Ariadne

Game of Thrones (TV ONLY) [Leaked Spoilers prohibited]

Fantastic fight scenes... and that HUGE scythe hidden in the wall was fucking awesome! I really liked the entire hour spent on The Wall, since we hardly ever see it. And even though we hardly know Jon Snow and the crew, I thought it was really sad when Pyp died and we find Grenn dead later. I guess it's because they've been there since the beginning, and they've remained loyal to Jon. Ygritte's death in Jon's arms was well done too. "We should have stayed in that cave." Love lost due to some unfortunate decisions? Who hasn't been down that road...

• Like 1

Was it just me....

Or was that episode last night kind of lame compared to the other episode 9's we've seen....

Probably just you.

• Like 3

Fantastic fight scenes... and that HUGE scythe hidden in the wall was fucking awesome! I really liked the entire hour spent on The Wall, since we hardly ever see it. And even though we hardly know Jon Snow and the crew, I thought it was really sad when Pyp died and we find Grenn dead later. I guess it's because they've been there since the beginning, and they've remained loyal to Jon. Ygritte's death in Jon's arms was well done too. "We should have stayed in that cave." Love lost due to some unfortunate decisions? Who hasn't been down that road...

One thing that we didn't get in the show, probably due to budget considerations, is the book finale of the Southern Assault. For non-readers:

In the books Castle Black has no defensive walls, just several towers, and there is also a ramp up to the top of the Wall (in addition to the elevator) that criss-crosses back and forth up scaffolding. When the Thenns and Ygritte attack, most of the Night's Watch is either shooting arrows from the towers (like Jon who is on crutches at this point) or defending the scaffolding. The finale of this assault has the reveal that the guy in charge, Donal Noye (who was cut from the show) has rigged oil barrels at the bottom of the scaffolding and he has many of the Thenns, including their leader, pursue onto the lower ramps. He signals for Jon and other arches to shoot fire arrows at the barrels, the barrels ignite, the supports are burned out, and the bottom half of the scaffolding collapses, killing most of the remaining Wildings.

It's a cool feature that I suspect was cut for two reasons: 1) Budget, and 2) They put almost all of the Wall battle in one episode, instead of stretching it out over a few chapters like in the book (First is the attack from the south, then a chapter later Mance's army arrives to begin attacking the tunnel).

Was it just me....

Or was that episode last night kind of lame compared to the other episode 9's we've seen....

It wasn't just you. While I'm glad they finally spent a bunch of time at the wall, I don't know if we needed an hour long fight. I've read the books, so I knew it was coming and they did a pretty good job with it. But I don't think the fighting is why people watch. It wasn't a bad episode, I just think there have been better episodes this season.
  • Like 1

It wasn't just you. While I'm glad they finally spent a bunch of time at the wall, I don't know if we needed an hour long fight. I've read the books, so I knew it was coming and they did a pretty good job with it. But I don't think the fighting is why people watch. It wasn't a bad episode, I just think there have been better episodes this season.

I didn't think it needed to be an hour as well. I was looking forward to seeing what happened with Tyrion and the lannisters. The wall is my least favorite part, so maybe that's why I was eh to it, but I also think it's because normally the author kills a big character in episode 9's. I was expecting Jon to die, or even Sam. The fact that they both lived was kind of weird.

I didn't think it needed to be an hour as well. I was looking forward to seeing what happened with Tyrion and the lannisters. The wall is my least favorite part, so maybe that's why I was eh to it, but I also think it's because normally the author kills a big character in episode 9's. I was expecting Jon to die, or even Sam. The fact that they both lived was kind of weird.

This seems like the general consensus.

That's my major complaint with the show. They put too much emphasis on the KL stuff (even though I love it) and, as a result, a lot of the Unsullied don't give a crap about anything in the North. Which, in the grand scheme of things, is wayyyyyyy more crucial than whose ass sits on the metal chair in the South.My advice to people is to open your minds up to non-KL plot lines. There are some great stories there and, considering what's coming in future seasons, if all you care about is KL, you may be disappointed. There's a hell of a lot more to A Song of Ice and Fire than what the Lannisters are up to.

• Like 2

Why are people putting things about last night, especially opinions, in spoilers still? It became free reign in here after 1am ET.They've said all season long that there are many "Episode 9's" this year. We've already had 3 "Ep9-like" deaths this season.If they did it AGAIN in the same episode, it would kind of kill the surprise then, wouldn't it? Viewers would always know a huge death was coming in 9, so why would they be shocked by it? This was it keeps people guessing. You don't know when to expect things.I'd say that's the fault of the viewer for expecting things in an unpredictable show.

• Like 4

Oh the Battle at Blackwater is probably the best episode I've seen. Next will be probably the beheading of Ned.

My Top 5 episodes:

1. Blackwater

2. Baelor

3. The Lion and the Rose

4. Season 1 Finale (forgot the name)

5. Rains of Castamere

But I have a feeling next episode will crack the Top 3.

The Wall has been one of the better story lines this season. It's the Bran stuff that was an absolute snoozefest this season and last.

It doesn't help that the two most boring characters in the show are his "guardians" or whatever. 

Edited by Jawa of the Dreadfort

Rose Leslie brought sooo much to Ygritte. :wub::wub: She will be missed and I'm excited to see what she does in the future. I hope she makes it to the big screen soon enough. She's cute and her accent is sex!

Her show accent isn't her real life one. Rose Leslie actually has a rather posh London accent, as opposed to her Northern wildling brogue on the show.
  • Like 1