Rocky III  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The Rocky films are excellent. And as much as I like the drama of the first two I have to admit that I love the sheer exhiliration of part 3 and 4. I love this film.Mr. T. is a bad-ass villain. When you move on from the original story and take away all that Apollo Creed was to Rocky, you have to present the audience with more danger than the other films had. And early on you learn to hate Clubber Lang simply for the fact that he wants to take away what Rocky has. If you can create hatred for a character even though he is not a bad man, that is good writing. Clubber Lang is the embodiment of hate even though what he represents is will, determination, an insatiable desire for fame and greatness and to win the heavyweight boxing title. How do you hate a character like that? Well for one, you make him grunt and spit his words out like venom. You make him snarl and use words like "sucka" and phrases like " pity the foo". And you have to give Mr. T. credit for portraying the role as well as he did.Rocky III is as high on the entertainment scale as you can go and the only film that supercedes it in terms of wanting the underdog to win at all costs, is Rocky IV. This is a great film!

• Like 1

Good final fight, solid acting but silly moments do drag it down somewhat. And despite the personal passion with the passing of Mickey, it doesn't quite have the emotional, pardon the pun, punch the other two had. Still, decent enough movie.

***½/*****, (B, 7.5/10, 3/4)

Pretty much defined the "get beaten in the first fight, then come back stronger to win the rematch" formula.  A formula that is still pretty effective to this day.

Agreed, however some films take it too far, like by getting their back snapped only to come back stronger to win the rematch.

Agreed, however some films take it too far, like by getting their back snapped only to come back stronger to win the rematch.

As opposed to getting thrown back into a solid brick wall, only to not have your spine shattered.

Or having fireproof legs when a huge firey explosion goes off less than 20 feet from you.

Or where billowy blouses and yoga pants are apparently fireproof to temperatures lightly over half that generated by the Sun.

OR getting yanked out from under tons of debris by your human hand without having it end up like that scene from The Blob.

OR putting on an areal show where a normal person can carry several people in one arm without tearing their shoulder out of its socket.

As opposed to getting thrown back into a solid brick wall, only to not have your spine shattered.

Or having fireproof legs when a huge firey explosion goes off less than 20 feet from you.

Or where billowy blouses and yoga pants are apparently fireproof to temperatures lightly over half that generated by the Sun.

OR getting yanked out from under tons of debris by your human hand without having it end up like that scene from The Blob.

OR putting on an areal show where a normal person can carry several people in one arm without tearing their shoulder out of its socket.

Yeah so, your point being?? Im not saying IM3 is perfect by any means, that's the difference here Squaremaster ;)

People will take you more seriously when you start acting less biased.

Yeah so, your point being?? Im not saying IM3 is perfect by any means, that's the difference here Squaremaster ;)

People will take you more seriously when you start acting less biased.

Less biased?  All you do is go around spamming posts about TDKR's faults and exaggerating them while ignoring similar faults in other films.

Less biased?  All you do is go around spamming posts about TDKR's faults and exaggerating them while ignoring similar faults in other films.

Well, that's not ALL I do, and when have I ignored similar faults in other movies? And I don't exaggerate, after all I rank TDK Trilogy as a whole pretty high.

Rocky III follows the threequel curse, but still manages to be a very entertaining film. This is the first Rocky movie I'd say is actually about boxing, rather than Rocky as a character. There are three (and a half) fights in it, rather than the singular fight in the predecessors, and although they are all thrilling and well-choreographed, you're missing out on the great character work the previous installments featured strongly. Mr. T is fun as a character that's essentially the anti-Rocky; the most interesting sequence of the film is a training montage for HIM, while Rocky becomes domesticated. Carl Weathers' expanded role is welcome, and Stallone turns in lesser work as Rocky, that's still good enough for this film. Rocky III is a fun watch, but a notable step down from the predecessors that I doubt I'll remember anything from tomorrow besides Mr. T and Hulk Hogan's bizarre setpiece. C