Crunching the Numbers: Lucky Number Slevin

Vast Dark was in the Prestige Category?  :blink:

By this point Alfred's making arthouse horror films with Vast Dark, trying to push the limit with what he can get away with in themes and plotting.

For example in the previous film he turned the entire middle of the film in a Revolutionary War flick. And it was awesome in in the nonsense it made.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

By this point Alfred's making arthouse horror films with Vast Dark, trying to push the limit with what he can get away with in themes and plotting.

For example in the previous film he turned the entire middle of the film in a Revolutionary War flick. And it was awesome in in the nonsense it made.

But Vast Dark is your usual October horror movie...

Anyways. LucIId A Blankments ProductionPride Before the FallLucid was a very entertaining film. Trippy and clever and not overly stylistic or eog-driven. Unfortunately LucIId thinks because Lucid went so well, it will take what Lucid did, crank it up to 11, and things will be even better. Well, unless you are Michael Bay sequelizing a Michael Bay film, this process usually doesn't turn out so well. The result is a film that thinks it is way more clever, original, and creative than it really is.For all of the zany setups and outlandish designs for the dream levels, they all boil down to a wash-rinse-repeat approach to the plot. Simply replicating the same thing for 4 dream levels with variations in setting and the occasional over-the-top action segment doesn't make for a really innovative or original or smart way of telling a story. Simply making a cool premise for a dream only goes so far when the execution of the dream world ends up subpar.The flashbacks, while building up the original Mark human as a character, kinda feel out of place since we really get little to no insight into the actual real world and why all of these shennanigans are going on. Really all LucIId amounts to is going "So we got this big mystery and mythology and conspiracy angle!!! But instead of showing you that or explaining it to you, go watch us impersonate a Godzilla movie for 10 minutes!!!" Frustrating and annoying, simply putting off and delaying answers and details deliberately to milk things along for an artificial trilogy.C

• Like 1

The Box Office Category

1. Spark 2: Ignition: B+
2. Amulet: B+
3. Blank: B+
4. Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson vs. Santa Claus, Ultimate Badass: B+

5. Unbalanced 4: B+
6. Justice League: B

7. The Chronicles of Narnia...: B
8. Call of Duty: Eye of the Storm: B
9. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer: B-
10. The Wanders: Prometheus
11. Journey: C+

12. LucIId: C
13. The Academy: D+
14. The Martian Chronicles: D

• Like 1

BET UPDATES!!!!

Alpha
LucIId will grade higher than Martian Chronicles. (Type 1) Betting 40 points.

SUCCESS!!!!

Spaghetti
Risk Management gets at least an A (Type 2, Betting 30 Points)
SUCCESS!!!

The Wanders ranks in 11th place (Type 3, Betting 20 points)

FAILED!!! (10th Place finish)

Blank
LucIId will at least recieve a B+ (Type 2, betting 20 points)

FAILED

Alfred
LucIId will rank above Chuck and Liam, (Type 1, betting 20 points)

FAILED

The main complaint with the first Lucid I got was that I did too much explaining with not enough action and characters, so I went the opposite direction for this one... Guess that didn't work out as well as I hoped. :unsure:

The main complaint with the first Lucid I got was that I did too much explaining with not enough action and characters, so I went the opposite direction for this one... Guess that didn't work out as well as I hoped. :unsure:

Those people were wrong I guess, since I thought Lucid 1 was solid, entertaining, a good mix of story and style.

• Like 1

As the winner of Bet Mode you gain an exclusive pre-read to any Year 8 film of mine you want, aside from Chrono Heist which is locked in for riczhang.

If I had to choose which one, it'd be Starcraft: Brood War. That would be interesting.