• F

The Artist

2:45 PM - 571 Seats SOLD OUT - Paris Theater NYC

Trailers:

Young Adult - All the old people were laughing

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - I think this looks great

W.E. - I thought of The King's Speech

Movie:

Uggie the dog is probably the best part of the movie. He's loyal and strong and awesome. George Valentin was really funny and Peppy Miller had a great rags to riches story. Hm, what else... There's a part where he has a dream about staying silent when movies get sound and it's hilarious.

It's hard to believe it kept my concentration with no words (well, like three are spoken at the end) and there are some scenes that have no music so you're just sitting there quietly. It's weird :P The music was great as well as the dancing. I can see the Best Picture-ness in there but I don't know, it really isn't THAT good. I thought The Descendants (which I just saw last night) was better.

Still great though and everyone clapped at the end.

I liked it!I thought the lead performances were good (I'm thinking Jean Dujardin will likely get an best actor nod)I think this will get a best pic nomination. It's different enough, and it's buzz will most likely help. As far as a win, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be suprised if it did.It was an enjoyable film & the performance (iincluding Uggie) were are strong!

Posted Image

The Artist

4:30PM Friday, December 23rd

AMC Boston Common 19 & Lie-MAX

Theater Capacity: 145 (20% full; mostly old folks)

Ticket Price: $11.50

TRAILERS:

Pariah - good trailer, some talking from audience.

Albert Nobbs - the trailer gets creepier upon multiple viewings and the song is cheesy. No reaction.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - funny trailer, excellent reaction.

Regeneration - looks like an awesome music documentary; garnered some whispers of support from audience.

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - please... I'll trust any movie with Ewan McGregor in it. This got some laughs from audience, too.

W.E. - this was the first I'd heard of this Madonna-directed movie, but it looks like an interesting take on the history of 1930's British Royalty. A lot of "Hmmms" from audience.

The Iron Lady - very powerful trailer, and a good reaction too.

THE FILM:

When I first saw a trailer for The Artist, I got goosebumps, which to me means only one thing: watch this movie as soon as possible! Unlike most of the films whose trailers have given me goosebumps, however, The Artist does not fall short on its promise. It not only earns all the high praise its received among critics, but also restores your faith in the preservation of cinematic history and story-telling.

In case you haven't heard of the film, it's about a silent movie star who has a chance-encounter with a budding young actress, and following his opposition to appear in talkies (movies with talking/dialogue), his career begins to fall while the young actress experiences a meteoric rise to fame. Since The Artist itself is a silent film, it depends largely on the physical performances of its leads--Jean Dujardin, Bérénice Bejo, and Oggy (an exceptionally talented dog)--and an amusingly orchestrated score. Despite this being the first full-length silent film I've ever watched, I've gotta confess how huge a fan I am of the style. But more interestingly, I'm fascinated by how significantly this style intertwined with the story being told... the two really depend on each other. And then I love how the absence of dialogue forces you to really concentrate on the nature of the scenes and the physicality of the performances.

Honestly, again, the trailer does an excellent job selling the package, so I linked it below for you to watch. I will definitely be rooting for The Artist come the night of the Oscar telecast; especially in the Best Actor, Score, and Sound Editing/Mixing categories. With a bus load films that are out for the holidays (many of which I've seen already), it is The Artist that I recommend to all people of all ages to go see.

With pleasure.

THE VERDICT: 10.0 / 10.0, A+

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK7pfLlsUQM

Do the Weinsteins have naked photos of every member of the academy while sucking each other off, while in a Nazi pose while strangling a dog? They must. That's the only way you can explain every film they purchase being mentioned for Oscars. The Artist is a horrible film about a time in film that has been extinct for 80 years. There is nothing appealing about this film. The acting is a joke and the fact that it is going to be up for best original screenplay solidifies my point. 0/10

I didn't cry. I got emotional during the base jumping scene because it literally took my breath away. It was like being there. And it was a fantastic experience.