Did you watch it already btw? What'd you think?

If I were a reviewer, yes, I might put "not as good as other Pixar," but if I even thought that if another studio made it that I'd like it, there's no way I'm rating it rotten like quite a few of those rottens did.

It's alright man, if you enjoy it that matters most. We already know Pixar is held to higher standards fair or unfair.

They shouldn't think about studio or director when writing about it? That's ridiculous. That's what you call pedigree. That's what gains you an audience. Pixar, through the sheer quality of their work, has raised expectations. We all judge Pixar more carefully because the standards have been so incredibly high for so long. I don't see what's wrong with critics saying this doesn't compare to their best work.

They shouldn't think about studio or director when writing about it? That's ridiculous. That's what you call pedigree. That's what gains you an audience. Pixar, through the sheer quality of their work, has raised expectations. We all judge Pixar more carefully because the standards have been so incredibly high for so long. I don't see what's wrong with critics saying this doesn't compare to their best work.

Quite few of the negative reviews on RT are because it's not up to Pixar standard. Which is a shame because movie's review should solely be based on it's merits.

Edited by druv10

I'm wondering if these kinds of reviews are less about unfairly putting down Brave and more about unfairly stereotyping these other studios, as if they're totally beneath them and whatever output they put out could not possibly be worth recommending, because some of the reviews where I'm seeing this comparison are still pretty brutal in their criticism of Brave.

True, which makes their review garbage to me. If you don't like it, just say it and leave it at that without invoking "not as good as Ratatouille!" or bringing down DWA. Don't try and soften it because it just hurts credibility IMO

Quite few of the negative reviews on RT are because it's not up to Pixar standard. Which is a shame because movie's review should solely be based on it's merits.

A lot of movies receive what people might see as "unfair" reviews. It happens. I also wanna add that critics have compared every Pixar movie to what came before it for years. This isn't new. Of course, when the reviews are raves, nobody has to say anything. When the film just might not be as good as what came before, it's not fair anymore?

Edited by RichWS

A lot of movies receive what people might see as "unfair" reviews. It happens. I also wanna add that critics have compared every Pixar movie to what came before it for years. This isn't new. Of course, when the reviews are raves, nobody has to say anything. When the film just might not be as good as what came before, it's not fair anymore?

It's not fair if they explicitly state they'd like it if it wasn't a Pixar movie since they expected much more, then grade it a rotten.

Well after the insanely high rating for Toy Story 3 and the ridiculously low (for Pixar) rating for Cars 2, a middling reception for their next effort was to be expected. Anyway, glad it's still fresh though, too bad I have to wait for Aug.1 to see this movie here :( I gave Cars 2 the benefit of the doubt but when I saw it I had to agree with the reviews. Let's see with Brave, I really feel this is a good one

Just finished up my Brave viewing. Seriously, those critics can suck it. That movie was magical and beautiful. Not sure where I'd rank it on the Pixar list, but it certainly met their standards IMO. Maybe the period piece with female princess protagonist put off critics because they aren't used to that, but this was not sub par. It was incredible.

My entire theatre clapped for a solid 10 seconds when the credits started rolling. WOM with families is going to be awesome. Mark those words.

Just finished up my Brave viewing. Seriously, those critics can suck it. That movie was magical and beautiful. Not sure where I'd rank it on the Pixar list, but it certainly met their standards IMO. Maybe the period piece with female princess protagonist put off critics because they aren't used to that, but this was not sub par. It was incredible.

My entire theatre clapped for a solid 10 seconds when the credits started rolling. WOM with families is going to be awesome. Mark those words.

Just saw this too, same here.

Not going to review it on this, I put my review in the review forum's thread. But basically the critics can bite me on this one.

I'm sure Brave will be another success but critics really can't expect Pixar to come up with a brilliant film year on year, even their not so good films like A Bug's Life and Cars 2 are still better than other animated films.

The budget of Brave is apparently $185m, lower than Cars 2 and Toy Story 3 but it's higher than Madagascar 3's $145m budget and Ice Age 4's $95m budget.