Plain Old Tele

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (1937)

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (1937)  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Well, what can I say - it's the classic handdrawn animation film, made in an era when animation wasn't considered kid's stuff, so they put more work into it (and the following 4 productions)  than they could afford in later decades. It still holds up perfectly, the animation is beautiful, the timing good, there's visual gags and lots of dynamic. Also, one of the most successful films at the BO.

It was in fact so successful that in many peoples memories it replaced the "original" tale, and if today some girl wears a Snow White costume, you can be 99% sure that it's at least a good copy of the Disney one. Also, it's nearly forgotten that in the story, the queen tries thrice for SnowWhite's life, the apple being only the 3rd assault.

It's never been a favorite of the "classic" Disney films. I find Snow White and especially the Prince to be extremely dull. But it boasts a great villain in the Queen. And the Dwarves are wonderful in every way. B+

that was me. can never understand why such inane slosh can be considered great just because it's classic. stories have existed for more than a century! i suppose it's well animated, but everything else is unbearable, from the awful disney tropes that were cliché well before disney existed to the appalling sexism that is ten times worse than most films even in its time.

D+

Wife and I started a run through Disney's animation library last night, and it only makes sense to start with the fairy tale that started it all.

One of those rare classic films that is great as a result of its influence and the fact the it still holds up to this day.  Snow White is likely the flattest aspect of the film, but thankfully there's enough charm at hand that it doesn't really mean a damn thing.  The story here flows so seamlessly it's hard to not get wrapped up in its innocence and purity.

Very much a work of art and a staple of classic cinema.

Edited by mattmav45

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is pretty average. Yes, it revolutionized feature animation, but it has awful pacing for an 83 minute film, stuffed with so much filler it's obvious the film really only has enough material for a half hour special. Some of the music is great and there are a lot of iconic moments, yet overall, it's just an interesting historical document. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs might have changed film history, but as for getting actual enjoyment out of it, it's a complete mixed bag. C+