates would prefer to disagree right now

No idea why they couldn't sell except for as CGI has gotten better, stop-motion no longer holds up. Aardman was also behind Arthur Christmas, right? No idea how that one failed like it did either :blink:

I'm curious to see what the barrage of reviews coming on Friday will put this at.

IIRC, Cars 2 started out semi-strongly at around 60% early on until the barrage on opening day... then it was that.

That should be fun to see... :blink: