Plain Old Tele

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it.

A very close 2nd to TWOK in the pantheon of Trek movies. Whilst it kind of drags in the middle, the first attack + the final battle are both such good set pieces that any other misgivings are sidelined. And Eidelmann's score is excellent.

Oh, and THIS:

'I am constant as the Northern Star'

'I'd give real money if he'd shut up'

• Like 2

Up to a certain point, Undiscovered Country was a sure contender for best Star Trek film yet, displaying more maturity than any of its predecessors, then Kirk is sentenced to life imprisonment and genre conventions take over, which is sad because something really special was being set up in the first half. 

Kirk goofing around in prison and basic 'save someone important at the last second' climax is not what I was promised.

Voyage Home 75/100

Motion Picture 70/100 

Undiscovered Country 70/100 

Wrath of Khan 55/100

Search for Spock 50/100

Final Frontier 45/100

Edited by Goffe

14 hours ago, Goffe said:

Up to a certain point, Undiscovered Country was a sure contender for best Star Trek film yet, displaying more maturity than any of its predecessors, then Kirk is sentenced to life imprisonment and genre conventions take over, which is sad because something really special was being set up in the first half. 

Kirk goofing around in prison and basic 'save someone important at the last second' climax is not what I was promised.

Voyage Home 75/100

Motion Picture 70/100 

Undiscovered Country 70/100 

Wrath of Khan 55/100

Search for Spock 50/100

Final Frontier 45/100

I suppose it could be worse.

I hope you liked the touch at the end with all of the main cast signing their names. 

I still think the first half is better than the second after sleeping on it, most scenes that stay with you long after you saw the movie are in the first half, like this one

the last minute is perhaps the best moment of the first 6 Treks.

Edited by Goffe