Wadey Wilsoney

And it was going so well...

Knowing. It was a decent watch for about two thirds of the movie. Then came the aliens...

I kinda have to give props to KNOWING -- it was batshit insane, but it stayed true to its batshit insane premise and had the balls to follow it through to the conclusion.

• Like 3

The Game

I always turn it off about 15 minutes before it really ends. One of the best thrillers i 've seen and then the incredibly silly, Dinsey ending happens.

High Tension

Awesome horror film up until the ending that felt really cheap.

Exam... a small movie that never really got a theatrical release. I watched it with a friend two weeks ago...

Let me fill in you. The movie takes place in an alternate history, where most of the population of the globe became dependent of a miracle drug that stopped a viral pandemic. There are 8 persons who take on an exam to be hired, but there was only one empty spot. They each get a pen and a empty piece of paper. They are explained the rules: they are not allowed to spoil the paper, talk directly to the guard next to the door, or to himself (the representative of the company). After he explains everything he asks them if there are any questions. No one says anything and he nods and exits.

The thing is the papers are empty, so the whole movie focuses on them trying to find out the question and the answer that they needed to complete in order to pass the exam. It's a interesting movie, but the end, the so said plot twist was stupid as fuck. The question they needed to answer was "Any questions?" (as the last thing he said), to which the answer was "No."

One of the worst endings ever... Overall, the movie was acceptable, but that ending...

I was watching "Exam" recently, as part of a general marathon of Movies with a lot of actors taking place in a single constrained setting (long title i know :) ). After watching quite a few of these movies, I realized that every single one of them starts off really strong - maybe the fact that the movie has to take place in a single setting is just a brilliant concept to start off with. But as the movie goes along you can see the writers really struggling with the concept, and 95% of these movies have a really dumb twist at the end or an ending which just does not go with the rest of the movie.

Of the movies I saw, i would rank them as follows:

Phone Booth, Saw, Cube, Cube Zero - These are the best ones, where the setting is localized (for the most part), and the final twists make sense in the context of the movie. The rest just suck once the concept runs dry.

The others i saw were - Cube 2: Hypercube, Exam, Breathing Room, Unknown, Fermat's Room (good all the way until the senseless twist at the end), Steel Trap.

• Like 1

The Game

I always turn it off about 15 minutes before it really ends. One of the best thrillers i 've seen and then the incredibly silly, Dinsey ending happens.

High Tension

Awesome horror film up until the ending that felt really cheap.

Ooh, I disagree, I think the ending is the point of the whole film. Makes it much stronger than just a thriller (though it's quite good as that as well). It's still one of the better fake-outs I've seen in theaters -- at the time, knowing who Fincher and Andrew Kevin Walker were (they were coming off SE7EN at the time), I completely believed they were going for the pitch-black, total bleakness ending, which would've been brutal but ultimately pointless.

The worst whiplash I have had while watching a movie has been for this Julianne Moore movie called "The Forgotten". For most of the movie, it plays like a conspiracy thriller, she can remember that she had a son where as everyone else dismissed it as a delusion - almost plays like "Flight Plan" for a long time. They keep building on the conspiracy subplot until....

People get literally sucked into the sky and freaking Aliens are behind the whole thing

• Like 1

Oh I forgot Return of the King! How could I forget that!

8 and a half hours of brilliance ruined by 30 minutes or so of mind numbingly dull rubbish.

Could also maybe add I am Legend too, Will Smith was near Oscar-worthy up to the point that other actors joined him on set.

Ooh, I disagree, I think the ending is the point of the whole film. Makes it much stronger than just a thriller (though it's quite good as that as well). It's still one of the better fake-outs I've seen in theaters -- at the time, knowing who Fincher and Andrew Kevin Walker were (they were coming off SE7EN at the time), I completely believed they were going for the pitch-black, total bleakness ending, which would've been brutal but ultimately pointless.

I agree. Without that ending the whole movie is just.... a bunch of nasty shit happening to Michael Douglas.

The worst whiplash I have had while watching a movie has been for this Julianne Moore movie called "The Forgotten". For most of the movie, it plays like a conspiracy thriller, she can remember that she had a son where as everyone else dismissed it as a delusion - almost plays like "Flight Plan" for a long time. They keep building on the conspiracy subplot until....

People get literally sucked into the sky and freaking Aliens are behind the whole thing

Oh shit, that movie was HORRIBLE! :lol:

I'll get shit for this, but I think Spirited Away was ruined for me by that fucking No Face. I think the movie just took a really unnecessarily grotesque turn there, and it just made me bummed and grossed out for the rest of the film

Edited by Jack Nevada

A movie stands on its own. It doesn't matter if it was Fincher's or Woody Allen's. I'm watching a certain character and a certain story. I can't view and judge a film because i know who the director is so i have to expect him to do some certain things. But when he doesn't and i 'm supposed to like it even though it doesn't make any sense at all and it's completely unbelievable. And Fincher actually only had Seven in his resume back then so it wasn't like he had a recognizable personal style yet. (OK he had Alien 3 also but lets not get into that)

I 'm a huge Fincher fan don't get me wrong (easily one of the Top-5 filmmakers working today) but i really can't believe that ending. It left me a scar since it was one of my favourite movies at the time up to those last 10 minutes.

P.S.

Your signature rocks. Great quote and the best action film (if you consider it one) ever made.

• Like 1