Ok, I just got back.

Critics are seriously wrong. This isn't Cars 2 or even the first Cars IMO. In fact, I'd go as far as to say this could be considered as a classic in the Pixar pantheon. All this "too safe, too conventional" crap is BS. The movie is actually pretty bold, especially for a kids movie. It is much darker than most animated movies and every Pixar movie before it. There were children about 6 or 7 crying because it got so scary in some parts. The only thing I would call 'safe' is humour at parts that could have been very emotional. I can see why they did that though, as it would have been too emotionally intense for kids to handle.

The visuals, are just stunning. I know it's an animated movie, but the movie has quite good use of cinematography. Almost as good as HTTYD. The score is amazing. If it doesn't get a nomination, I would sell my soul to the Devil before I sell it to the Academy.

As far as flaws go, again there are 'could have been' moments in funny parts and the movie could have been even better if it was 15-20 minutes longer as it was a little rushed.

As of now I'd say it's the second best movie of the year behind The Cabin in the Woods, which is enough to give it the A grade or 9/10. I think I'll see SW&TH to see if critics got that wrong too. Is June really that disappointing? This should have good legs. At least a 3.5x multiplier.

Here.

Has there been some sort of dynamic shift at Pixar that might be causing these problems?

Transition phase, is my guess.

A lot of the original brain trust are out doing their own thing (Lasseter, Bird, Stanton). New directors starting up, likely relying too much on the old brain trust's notes instead of trusting their gut (ironically what the old brain trust had to deal with when they were first starting out with Toy Story).

Growing pains. Ah well.

Yes, a bunch of the big guys at Pixar sat down around the time of TS1 and basically came up with all the ideas for all of their movies from A Bug's Life to Up. So that could very well be the problem. They've officially done all the great ideas they had. Now they're kind of aimless so to speak.

Not Up.

Like they reviewed the film without knowing it was THE BEAR AND THE BOW before? Talk about educating yourselves first.

Is everyone who sees the movie going to know about the original title? No, they aren't. I don't know whether I'll end up agreeing with them or not, but why can't we just accept these reviews for what they represent: People who didn't like the movie. Attacking them for some minor detail they got wrong or didn't acknowledge isn't going to change that.

Edited by tribefan695

Is everyone who sees the movie going to know about the original title? No, they aren't. I don't know whether I'll end up agreeing with them or not, but why can't we just accept these reviews for what they represent: People who didn't like the movie. Attacking them for some minor detail they got wrong or didn't acknowledge isn't going to change that.

It's absolutely reasonable that a site like that should know that it was called The Bear and The Bow before. And how is "too many bears" a real criticism anyway? It sounds vapid.

It's absolutely reasonable that a site like that should know that it was called The Bear and The Bow before. And how is "too many bears" a real criticism anyway? It sounds vapid.

Why? The title is really old news. It's not like it was changed yesterday.

And the bears are not a criticism in themselves, they just represent where he feels the movie went downhill. Heck, he does say "I'm a fan of bears"

Edited by tribefan695

Transition phase, is my guess.

A lot of the original brain trust are out doing their own thing (Lasseter, Bird, Stanton). New directors starting up, likely relying too much on the old brain trust's notes instead of trusting their gut (ironically what the old brain trust had to deal with when they were first starting out with Toy Story).

Growing pains. Ah well.

I think the defining moment which impacted Pixar the most was the passing of Joe Ranft

Don't stress out yourself.

Ok, I just got back.

Critics are seriously wrong. This isn't Cars 2 or even the first Cars IMO. In fact, I'd go as far as to say this could be considered as a classic in the Pixar pantheon. All this "too safe, too conventional" crap is BS. The movie is actually pretty bold, especially for a kids movie. It is much darker than most animated movies and every Pixar movie before it. There were children about 6 or 7 crying because it got so scary in some parts. The only thing I would call 'safe' is humour at parts that could have been very emotional. I can see why they did that though, as it would have been too emotionally intense for kids to handle.

The visuals, are just stunning. I know it's an animated movie, but the movie has quite good use of cinematography. Almost as good as HTTYD. The score is amazing. If it doesn't get a nomination, I would sell my soul to the Devil before I sell it to the Academy.

As far as flaws go, again there are 'could have been' moments in funny parts and the movie could have been even better if it was 15-20 minutes longer as it was a little rushed.

As of now I'd say it's the second best movie of the year behind The Cabin in the Woods, which is enough to give it the A grade or 9/10. I think I'll see SW&TH to see if critics got that wrong too. Is June really that disappointing? This should have good legs. At least a 3.5x multiplier.

Great to hear, I was seeing this ow regardless of its rt score (which is still only at like 13 reviews or something and could be back to high 70s/low 80s after another 150+ are counted) but it's nice to see some fellow posters really enjoy it.

Don't stress out yourself.

I could say the same to you, the one who's trying to find a way to discredit every single negative review because of some minor detail.

I'm glad Avatarfan liked the movie, but he, like those Schmoes, is only one guy. I don't think he speaks for me anymore than they do.

Edited by tribefan695

Like they reviewed the film without knowing it was THE BEAR AND THE BOW before? Talk about educating yourselves first.

One positive review said he liked the GrizzlyBear charade most. European GrizzlyBears? talking about lacking education in reviewers.

I could say the same to you, the one who's trying to find a way to discredit every single negative review because of some minor detail.

I'm glad Avatarfan liked the movie, but he, like those Schmoes, is only one guy. I don't think he speaks for me anymore than they do.

Minor detail? That's what's in their consensus.

Minor detail? That's what's in their consensus.

I guess this is kind of a drawback to the "blurb" system; people just read it and assume that it's the critic's complete opinion and that there is no unseen context that would make it more understandable. It's not supposed to be an abstract summary, just a piece of text provocative enough that it makes people want to click through and read the full review.

Edited by tribefan695