Plain Old Tele

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it.

There's a special place in my heart for Enterprise-Travels-Back-In-Time stories, and ST4 is up there with the best of them (like City on the Edge of Forever). The film makes ample use of fish-out-of-water gags, but never gets a mere parody. It's the funniest ST movie by far: Spock's ears and generally trying to blend in, Checkov checking out the nuclear-powered carrier, Scotty trying to communicate with a stone-age computer, Bones experiencing a 20th century hospital ...

The film is far from perfect - plot holes abound, starting with the silly premise (the probe destroying earth by communication), and the environmental "message" is written in overlarge letters, but still a very entertaining and endearing film. A from me!

• Like 2

There's a special place in my heart for Enterprise-Travels-Back-In-Time stories, and ST4 is up there with the best of them (like City on the Edge of Forever). The film makes ample use of fish-out-of-water gags, but never gets a mere parody. It's the funniest ST movie by far: Spock's ears and generally trying to blend in, Checkov checking out the nuclear-powered carrier, Scotty trying to communicate with a stone-age computer, Bones experiencing a 20th century hospital ...The film is far from perfect - plot holes abound, starting with the silly premise (the probe destroying earth by communication), and the environmental "message" is written in overlarge letters, but still a very entertaining and endearing film. A from me!

Agree with this. So nothing to add.

What did I just watch?  :lol:

Light and enjoyable, didn't stray far from the formula I expected but I guess it was fun. Nice performances, and there's the mom from Seventh Heaven lol

The central premise is such a huge WTF though

• Community Manager

B+

A light end to a trilogy (Wrath of Khan and The Search for Spock) that is entertaining. It might not take itself as seriously but this was a good Trek movie. Way better than the next one.

I have been trying to watch all Trek films before Beyond, I've pretty much only been a Star Trek fan of JJ's films, but this is now the first pre- Abrams film I can say I truly liked and had a blast watching. An out of time buddy comedy with a crazy premise was not what I was expecting from Star trek! it's strangely probably the closest in tone to the new films as well, and it was such a fun movie compared to the overly serious Wrath of Khan. (which don't get me wrong was easily the best before watching this one) B+

I can't stress enough how stupid the whole affair is, but it's hugely enjoyable so it doesn't really matter. Best of the series so far.

Voyage Home 80/100

Motion Picture 70/100

Wrath of Khan 55/100

Search for Spock 50/100

Edited by Goffe

I just don't get it still hahah I like the bookends but damn those 50 minutes are earth I can't get into really haha although Double Dumbass is hilarious. 

They are racing against whalers at the end, doesn't have me on the edge of my seat?

But I guess the biggest thing and I've seen this 3 times now and have rewinded and rewatched the scene a few times.... Ok lets time travel in a Klingon ship. BOOM just like that. No discussion, no is that possible. Its pretty much, we are attempting time travel, go around the sun or whatever and boom back in time. Ohhhhh. You think that would be a big thing. 

Also when the probe destroys the earth, they show like the water, the sky, thats it. Then 2 minutes later its the same two shots. So I guess I'm just never like oh fuck they have to go back in time to save the future. Its all kinda glides over it. Like fuck if you think about the Stakes are FAR higher in this film then any of the other 5 yet its done the most lighthearted. Its not bad, I just can't get into it personally.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

But I guess the biggest thing and I've seen this 3 times now and have rewinded and rewatched the scene a few times.... Ok lets time travel in a Klingon ship. BOOM just like that. No discussion, no is that possible. Its pretty much, we are attempting time travel, go around the sun or whatever and boom back in time. Ohhhhh. You think that would be a big thing. 

The Enterprise (and her crew) had already time-travelled repeatedly -- through rifts, through alien artifacts, and so forth. So from their perspective, perhaps not quite so astonishing. But also, just from looking at the film as a narrative construct: what's the hook? The crew back in the 20th century. The movie's efficient in getting to that point instead of dragging out that first act longer just to try and make it more dramatically. We know it's gonna happen -- that's the concept of the movie -- so stretching it out is kinda false drama, so to speak. (As a complete digression, this is a problem with most modern action scenes: they posit a life or death scenario with the hero, but we know s/he's gonna live, so the drama is minimized.)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Tele Loves Bay & Twilight said:

The Enterprise (and her crew) had already time-travelled repeatedly -- through rifts, through alien artifacts, and so forth. So from their perspective, perhaps not quite so astonishing. But also, just from looking at the film as a narrative construct: what's the hook? The crew back in the 20th century. The movie's efficient in getting to that point instead of dragging out that first act longer just to try and make it more dramatically. We know it's gonna happen -- that's the concept of the movie -- so stretching it out is kinda false drama, so to speak. (As a complete digression, this is a problem with most modern action scenes: they posit a life or death scenario with the hero, but we know s/he's gonna live, so the drama is minimized.)

But from a film context I have no idea that they can do this (not seeing the show). And its the same thing here with the whales, I know they are going to save the whales. But saving the whales lacks any tension and in reality they are saving 15 billion souls on earth but I never feel that thrust. I should feel both, yet it forgets about its future plot. 

I undertand where you're coming from though we all know they are going to go back in time already so lets get there quickly. But it still takes them like 33minutes. So they had the time to explain more.    

1 hour ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Ok lets time travel in a Klingon ship. BOOM just like that. No discussion, no is that possible. Its pretty much, we are attempting time travel, go around the sun or whatever and boom back in time. Ohhhhh. You think that would be a big thing. 

Yeah, that's what is so stupid about this movie. Time travel is treated with such triviality, you don't even need special equipment for god's sake, that you can't help but wonder why everyone with a spaceship doesn't try it, and more importantly, why isn't it used every time there's danger around the corner. It makes even less sense when you put big governments into the equation. 

But like I said, I don't really mind it, the movie doesn't take itself seriously, why should we?

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

You can safely say, they won't make a Star Trek like this ever again.  It's so un-Trek that is actually completely Trek.  I wouldn't call it a good film by any means.  The plot is downright ridiculous.  But the great thing about Trek vs. Star Wars is that you can take your actors and do a film like this.  This found the mainstream because it's everyone at the top of their game doing everything that is silly about Trek and it just worked.

B/B+

I'm curious why several of you don't think it's a good movie. It's a comedy that's funny. It also achieved its objective of bringing a lot of awareness to some environmental issues that a lot of people weren't familiar with back then. 

It succeeded in being what it wanted to be -- why is it "not good"?

• Like 1

But it's not only a comedy and I thought that the parts that weren't comedic didn't work at all. I can get over the ridiculous plot, but the movie just didn't make me care about the point of their whole mission, you know, saving the Earth :lol: I know that a big part of that is the age and the budget but I don't think that's a valid excuse for failing to deliver good suspense.

I agree that it's a great comedy, but it's a comedy for 30 minutes tops and the other parts really tend to drag. I also agree that it was good to have the environmental message, even if its delivery was way on the nose :lol: 

It's a movie I really enjoyed but I doubt I'll ever watch again, except maybe some of the fish out of water scenes.

• Like 1