baumer

Oblivion (2013)

81 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Cool can you elaborate

I pretty much hated TRON: LEGACY, so I had zero expectations about the concept or story. I also stayed relatively spoiler-free (for some reason, never even saw the trailers). I knew it was a ruined-earth SF movie, but that's about it. Even after it opened, I heard there was a "twist" that was "super obvious" but didn't really know more details.

I had the opportunity today to catch a matinee and decided on this (instead of PAIN & GAIN or 42) because I wanted to see it in IMAX, since Kosinski shot on the F65 and framed specifically for that format. Visually, it was stunning: I loved pretty much every aspect of the production design and how it was shot. Loved the sound design and soundtrack as well; it was reminiscent of Daft Punk's effort on T:L -- new modern take on a traditional score.

Storywise, it moved in fits and spurts. Definitely some clunky moments, and even a scene or two I felt should have been re-arranged differently (his first trip to his cabin should've happened MUCH earlier, on his first exploration; it felt very odd and out-of-character where it ended up, right in the middle of what seemed like a looming threat). And the "twist" (or "twists") were not particularly hard to guess, especially with how the movie started (another awkward moment where Kosinski seems too eager to give you info instead of more delicately integrating it). And the movie goes right up to the edge of A Twist Too Far, where you just throw up your hands and say, fuck it, that's too much. But.... it didn't. And I found myself not only caught up and engaged in the story, but that the story hit the right and appropriate beats as it progressed. After it was over, in retrospect, pieces seemed to fit together much better than they initially seemed (partway through that crazy long second act).

Sure, it was a pastiche of many classic SF tropes, but it had attitude, style, and ambition, and for the most part, pulled all that shit off in style. I dug it. B+/A- territory for me, right now.

• Like 6

I'd have given a lot to be able to see it again for the first time - WITHOUT knowing most of the twists beforehand.

I was robbed of that experience (damn trailers!!), and it must have been marvelous. :(

Otherwise, saw it for the EIGHTH time yesterday, it's still as beautiful.

Edited by shayhiri

Watched Oblivion in 3rd week in bangalore (india) in a plex called INOX it had housefull crowd many Hollwood blockbusters fail to get a good crowd here after 2 weeks!!! :)

its a masterpiece i dint find any major flaw but climax...nope the oly flaw in the movie!!! overall a great entertainer

wud go for a 9/10 for this awesome sci-fi flick!!!

Saw this a second time over the weekend.  Still can't decide how much I like it or not, but goddamn is that flying chase sequence with the 3 drones fantastic.  Strapping the actors in and actually rotating them around did so much to add to the impact of that scene.  I need to see that in every movie from now on.  :)

A very very good movie, which turned out to be better than I expected.

I had somewhat low expectations based on the trailers, and Kosinski pleasantly surprised and beat those expectations.

While the plot had weaknesses, I liked how they didn't spoon feed you everything in the film, and that you had to think about certain things.

The plot overall was somewhat thin, and things could have been fleshed out a bit more. The writing was average in the film. However, the rest of the film was excellent. Visually the film was amazing. Kosinski has solidified himself as a visually visionary director with tons of style. Tron Legacy and Oblivion just ooze style. The cinematography was great, and the acting was solid for the most part, the twist was not a huge twist, but was still pretty cool.  The soundtrack from M83 was superb, almost as good as Daft Punk's Tron Legacy soundtrack.

The strengths of the film more than made up for the weaknesses, and the film was thoroughly engrossing for myself.

The film has still been stuck in my mind, and I certainly want to get a chance to watch it again if possible in IMAX. I saw it in a regular theater, and even there it was very good.

When Kosinski gets a hold of a great script, he's going to make an incredible film.

My initial rating for the film was a B+, but after thinking it over my overall rating is an A-. The best film of the year so far for me.

Edited by ACCA
  • Like 2

A very very good movie, which turned out to be better than I expected.I had somewhat low expectations based on the trailers, and Kosinski pleasantly surprised and beat those expectations.While the plot had weaknesses, I liked how they didn't spoon feed you everything in the film, and that you had to think about certain things.The plot overall was somewhat thin, and things could have been fleshed out a bit more. The writing was average in the film. However, the rest of the film was excellent. Visually the film was amazing. Kosinski has solidified himself as a visually visionary director with tons of style. Tron Legacy and Oblivion just ooze style. The cinematography was great, and the acting was solid for the most part, the twist was not a huge twist, but was still pretty cool. The soundtrack from M83 was superb, almost as good as Daft Punk's Tron Legacy soundtrack.The strengths of the film more than made up for the weaknesses, and the film was thoroughly engrossing for myself.The film has still been stuck in my mind, and I certainly want to get a chance to watch it again if possible in IMAX. I saw it in a regular theater, and even there it was very good.When Kosinski gets a hold of a great script, he's going to make an incredible film.My initial rating for the film was a B+, but after thinking it over my overall rating is an A-. The best film of the year so far for me.

Iron Man 3 has taken IMAX screens now so you missed it

Iron Man 3 has taken IMAX screens now so you missed it

That's a shame, I'll have to rewatch it on a regular screen then.

This movie was a lot better than Iron Man 3. 

Yes it is, and this is one of those sad cases where the better film is getting a lot less attention and making a lot less at the box office.

• Like 1

Finally saw this 

Its a solid effort 

Cruise was very good and Andrea too ... Olga wasn't but then again she was under developed to and fro so I can't chalk it up to just her acting skills 

The plot was serviceable and held it together with that great fuck you sally moment ... until the obligatory hollywood nonsense must happen ( I really don't know why I mean its not like it made the viewing experience better for anyone ). Why can't he just sacrifice himself and then we cut to her being ok on earth ... I mean 3 years later his clone shows up ( why 3 years later why not sooner ) and what about the fact that there are at least 50 of them out there I mean what if they all come to claim her ... do they duke it out ? or does she live happily ever after with all of them bukkake style ? 

I know it sounds stupid to complain about this but when I'm watching a sci fi movie I expect each explanation to be logical ... I mean that's sorta the point of a sci fi movie 

Anyway, nice homage to some other BETTER sci fi films and at the end of the day while it did become somewhat generic in the second half it also had some interesting approaches for this big of a film 

All in all 

7/10 

Why can't he just sacrifice himself and then we cut to her being ok on earth ... I mean 3 years later his clone shows up ( why 3 years later why not sooner ) and what about the fact that there are at least 50 of them out there I mean what if they all come to claim her ... do they duke it out ? or does she live happily ever after with all of them bukkake style ?

Exactly what I thought. Gangbang or a Bachelor contest show but since they all look and act the same (fuck the same?), that would be a tough choice. :P

All in all, I had low expectations and surprinsingly I was more engrossed to the derivative story but yet effective that I ever thought I'd be even if I knew most of the twists prior to my viewing thanks to the dynamics between Cruise, Riseborough and Leo/Sally/Tet. That's something of an improvement because Tron Legacy was such a chore to sit through now I could make it to the end of the movie without falling asleep, I guess Kosinski is learning from his flaws and that's a testament of his improvement as a visual storyteller even if it still has long sequences looking like a M83 clip and ankward repetitive flashback scenes, Cruise's acting and consistent post-apocalyptical art direction make it interesting enough and more lively than bland and dull actors in TL lost in boring dark neon blue.

Kosinski pays a lot of homage to scifi classics and seems to be late after Moon but I managed to brush that off to enjoy it as its own beast, a lot of scenes rang true (even if Kurylenko's acting is choppy) especially "we're not an effective team anymore" scene and action scenes (kudos to Cruise's ship and drones Apple-like designs that gave way to enjoyable action scenes, liked the way Cruise's ship lifts off the skyhouse bay).

A-

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

Nice to see a lot of people gave this movie a chance and liked it. I hope it finds a bigger audience on DVD/Blu ray

One of my favorites this year, to be honest. Not even Man of Steel tops it for me.

• Like 1

So after seeing this twice I can definitely say I enjoyed. The visuals were amazing and its the most beautiful film I have seen all year, with the score also being one the best this year. Tom Cruise gives a strong performance as always but I didn't feel the same for the two actresses, they weren't bad it just felt like they didn't have much to work with. Overall the film could have done with a bit more explanation, but I was glad that the film made me think, something most films don't do these days. I felt that maybe if more effort had been made to flesh out the story/script it honestly could have been one of the best films this year. But alas it merely settles for an enjoyable one.

B+